Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Chest/Body Hair Solutions?

(11-05-2012, 04:36 AM)Lenneth Wrote:  I am also very Hairy (as in like a gorilla) and my hair is not only quite coarse, but when waxed will tend to break off more often than pull out.

While I have very little body hair, the hair I do have (on my lower legs) gives me a similar problem. Shaving works for only a few hours before I can feel stubble. Nair is useless also (I think the hair is just too coarse). I have been getting my legs waxed at European Wax Centers every six weeks for a year now, but the smoothness only lasts a day or so before I can feel the stubble again. The only way to explain that is the hair must be breaking off and not being pulled out by the root.

I have decided to stop the waxing for a few months to let the hair grow out some more, and then maybe trying again (if I can stand the pain) to see if that helps.

For me, laser is not an option (my wife doesn't approve)!

Misty

I'm one of those who gets crazy razor bumps and ingrown hairs. I've wanted to try waxing, problem is it costs quite a bit around here. Has anyone tried one of those at home laser hair removal things. I've seen them pop up in stores. In reading reviews online some seem to be working, but who knows who writes those.

I used to get red bumps and ingrown hairs whenever I shaved too. I was always torn between wanting smooth skin and the painful aftermath of making it smooth. I searched and searched for the reason but never found why or a solution to relieve the irritation. Then one time, after a long season of no shaving, I couldn’t resist and decided to shave again despite the irritation that it would cause. I used an electric hair trimmer first to shorten the hairs and then hopped in the shower and went to work. Much to my surprise, I had a dozen or less in-grown’s and or bumps. Since then, I’ve never had the problem again. Go figure.

These are a few things I do but I’m not sure any of them prevent the problems I once experienced. I NEVER shave long hair anymore. If it gets long enough that my electric trimmer can shorten it, I do that first. I use Eucerine anti itch lotion regularly after getting out of the shower and sometimes immediately before I get INTO the shower to shave. I shave once a week now. I’m VERY careful not to put too much down pressure on the shaver – maybe half the pressure I use on my face. I try to take only one or two passes over any given spot and I rinse the razor frequently. I’m more likely to get irritation from a brand new blade than a slightly used one and I prefer Venus brand razors. Again, I’m not sure which of these helps or if any of them do, maybe it’s the combination of all of them, I don’t know. If I was to pick one, I’d say down pressure is the most important. Try shaving once with ultra light down pressure and see what happens. Good luck.

(12-05-2013, 07:21 PM)froger Wrote:  I'm one of those who gets crazy razor bumps and ingrown hairs. I've wanted to try waxing, problem is it costs quite a bit around here. Has anyone tried one of those at home laser hair removal things. I've seen them pop up in stores. In reading reviews online some seem to be working, but who knows who writes those.

I think when trying to find a long lasting form of hair removal it's going to cost a lot whether it's in terms of money, time or research. Even if you could find a relatively inexpensive device that is considered reliable by a majority of reviewers, there's still a lot of uncertain factors such as how much the effectiveness of the device depends on having certain hair and skin color, as well as personal skill with using the device.

Ultimately I think what it comes down to is whether you want to spend some money here and there on devices that may require a lot of use to produce results, assuming it works for you, or spend more money upfront to get your hair lasered by a device that's reliable and is being used by someone who knows what they're doing.

Regardless of what option you choose, I recommend first talking to someone who will be honest and upfront with you, who can offer a professional opinion about the feasibility of laser hair removal for you and what are the most practical options for you to consider.

1. AVOID caffeine 8hrs before you start!

2. Take an extra strength Tylenol or Advil 30mins before.

3. Consider getting a tria laser. Takes probably 4-5 times lasering but after the 1st session and especially after 3, you'll feel next to no pain and you can go at own pace.

Laser is really the only way to go for men with thick deep follicles for a long lasting permanent solution.

(13-05-2013, 07:54 PM)LookingForward2NBE Wrote:  1. AVOID caffeine 8hrs before you start!

2. Take an extra strength Tylenol or Advil 30mins before.

3. Consider getting a tria laser. Takes probably 4-5 times lasering but after the 1st session and especially after 3, you'll feel next to no pain and you can go at own pace.

Laser is really the only way to go for men with thick deep follicles for a long lasting permanent solution.

All of this.

If you have a pale complexion with an olive tone and dark hair you're the ideal candidate. As long as you have dark hair and your skin isn't too dark you're an OK candidate. ABSOLUTELY NO TANNING!

I'm pale but pink. It hurts more than it would if I were the ideal candidate, but I CAN get laser. And since I really don't tan anyways...

Anyways. The Tria is currently the only at-home laser device that's proven itself to be comparable to a pro device.

I plan to get my face area and anything I can't really reach myself done professionally and getting a tria to finish off what I can get myself.

AbiDrew is right. I have straight blond/light brown hair and used a Tria for about 4 months to no effect whatsoever. From my reading, I think the same would be true for grey or white hair.

For the last couple of months, I have been using a Braun SilkE epilator, but still do not know if it will have any permanent impact. I have had no bumps or ingrown hairs from this.

I have also tried tweezing out hairs, trying to pull out the roots. This seems to have cause more bumps/ingrown hairs. I believe waxing would cause the same reaction. Tweezing is also ridiculously time consuming, and I have largely given it up although I suspect it would be the most effective method of permanently reducing hair growth and thickness.

Don't forget the tried and true method for dark skinned people or very light colored hair... Electrolysis! It may have gone out of favor as laser is more profitable as business, cool factor and potentially a bit faster outcome.

Laser should be done cautiously even by a professional, especially on the facial due to risk for burns. Even a home system like Tria that I have gets very hot and the deep follicles definitely get crazy hot in the shaft and root the 1st and 2nd time they are hit with the light. I saw a special where someone got tanned and the tech didn't reset her profile and the laser ended up causing 3rd degree burns and permanent scars on her upper lip. At least the tria has an activator and I constantly keep scanning my skin when moving around a lasering session.

I've been using the tria laser on my chest and stomach for abou 8 months now and I'm pretty much clear. I went on vacation for a few weeks and didn't bring it with me and had very minimal growth, just a few random hairs. Do it works, you just have to stick to the schedule and be patient.

(11-05-2012, 05:51 AM)PattiJT Wrote:  There should be no problem with that particular brand and model. However, you may find it easier to accomplish if you trim your hair to 1/8", or even a little less, before you use the epilator. The instructions should have mentioned that. You'd be surprised how short the hair can be and it will still get a hold of it. After a couple uses, it does get a lot less painful. You may discover a couple areas where it will be less effective. Bryony states that she breaks a few on her under-breast area, and I almost always break some around my kneecaps. But, I understand that, as nature made the skin a little tougher there, so it makes sense that pulling the hair would be more difficult. It won't take long and you will notice a reduction in the amount of hair that grows back, as well as the coarseness will be reduced. That was my experience before I started my boob quest, and after that, with the things I was taking, it only made it quicker.

This has also been my experience. I no longer feel any pain, but it is best to shave and let it grow back in. Recently I also discovered that coating the area with talcum powder before epilating greatly reduced any friction and pain.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon