Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Blood tests for hormone levels

Can anyone tell me the best way to go about getting blood tests for hormone levels (without admitting to the doctor what my actual goals are)?

I have to go in for blood tests before I renew my cholesterol medicine and I am thinking about asking to include hormones because I "just happened to notice my breasts seem to be growing."

The last thing I want, however, is to be prescribed HRT for testosterone! Sad

Any advice would be appreciated!

Misty

Well, if you can afford it, you CAN just leave the doctors out of it:

http://zionpharmacy.com/hormone-saliva-testing/

Hey Misty I just did the sneaky with my doctor and had a blood test this way. But I did say I was having irregular bleeding which is not really a fib but then I know that doesn't help you!

But then if you do get prescribed medicine maybe do not fill out the prescription?

Yeah there's nothing more to say "routine tests" or "extensive/thorough testing to make sure things are good."

You have a fam history of yada yada gabor! You need to find out if you are still okay.

I feel like crap please get me these tests is what I do now. switch your doc if he/she is running you around the parking lot.

(08-01-2013, 07:14 PM)Babakins Wrote:  Hey Misty I just did the sneaky with my doctor and had a blood test this way. But I did say I was having irregular bleeding which is not really a fib but then I know that doesn't help you!

But then if you do get prescribed medicine maybe do not fill out the prescription?

Well saying I've noticed my breasts are growing isn't a fib either! He'll just "assume" that I don't want them to grow. Wink

I'll probably try that route rather then paying for the tests as Abi Drew suggests. It's not cheap and I couldn't justify the expense if I can get it covered by insurance.

I also thought about simply not filling the prescription, although the doctor may give me a choice to start with.

Does anyone know if PM shows up as actual estrogen in the tests?

(08-01-2013, 07:27 PM)Misty0732 Wrote:  Does anyone know if PM shows up as actual estrogen in the tests?

I think not. It's close enough molecularly that it MIGHT at least FUDGE the value slightly, but I don't think it'll make it as high as the actual estrol levels in your blood.

And hey, I was just throwing it out there as an option in case you really were worried about involving your doc. Some girls are...

(08-01-2013, 09:01 PM)AbiDrew85 Wrote:  I think not. It's close enough molecularly that it MIGHT at least FUDGE the value slightly, but I don't think it'll make it as high as the actual estrol levels in your blood.

That's good! The more I can keep this under the radar the better, at least as far as my doctor is concerned.

Thanks!

And have you tried the lab in Florida? I just wonder is saliva testing is really as accurate as blood testing.

This may not be relevant, but I asked an online testing service whether they checked for phytoestrogens and was told that they did not.

B.

Misty,

Be aware that depending on your company, some companies get reports on the different medical services their employees are receiving. Since you're retired military, are you using company insurance, or Tricare through the military. I've found Tricare quite unsuspecting when it comes to providing whatever tests your doctor asks for.

Along that same line, I have to say it seems a little strange to me that a retired Air Force full bull, currently as highly placed in the civilian workplace as yourself, finds the $159 charge for such comprehensive testing to be too expensive. That's an easy way to go, and actually a paltry amount to pay. Not trying to offend you, just seems a bit odd to me. I've always just told my doctor I wanted blood tests, and she runs a full set, more comprehensive since she found low t levels the first time. I simply told her I was feeling tired and run-down, (the truth), and that was all she needed to know.

If you're willing to throw all kinds of money around to try different herbs and such, toss a little more in and get some good info from the tests. At the very least, you'll have a baseline for the future. Do well, Patti

(09-01-2013, 12:43 AM)PattiJT Wrote:  Misty,

Be aware that depending on your company, some companies get reports on the different medical services their employees are receiving. Since you're retired military, are you using company insurance, or Tricare through the military. I've found Tricare quite unsuspecting when it comes to providing whatever tests your doctor asks for.

Along that same line, I have to say it seems a little strange to me that a retired Air Force full bull, currently as highly placed in the civilian workplace as yourself, finds the $159 charge for such comprehensive testing to be too expensive. That's an easy way to go, and actually a paltry amount to pay. Not trying to offend you, just seems a bit odd to me. I've always just told my doctor I wanted blood tests, and she runs a full set, more comprehensive since she found low t levels the first time. I simply told her I was feeling tired and run-down, (the truth), and that was all she needed to know.

If you're willing to throw all kinds of money around to try different herbs and such, toss a little more in and get some good info from the tests. At the very least, you'll have a baseline for the future. Do well, Patti

I agree. Its not expensive. It works. I have used them and posted the link on the forums here to let others know because every where else is far more and you get less testing. All in all, you'll figure it out.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon