Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

More Hormone Results

(15-03-2013, 04:29 PM)PattiJT Wrote:  One could lose nothing by contacting them and ask for a referral. therapists don't work in a vacuum. They should be tied into a network with endos. When you reach one, it's up to you to be specific about what service you do or don't want them to perform. Chances are, since your doctor doesn't sound too excited by it all, you could give him a name as referral, and he may not even check it out much.

Patti,

That's a good thought. I will see what I can find and ask. Thanks...

Misty

Best of luck! Personally, I'd try to also, one day later on, make a visit to one of the better clubs in Denver. If you go as an honest observer, and not an obvious prowler, you may be surprised at what you learn, pro and con. There's nothing like experience from the horses' mouth. I don't know about your wife, but mine would love the chance. She's really into meeting and understanding as much a variety of people as possible. She's always happy to learn what she can before making any judgements. She's an unending source of amazement.

Well, I spent the afternoon researching, emailing, and calling some of the TG resources in the Denver area (and also looking for endocrinologist referrals on some of the national TG sites). I guess there really aren't any endocrinologists who are considered "friendly" to the TG/TS/GD community in Colorado. Everywhere I went I was pointed to Dr. Anna Wegleitner (who is a GP not an endocrinologist). She supposedly treats most of the transgender patients in Colorado and was referred to as "one of the best hormone doctors in the country."

I am considering going to see her anyway, as I feel I could probably lay everything out for her without feeling self-conscious. She could probably tell me, at least, if the hormone imbalance I have is anything to be concerned about. I assume she may also know of an endo or two who could consult.

I suspect she will be leery or even actively opposed to PM use, however.

Any thoughts? Does this seem like a reasonable course of action?

Misty

(16-03-2013, 01:12 AM)Misty0732 Wrote:  Any thoughts? Does this seem like a reasonable course of action?

The first thought that comes to my mind is whether it's practical to see her in regards to driving distance, whether the visit will be covered by your insurance, and whether she is accepting new patients.

I think something else to consider is whether the visit will still be worthwhile for you if she doesn't know any endocrinologist who is friendly to the TG community. Is this just about finding out whether your hormonal imbalances poses any risk to your health? Or is this more about trying to establish a support system in the medical community that is TG friendly?

(16-03-2013, 02:44 AM)flamesabers Wrote:  The first thought that comes to my mind is whether it's practical to see her in regards to driving distance, whether the visit will be covered by your insurance, and whether she is accepting new patients.

I think something else to consider is whether the visit will still be worthwhile for you if she doesn't know any endocrinologist who is friendly to the TG community. Is this just about finding out whether your hormonal imbalances poses any risk to your health? Or is this more about trying to establish a support system in the medical community that is TG friendly?

The first two questions are simple (her clinic is only about 10 miles away so pretty easy to get there, and she's a general practitioner so the insurance is covered by default less my $25 copay). I don't know if she's taking new patients, though. I assume I'll find that out if or when I call.

What I'm hoping is that she would have enough experience with hormone levels to have some theory about my "weird" blood. The main reason I would feel more comfortable talking with her over another doctor (i.e. an endocrinologist) is that I'm uncomfortable disclosing my GD to a doctor who I don't know to be receptive to the concept. I know it is controversial.

Is my GD even at issue here? Could my odd hormone balance be involved in the condition? I honestly don't know. I am a little concerned that I wouldn't be as open with a doctor about the supplements I am taking now (or have taken in the past) if I feel I can't openly reveal what I was/am trying to accomplish.

Sheesh. I give myself a headache thinking about it! Rolleyes

To answer your final question, yes, I am concerned that the condition may have a negative impact on my health. If I knew that the imbalance was nothing to be concerned about, so long as I feel fine and am not concerned about fertility, then I'd probably just not bother to pursue it further. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any reference or example of anyone else having this type of imbalance (ever) and neither can my doctor. It just "isn't supposed to happen."

I don't feel that I need to develop a support group... my wife and this forum are filling that need pretty well. Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Misty

Misty,

I wouldn't be too concerned about the "new patient" issue. If you're going to her on a referral, you'll not be considered a long-term client. Hopefully 1, or possibly 2 visits will suffice. 2 visits only if she wants to re-conduct the tests, or additional tests.

Since you're not sure if PM has had any effect on your test results, you probably don't need to volunteer that info, unless she asks. Myself, I would initially hold that info back, to see if she might have a ready explanation for your results. But, be prepared to enlighten her if she asks specifically if you're taking anything additional. Being involved in the TG/TS community, she shouldn't be taken aback at all by any mention of GD, should that even come up. I suspect the most likely way that might arise, would be if she asks how and why you came to be referred to her. Many doctors now ask for a complete list of meds that patients are taking, including herbs. Again, should you mention PM, I wouldn't expect her to be unduly surprised, in her position, she's probably seen things we can't even imagine.

One other thing. If you do see her, and become a patient over time, (good experience for her) AND if she does understand PM, you may just be lucky enough to have her prescribe it for you. Let your insurance provide it for you. Wonder if that's in any companies' formulary? Not a joke. I've had doctors prescribe me a 6-pack of beer and aspirin for when I had my vasectomy. And another one prescribed sloe gin for strep throat. Weird things can happen. Good luck with your decision, Patti

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon