Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Positive perspectives

(30-06-2012, 06:06 PM)flamesabers Wrote:  
(30-06-2012, 11:10 AM)bryony Wrote:  I'm a great believer in evolution theory. I've had this idea for some time (especially after working in the US for a few years) that the great migrations to the USA in the 18th and 19th centuries took most of the risk takers and pioneers out of Europe (inc the UK), leaving behind the dour curmudgeons, pessimists (alternatively known as optimists with the facts) and cynics. After that, evolution did what it does!

So for me, the question is rather like those inspirational posters; very understandably American, and hard for cynical Europeans to take seriously. It's nice though! I'm glad there is still a country in the world where a positive attitude is the norm, and I wish I had one! Big Grin

As for me I'm glad you said to complete it for myself, not here.... the obvious thing for me wouldn't be appropriate! (might be amusing though)Big Grin

B.

I'm an exception to your idea. I'm an American pessimist (or realist as I like to consider myself). You make it sound like I would feel more at home in Europe than the U.S.Big Grin

If I remember correctly, I thought Europe consistently has some of the happiest countries in the world. The Netherlands and perhaps Sweden comes to mind, but I could be wrong about this. Maybe I'm thinking of highest GDP per capita and lowest crime rate.

You'd probably find that, like me, you can't be happy anywhere! Big Grin
(The grass is always greener over the hill, but it turns out to be crabgrass...)

I found simple things irritating and annoying in Connecticut, but now I am back, I miss the weather and the inexpensive shopping.

I transferred over during a prosperous time for the company I worked for, but it overstretched itself and started "restructuring"...
I was very scared over there at the thought of becoming unemployed in my 40s/50s and facing the prospect of bankruptcy the next time someone had to go for medical treatment... that's why we came back.

On the other hand, I'm dismayed at the way our freedoms are gradually being whittled away by unelected bodies in Europe.

If I had my time over again, I think I would have moved to Canada... Big Grin

Way off topic! Sorry folks!

B.

I doubt anyone can truly be happy anywhere with the sheer amount of garbage that politicians worldwide are trying to foist on everyone.

sorry to bring that up, but i've been having to deal with a mountain of bureaucratic bs the last week....Angry

Going back to the original sentence, I can think of several things I could put in the blank if I could also change the part of the sentence after the blank to read "it made me want to experience it again". When I experience something amazing, I don't normally think about how it wasn't good enough and had to be improved. The way the sentence stands, I'd probably have to put something like "got paid" in the blank.

(02-07-2012, 03:37 AM)sfem Wrote:  Going back to the original sentence, I can think of several things I could put in the blank if I could also change the part of the sentence after the blank to read "it made me want to experience it again". When I experience something amazing, I don't normally think about how it wasn't good enough and had to be improved.

Yes, I didn't think it through to that point, but that is exactly right!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon