Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Bra sizing guide

While roaming around on the net I found this
http://www.85b.org/bra_calc.php
Take a look see if it helps anyone
xx

That calculator adds four inches to the band, which is not correct. That dates back to the 1930s and isn't the correct way to measure for modern bras.

Hi everyone,

That calculator gives me two different results depending on whether or not I enter the "Over" measurement.

U 48" B 51" O 47" = 52D
U 48" B 51" = 52AA

I'd love to be a D-cup, unfortunately, I'm nowhere near that size.

So, just how does one size for a bra?

BigDave

This is the first calculator I ever tried. I couldn't believe it when it said I was an A cup. WOW! So I was a little curious and tried the calculators from Maidenform.com and HerRoom.com. One said I was a B cup! Is there a conversion factor from female to male because there's no way I'm a B and it's pretty hard to believe I'm even an A?

(22-04-2013, 12:30 AM)doodlebug2055 Wrote:  This is the first calculator I ever tried. I couldn't believe it when it said I was an A cup. WOW! So I was a little curious and tried the calculators from Maidenform.com and HerRoom.com. One said I was a B cup! Is there a conversion factor from female to male because there's no way I'm a B and it's pretty hard to believe I'm even an A?

There are several problems trying to fit female garments to a male body. For one thing, there is really no such thing as a standard size for female clothing, and each brand uses their own measurements. To make matters worse, when it comes to bras, the sizing can differ between model numbers from the same brand. Another problem is the difference in the shape of the torso between men and women. About the best one can do is take measurements based on how a particular brand says to measure, and hope for the best. I see where some sites say to measure under the armpits for the band size and use the difference between that and the measurement at nipple level for the cup size. That doesn't seem to work for me since I'm not all that filled out in the upper part of the breast area so I need to drop down at least one or two cup sizes despite the difference being about 3-4". Others say to measure under the bust and do the same thing for cup size. Again, it doesn't work for me because I'm not very filled out despite having very large moobs that do seem to be filling in a little, but it is still mostly fat. I think part of the problem is that men are naturally a bit larger around the chest in the area that is the bust measurement, and we get smaller above and below that point even when we are flat-chested.

I had to cross this hurdle a couple months ago. It might feel awkward the first time, but trust me it's worth it. Go to a professional. Fredricks, Victorias, it doesn't matter. I promise they won't laugh, or at least they aren't supposed to. They'll treat you right, size you up, and get you just the fit you need.

I also have a problem with this calculator.

By my measure, I should be a 52C?

I have gone out to get measured profesionally, and was fitted for 48B size bras which in one brand fitts me well, but in another has a lot of room left to fill out the cups.

I would be swimming in a 52C but this standard

I am a believer in getting fitted and try on some sizes prior to purchase, but its your money so who am I to say how you should spend it.

Dee Beth

Well it was just a thought to put the sizing guide online, seems there is no substitute for going to a store and getting measured and fitted correctly
The store assistants will not laugh, the way the economy is these days they will take anyone's money, and it always pays to be upfront ( no pun intended) and say ' the bra is for me and yes I am growing boobs'.
I always head for a more mature looking assistant, they are less likely to be shocked or befuddled. Wink
xx

(22-04-2013, 05:07 PM)adeleuk Wrote:  Well it was just a thought to put the sizing guide online, seems there is no substitute for going to a store and getting measured and fitted correctly
The store assistants will not laugh, the way the economy is these days they will take anyone's money, and it always pays to be upfront ( no pun intended) and say ' the bra is for me and yes I am growing boobs'.
I always head for a more mature looking assistant, they are less likely to be shocked or befuddled. Wink
xx

Sorry friends but I'm just going to stick with the trial and error method. Smile There's no way in *Bleep* I'm going to get measured in a store by a woman! I'd be absolutely mortified ...unless maybe she's cuter than cute and asks ME if I'd like to be fitted. In which case I'd probably turn three shades of red and then faint!

adeleuk, I'm GLAD you put the link online even though I question the results.

If someone could explain to me why women tolerate how their clothes are sized, I'd love to hear it. Everything varies not only between manufacturers but even within a manufacturer.

Having been permitted to vent that, this is the theory that seems to work for me. I measure just below my breast and use this as the band. No plus 4 or 5 inches; no adjustments of any type. Then I cry as I measure over the nipples and get a smaller number. I guess that makes me an AAA which is kind of hard to find in a 46.

Hope this helps some.

A side note, why do they say most women can use a variety of bra sizes such as 34-C being equivalent to a 36-B ? The band is around the ribs. The cup is how much the breasts protrude. So how can there be more than one "proper" size?

Could you imagine men accepting shirt sizes of 16 x 32 as being the same as 15 x 34 ? (First number neck circumference, second is length of arm.) Surely if your neck were 16 you'd be unable to button a 15, regardless of the arm length.

Why doesn't the same apply to bras? A 36 band should slide down the ribs of a women who should wear a 34. And a women who fills a C should overflow a B.

I guess I just have a simple male mind, unable to comprehend the complexity (seemingly needless complexity, to me) of female garment sizing.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon