Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Any experience with doctors' reaction?

(20-10-2012, 07:18 PM)blackhawk Wrote:  If she were to order blood tests to rule out negative conditions, would the elevated estrogen &/or low T show in those results, or does that have to be checked for specifically?

Blood tests will only check "free" testosterone and estrogen, DHT (which is blocked by SP) is not detected and I doubt you will notice lower free testosterone levels at all.

As for increase estrogen from PM, I'm not sure. I've read in other phytoestrogen containing herbs clinical studies have shown no or very little increase in free estrogen. Since the main active compound in PM is almost identical to Estradiol, and no clincal studies have been done on PM for this, there is no way to know.

But my guess is your hormone levels might only be slightly off normal.

Since PM is a phytoestrogen and no standard blood tests look for that (that I know of), I doubt any blood work would show a significantly increased estrogen level solely from that. Remember that the effects of PM DON'T come from it being converted into estrogen, it mimics estrogen by triggering estrogen receptors, especially E2 receptors. From everything I have read, it is NOT detected by standard blood work, or even tests for drug abuse.

I believe Isabella cited a study that shows PM does have anti-androgenic compounds in it, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if you did have lower testosterone levels. The SP could easily explain lower DHT. However, in trying to find an 'explanation' for your 'mysterious' condition, they will consider the serum ratio of estrogen to testosterone, since that seems to be one of the causes of men over 50 or so developing our 'condition'.

My main intent was just to point out why a physician would be concerned about gynecomastia in an otherwise normal 24 yo male. I did not get the impression your doc was unprofessional either. In fact from your previous posts, I had just the opposite idea about her. Also, I suppose I was lobbying (somewhat obtusely I guess) for being honest with her when the topic comes up, since without the full story of your efforts, she would legitimately want to do some tests. She may still want tests to make sure your liver is OK (I would bet anything your doc will assume PM can have a deleterious effect on the liver similar to Premarin which has nasty, nasty side effects. PM does not share these side effects), but liver function tests are typically part of routine blood work, irrespective of your transgender status. Another reason she may want to do some tests anyway, is that most western docs assume all phytoestrogens are basically the same and since most are ineffective, then PM is also. Based on that premise, ruling out the nasties would seem prudent to her.

Still, it seems the better option to be honest, and all things considered, a great idea to at least have blood work done. Again, it's pretty routine for yearly exams, and any extra tests for estrogen, prolactin and testosterone are pretty inexpensive comparatively speaking, and give you a baseline for comparison in the future, should the need arise to revisit any potential issues.

One reason you could use for starting to take PM, could be to improve hair and skin, especially if you are among the 20-something males that already show signs of male pattern baldness. This could also be the explanation for the SP (DHT is thought to be a major contributing factor in MPB), and well, the boobs, it's just neat having 'em! Or some variation on that.

I have a benign prostate condition and I used to have somewhat raised cholesterol levels. Several years ago, the doc put me on various meds to control things ( including Finasteride Big Grin ) and as a result I have annual blood tests and a meds review, and I had my most recent one a couple of weeks ago.
Despite being on PM for two years ( without the doc knowing), nothing untoward showed up anywhere, including liver and kidney function, which he did comment on. I noticed a testosterone entry, and although I wasn't quick enough to read it and didn't want to draw attention to my interest by specifically asking, he made no comment at all, so I assume that that was within the normal range.
I was slightly dreading him saying " take your shirt off", but he didn't, I'm glad to say!!

I hope this might reassure you slightly.

I really appreciate all the replies and input. I'm not at all embarrassed by the condition, even if somewhere down the road she asked me to remove my shirt. I'm just not sure I'm comfortable with openly admitting that its something that I am doing intentionally yet. I think the majority of it stems from the fact that I can't seem to offer a great explanation for why I want to. I am not homosexual, I don't even consider myself transgender or trying to transition. For me, its just the opposite, like a profound respect... almost idolization of girls and the awesome capabilities they have. I completely embrace my male status and don't wish to change that, but something about the possibility of developing breasts just seems right. Its just really hard to explain.

(21-10-2012, 04:19 PM)blackhawk Wrote:  I am not homosexual, I don't even consider myself transgender or trying to transition. For me, its just the opposite, like a profound respect... almost idolization of girls and the awesome capabilities they have. I completely embrace my male status and don't wish to change that, but something about the possibility of developing breasts just seems right. Its just really hard to explain.

What you said here reminds me of an article I read that described the different group of males who pursue NBE.

Quote:The third - and most surprising - category consists of those who consider themselves to be 100% male. These men have no desire to crossdress or imitate women - they simply admire shapely breasts and wish to have a pair of their own.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/603787

That's awesome thanks for posting that article, I definitely fall into the third category... its nice to know that there are others out there feeling the same way. Sometimes it a little hard to figure where I fall into because its such a hard thing to explain.

I'm also in the third category.

Me three... Big Grin

3rd here also..but will put a little twist on it as I am a gay male...have no desire to transition,100 percent all guy except that have always dreamed/wanted breasts

I'm intrigued by all these responses about identifying as a male who solely desires to have breasts.

I guess I had a different impression of the board's members considering the results of a poll created by Lenneth.

http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=12581

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon