Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Regarding Korean Ginseng

I have recently added this ginseng tea to my regimen, though I didn't do it for NBE benefits. My wife, ( my precious little S Korean ), gets it from one of her sisters, so I'm afraid I can't help with sourcing it. She has us taking it mostly for it's circulatory system effects. At our ages, 61 and 54, that can be a plus. She steeps the roots in a slow cooker, (I'd have to ask how long), then refrigerates the resulting tea. To make a long post shorter, I'm not a tea drinker of any kind. To make it palatable for me, she adds a teaspoon of pure honey to a heated cup of tea for me. Tastes much better to me, and unless you're allergic, diabetic, or have an aversion to a little sweetness, there are benefits to be had from the honey as well. It's just a thought for those who may be thinking of adding it.

Hi Patti,

Panax ginseng (= Korean ginseng) does increase estriol. However, the body metabolizes estriol fast, in 1 to 4 hours, so Koreans drink the tea often. If you keep up with the pace, the NBE effect should be as strong as that of estradiol.

I have a tin of root here, but I didn't know it can be cooked. Are you sure the water is boiling? I'm also interested to read how long she cooks them for.

Good morning Isabelle,
Thanks for asking, and fair warning , this will be a bit long. First off, a few words on ginseng. Roots are a bit pricey, capsules not so much. If you use the capsules, peruse the labels carefully, as many will have little ginseng. Ginseng has many "benefits", as you may search and discover, one of which being its' ability to be used as a testo booster. A simple adjustment of whatever anti-andro you use should cover this. Honestly, I've been using 5 mg Premarin and 50 mg Cyproterone daily for a year, and the ginseng has been of no revelence as far as NBE. I'm at a full 38B, and the little "fella" is extremely hard to arouse ( no pun intended), and at full stream manages maybe a dewdrop. I feel that as a tea it is probably of less strength than powder or capsules, especially if one is of the "if 1 is good, more must be great", attitude. Yes, I've been a member of that club, too. In short, check out the ginseng info before you decide. Lastly, there are different types of ginseng. We use Korean red ginseng, grown 10 years, then the soil is rested 10 more years before planting. Surely has something to do with the price.
Now, to really get to your question. Her slow cooker holds approximately 2 quarts/litres. In this, she places 3 roots, about 3/4-1 inch diameter, and 4-5 inches long. Water is added to within about 1 inch of the top, and the cover is put on. Cover is not a sealed type, so water can boil off slowly. She sets it on high, which on a slow cooker is not extremely hot, but does BOIL the water, as evidenced by some steam and bubbles escaping the rim of the cover. (A caution, if you leave it on overnight, set it to low, to continue the process, but lessen the chance of possibly drying it out). The brewing should continue untill such time as the water level is about 1/2 of what you started at . Pour into a container, cap it, and start anew. Yes, those pricey roots will yield a total of at least 4 batches, maybe more if you don't mind weaker tea. We hold at 4, and it maintains consistency very well. If you go for more, then I would consider using another for the finished tea. We put all 4 in one container. She uses it atraight, but I have to have mine with honey. Tea to me is like whiskey without the sour. Depending on the size of your root Blush , you can always adjust the amount of water, I imagine. The process should be nearly identical.
As a side note, I have changed my regimen since I received my PM. I now take only 2.5 mg of Premarin, same 50 mg of Cypro, 3000 of PM, and 900 mg of SP, all /day, and split up in 2 dosings, maybe a bit excessive, but absolutely no ill efects. Still taut, and still mucho tenderness around the nips, which I take to mean there is still growing going on. Mom and sis were easy DDs. Yes, they do show, and no, I really don't give a rat's a-- . (Like I said, I've played with the "more is better" crowd a time or two)!! Went to the doc today for a rash, and got a steroid shot for the itching, and pills for..Yeast Infection!!! Am I arriving?? Interestingly enough, she said nothing when I raised my sweater and she saw the "Girls", with no hair in sight.
I know, long-winded, but I hope I've answered your questions.
We're all riding a "horse of adventure" here, and what a journey it has been so far!! Take care, Patti

Thank you Patti,

for taking the time to explain this. I already suspected this root (ahem...) should have come (erm...) with a manual.

(20-11-2011, 12:22 PM)Isabelle Wrote:  Panax ginseng (= Korean ginseng) does increase estriol. However, the body metabolizes estriol fast, in 1 to 4 hours, so Koreans drink the tea often. If you keep up with the pace, the NBE effect should be as strong as that of estradiol.

Hi Isabelle,

related, but slightly off-topic - should I open a new thread.

I'm interested in what you say about metabolisation time.

For reasons I mentioned earlier (stiffness around kidneys) I elect to spread my dosage of PM over the day.

I take 3g daily, so it works out at around 500mg every 3 hours.
Coincidentally (psychologically?) I find that the mental effects start to tail off after about that amount of time.

E.g. last night I took my last capsule at around 2330. I awoke at around 0445 this morning (due to laying in an odd way causing pins and needles :-). My state of mind at that time experienced a higher degree of anxiety than I have been used to for the last few months, and I was wondering if it was due to metabolising the miroestrol? I'd be interested to hear your views!

TTFN

B.x

Hi Bryony,

The metabolism of miroestrol takes a long time, but the intermediates are very important. Miroestrol mimics estrone. Estrone is also an estrogen for which the observed bioactivity is low because it metabolizes fast. I don't know if miroestrol metabolizes faster or slower than estrone.

One metabolite of miroestrol is deoxymiroestrol, which is a more powerful estrogen than miroestrol itself. Deoxymiroestrol increases estradiol. Estradiol metabolizes in 24 hours. It metabolizes to estrone. So in the first two days after taking PM, your feelings should go full circle.

In addition, there is the increase in dopamine, and the metabolism of puerarin, some intermediates of which are psychoactive too. So it's complicated, and the research done is not sufficient to answer your question completely. It could be worthwhile to stop for two days, take a dose, and journal your feelings for two days.

(22-11-2011, 06:34 PM)Isabelle Wrote:  Hi Bryony,

The metabolism of miroestrol takes a long time, but the intermediates are very important. Miroestrol mimics estrone. Estrone is also an estrogen for which the observed bioactivity is low because it metabolizes fast. I don't know if miroestrol metabolizes faster or slower than estrone.

One metabolite of miroestrol is deoxymiroestrol, which is a more powerful estrogen than miroestrol itself. Deoxymiroestrol increases estradiol. Estradiol metabolizes in 24 hours. It metabolizes to estrone. So in the first two days after taking PM, your feelings should go full circle.

In addition, there is the increase in dopamine, and the metabolism of puerarin, some intermediates of which are psychoactive too. So it's complicated, and the research done is not sufficient to answer your question completely. It could be worthwhile to stop for two days, take a dose, and journal your feelings for two days.

Thanks for that Isabelle, you do know lots of stuff!

I'll have to think about coming off the PM... it isn't fun!

Thanks,

B.x

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon