Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

PM with SP.

Hello All,
I have came across quite a few articles stating that SP reduces estrogen Levels in the body. here is one that i copied.(Estrogens
Saw palmetto seems to decrease estrogen levels in the body. Taking saw palmetto along with estrogen pills might decrease the effectiveness of estrogen pills.http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/971.html )
wouldn't it stand to reason that it would negate what we are all trying to accomplish.I am currently taking Ainterol PM,but am afraid to take my SP with it.seems like it will pretty much ruin its effects. here is another I came across.(
Saw palmetto may be helpful in another way. A high level of estrogen may inhibit the elimination of DHT. Some women with PCOS have estrogen levels that are too high. It is reported to have an anti-estrogenic effect, thus helping with the removal of DHT. )

anyone have any thoughts on this?
Diva Chick 32...

One pill giveth, another taketh away. Thanks for the info. I guess that when I start my PM, I'll discontinue SP. I wonder if there's a similar interaction between PM and finasteride (like SP it reduces DHT and is often used to prevent hair loss). I sure hope I don't have to choose between hair and breasts.

Your welcome,
I really don't know what to think,because there are quite a few members who take them together,but still have great results.Dargona for one.I really do not know what to do.Like you say it does have its benefits.I mean,you do need an anti-androgen.

Diva Chick 32...

I find the linked article you posted, VERY misleading. I tried going through the sources/references listed at the end of the article and the only one I could find that mentioned an antiestrogenic effect of SP was referring specifically to prostatic tissue.

The article itself also says that SP is likely ineffective in treating BPH but if you dig into the research, it turns out there is NO standard way of producing/extracting SP into capsules so comparing one brand to another or even production lots within a single brand is impossible. There is too much variance in the amount/strength of the likely active component of SP (lipidic liposterols). There is a company in the EU that prepares a standardized preparation lipidic liposterols derived from SP and the evidence shows it has significant effect on BPH symptoms (Permixon, Pierre Fabre Médicament, Castres, France).

Doing a search on "antiestrogenic effects of saw palmetto" on scholar.google.com yields similar results. The anti-estrogenic activity has been noted in prostatic tissue, not "in the body" as stated in several places in the article. To further complicate things, SP apparently has both anti-androgenic AND anti-estrogenic effects experimentally.

My personal experience is that PM worked just fine without the use of SP. I can't say that SP had NO effect or that it opposed PM, just that PM alone, worked fine.

I've taken 320mg of SP extract every day since August 2011, and started taking PM in December 2011. My breasts are currently between an A and a B cup.

Everyone's different, but I certainly don't have a problem with it.

Thanks for all the reply's everyone. I knew quite a few people used them together.I think Pansy-mae uses them both.im going to keep with my PM-SP program for now.

Diva Chick 32...

(05-03-2012, 07:05 PM)Diva chick 32 Wrote:  Thanks for all the reply's everyone. I knew quite a few people used them together.I think Pansy-mae uses them both.im going to keep with my PM-SP program for now.

Diva Chick 32...

No, sorry I don't. I did at one time but dropped the SP because I don't think it was doing anything.

I think its usually a question of age with SP, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

I sure need it myself...

even 500mg of PM/day has a noticeable effect when I take 1000-2000mg of SP a day. At my age of 24, it may just be that I need to cancel out DHT, or it may just be that my body does good with small amounts of estrogen. I'm not sure what the reason is really but without SP I get pretty bad acne/greasy hair and forehead/more hair falling out.

I also read from somebody on the forums recently that taking PM with alcohol does some scientific thing which I'm not about to try and explain that essentially boosts the effectiveness of PM.

Since I stopped taking PM in December, I've lost a lot of my growth and some weight through dieting as well. This alcohol idea sparked my interest though so I tried it and I have growth bumps again after a few days of cracking open a beer with 500mg of PM.

[edit]
another post I read a while ago on these forums suggested hoppy beer as an anti-androgen. Guinness was one of the more effective ones that was listed and somebody also mentioned a relative of theirs was recommended Guinness by a doctor (I believe) to help with milk production during breast-feeding. IPAs ranked higher above Guinness (although I'm not sure exactly how they were ranked). If you can stand the taste of IPAs such as Dogfish Head (60,90,120 Minute), sierra nevada (IPA, torpedo), sam adams: noble pils, etc... then I would suggest trying these.
[/edit]

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon