Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Got noticed today

I got noticed at least once this morning, where something was said within my hearing.

Had to go to the ER this morning, serious shortness of breath problem, no noted cardiac problems. Called 911, two firefighter/EMT's (both male) and two ambulance paramedics (1 male, 1 female, poor gal, she had the head of the gurney when loading me into the ambulance) show up. I was waiting for them with my shirt off, so that they could hook me up. Nothing was said about my boobs.

The ambulance delivers me to the ER, after I transfer to the ER gurney, the nurse has me take off my shirt so that the EKG leads can be hooked up. She looks at me, steps to the back of the bay, gets a gown and then says, "Here lets put this gown on to cover your boobies." She then turned me over to another nurse (shift change), there were no male nurses on duty this morning.

Anyway, out of at least two nurses, two med techs (1 male, 1 female), an X-ray tech, two male doctors and anybody who walked past the bay and anyone behind the counter, while I was uncovered, only the one nurse said anything. I don't know if the covering up was for her comfort or if she thought it was for mine. I didn't mind being bare chested.

BTW, I've been off PM for about a month, I ran out and I've had to spend my money on other things, auto repairs, etc. Boobs are still a little tender around the nipples, have to be careful about bumping them. No noticeable shrinkage, while off the PM.

BigDave

(30-03-2014, 04:19 AM)s67bigdave Wrote:  I got noticed at least once this morning, where something was said within my hearing.

Had to go to the ER this morning, serious shortness of breath problem, no noted cardiac problems. Called 911, two firefighter/EMT's (both male) and two ambulance paramedics (1 male, 1 female, poor gal, she had the head of the gurney when loading me into the ambulance) show up. I was waiting for them with my shirt off, so that they could hook me up. Nothing was said about my boobs.

The ambulance delivers me to the ER, after I transfer to the ER gurney, the nurse has me take off my shirt so that the EKG leads can be hooked up. She looks at me, steps to the back of the bay, gets a gown and then says, "Here lets put this gown on to cover your boobies." She then turned me over to another nurse (shift change), there were no male nurses on duty this morning.

Anyway, out of at least two nurses, two med techs (1 male, 1 female), an X-ray tech, two male doctors and anybody who walked past the bay and anyone behind the counter, while I was uncovered, only the one nurse said anything. I don't know if the covering up was for her comfort or if she thought it was for mine. I didn't mind being bare chested.

BTW, I've been off PM for about a month, I ran out and I've had to spend my money on other things, auto repairs, etc. Boobs are still a little tender around the nipples, have to be careful about bumping them. No noticeable shrinkage, while off the PM.

BigDave

Sorry to hear about the shortness of breath problems. I know all about them. If you can't figure out the cause, try quitting PM and see if that helps. It was the culprit for me, for whatever reason.

I have also experienced this, once to a dramatic degree, though not to the extent of visiting the ER. Of course, that was at the end of a work day, tired already and going outside in bitter cold to try and shovel a lot of very heavy snow quickly... couple that with my age, and it may or may not be related.Rolleyes

Sorry to hear of your distress, Dave!

Hi Sarah and Samantha,

Thanks

Possible TMI alert.

It's not pleasant, that I can assure you. Got woke up at 4am by leg cramps, got out of bed to stretch to the muscles and walk off the cramps. While I was up, I made coffee, used the bathroom and then went back to bed, to try to get some more sleep. No such luck, it seems that I couldn't get enough air, no matter what position I tried. Sitting up was the least problematic. Next hour and a half the breathing kept getting worse. Showered, WORSE. Thought about driving my self to the ER, decided that's not a good idea.

Dressed, except for shirt, called 911 and waited for EMT's (5 minutes.) No improvement. EMT's and ambulance arrive. We go through question and answer process, while they hook up the EKG and take vitals, we head outside and get me on the gurney, then loaded into the ambulance. Before we get rolling, the paramedic starts me on albuterol. Good stuff that, had me breathing almost normal within 10 minutes.

Paramedic re-hooks the EKG, then inserts an IV and draws blood, this guy is good with a needle, he got it on the first try, in a moving vehicle. I've had phlebotomists who couldn't find a vein and/or stuck me several times, sitting still in an office.

911 called 'til arrival at ER, about 30 minutes. Like I said breathing almost normal within 10 minutes, the drive time to the hospital. See previous post. Another EKG, more blood, urine, another albuterol treatment, etc., etc. 2 X-rays, 1 high and 1 low, they may have noticed an anomaly on the upper one involving my lower ribs, busted 9 of them a few years ago. 2 hours before they would me have any water! Dodgy

Exertion, minimal. Age, I'll be 59 on the 18th. Cause, not PM, I've been off it for a month. I'll bet it's the smoking! Coming later this year, it'll be 40 years.

Note to self and everyone else, if you smoke, quit. If you don't smoke don't start. I wish I never had. Sad

Now if I can just quit.

BigDave

(30-03-2014, 10:46 PM)s67bigdave Wrote:  Note to self and everyone else, if you smoke, quit. If you don't smoke don't start. I wish I never had. Sad

Now if I can just quit.

BigDave

Hi Big Dave,

I think Sarah has been smoke-free for over a year now. She may have some pointers on how she gave up the habit.

Best of luck.

Smoking is basically an oral fixation. Try replacing it with something else you stick in your mouth. Telly Savalas used a lollipop. Who loves ya, baby?!
I know of a couple of ways to quit:
1. Cold Turkey. Just stop right now and deal with the withdrawals. I know of a few people that just quit one day and never went back. Not so much that it was a conscious decision, it's just that, one day, they just stopped!! No rhyme or reason!! And never went back!! Maybe you can do that. I can tell you this, when you cough, that's your lungs trying to clean up. Most smokers "think" this means they need another cigarette!
2. Gradual Cessation. Figure out how many you smoke in a day. Once you know that, from that day onwards, smoke one less each day. Or at least one less per day each week. If you smoke 50 a day, all this week, smoke only 49, next week, smoke only 48, etc.. In 50 weeks, or less, you won't need anymore.
Cigarettes are more addictive than heroine!! Yet heroine is against the law, but cigarettes aren't!! Figure THAT one out!!
TONS of good luck with quitting!! I hope you can get the monkey off your back in just a day or so!!
Back in the first year of this century, I was working at a bank and this guy that ran the computer systems, Dave, was a big smoker. He was probably in his 40's. To get to the 4th floor, where we worked, you had to go up a long escalator to the first floor and then take the elevator. One day, Dave was on his way in to work and, by the time he got to the top of the escalator, he was complaining of chest pains and trouble breathing. The security people called 911 and they took him to the hospital. Within a few days, he was dead!! He never DID come back to work!

My dad quit cold turkey with a bit of greed as a motivator, he simply looked at how much he was spending on cigs per month, realized he could have a good vacation each year for that & never smoked again.

I quit about 15 years ago.

Just like that. Was driving home after lots of time in the pub (don't comment about that please) and half way home was going for yet another ciggie and thought 'this is just stupid', threw the rest of the pack out the window and haven't had more than half a ciggie since (and that was only in a situation where to do so was to help a friend in need - will explain if asked).

The third week was the worst - by then the dry mouth and sore throat from too many cigarettes are long forgotten - get through that and it is relatively plain sailing.

That said, I could, at times, so much fancy a cigarette - the trouble is with all experiences, once you have had them, you know what they are like and you always remember the best bits most!!!!!

My suggestion is to overdose on smoking one day, to remember the bad bits rather than the good and just stop with that mindset; it can be done.

I have an extremely addictive personality and I coped fairly easily with giving up cigarettes.

My problem is the red wine - if anyone can suggest how to be a moderate drinker......

M x

Edited to say 'Sorry - this is hi-jacking the thread - please ignore'

(31-03-2014, 07:14 PM)Lenneth Wrote:  My dad quit cold turkey with a bit of greed as a motivator, he simply looked at how much he was spending on cigs per month, realized he could have a good vacation each year for that & never smoked again.

THAT'S a good idea!!

(31-03-2014, 07:26 PM)Miranda-nata-est Wrote:  My suggestion is to overdose on smoking one day, to remember the bad bits rather than the good and just stop with that mindset; it can be done.

THAT'S the one I keep forgetting!! I KNEW there were three ways to quit!! Over-saturation. Keep gradually smoking so many more that you just get sick of them and can't WAIT to quit!!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon