Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Hormonal imbalance?

It's been already 20 months since my life has changed. For the worse.
January 2010 - birth of a perfect baby girl, now aged 3
August 2011 - first birth control pills, 3 pills in 3 days of Jasmine, with serious side effects: diarrhea, vomiting, chills. After third day of taking the pill i stopped.
But since then: depression, anxiety, palpitations, chills, fatigue, weakness, internal tremors, loss of sex drive. Also, the menstruation got lighter, bleeding 2 days and then spotting, instead of bleeding 5-7 days.
Tracking the moods, i came across a pattern linked to menstrual cycle. Feeling worst after ovulation and until the period stops. So i pretty much have one good (better, really) week of month: days 7-14 of each menstrual cycle. At the beginning, things were very bad, now it seems better, although spring brought anxiety and palpitations back, after almost disappearing in the winter. Last year i lost 7 kg (14 lbs) in 7 months, without doing anything about it. Got blood work done, all fine. Any ideas?

Thank you so much, i am at a loss as to what it is that changed my life all of a sudden.

was it jasmine or yasmin? i googled jasmine and absolutely nothing comes up for it so that is a little weird.

yasmin, you are right

Hmmmm.... How were you after having your baby girl? Did you have postpartum depression?

Yasmin is quite high in artificial progesterones, so the artificialness can cause problems but also, your body gets used to the high progesterone levels and coming down from them can cause depression (this is what happens with postpartum depression).. So you could have low progesterone levels and need some progesterone cream...

or.....

having too much progesterone can also cause depression. Basically if your hormones are ascrew in any direction, it can cause depression.

Personally if I were you, I'd try to just combat both and level hormones that way. By, say, taking fenugreek/fennel/whatever phytoestrogen you choose for the first 14 days of your cycle and then progesterone cream for the second half.

You can try one or the other or both for a month, and then see how you are feeling Smile and you don't really need to worry about the PC causing the negative symptoms that yasmin gave you, because those symptoms likely came from the fact that it is an artificial progesterone, PC is natural and thus better accepted by the body.

(17-04-2013, 12:01 AM)Outofstyle Wrote:  You can try one or the other or both for a month, and then see how you are feeling Smile and you don't really need to worry about the PC causing the negative symptoms that yasmin gave you, because those symptoms likely came from the fact that it is an artificial progesterone, PC is natural and thus better accepted by the body.

Hear Hear!

The overuse of progestins by the medical profession seriously disgusts me, and is a prime example of the rampant profiteering that takes place in the medical industry.

No one can patent progesterone. Progestins though...

Thank you so much for your reply. I had no postpartum depression. The depression started the third day of taking yasmin, my daughter was already 20 months at that time. Could 3 pills of yasmin cause this screw in my hormone levels though?

(17-04-2013, 07:49 AM)olga Wrote:  Thank you so much for your reply. I had no postpartum depression. The depression started the third day of taking yasmin, my daughter was already 20 months at that time. Could 3 pills of yasmin cause this screw in my hormone levels though?

Honestly... If you're going to react poorly to a given progestin, you'll react most often by the very first dose. Even if you don't start noticing the reaction until later. And Yasmin has a very bad track record when it comes to this.

Note that not all progestins are created equal, so if you're dead set on being on pill-based bc - talk to your doctor about trying some other kinds.

Though I don't really honestly recommend any of the pill forms. They're designed to screw up your hormone balance. That's WHY they even exist. It's their modus operandi for interfering with the natural menstrual cycle - and stop menses, and you effectively prevent pregnancy.

Much better are the spermicidal IUD's. Don't kill yourself - kill the invader. Much MUCH more intelligent way of doing things.

After what i experienced, trust me, i'll never be on the pill ever again. I forgot to mention my age, maybe it's relevant: 35. Should i test my hormone levels before trying the cream?

(17-04-2013, 12:41 PM)olga Wrote:  After what i experienced, trust me, i'll never be on the pill ever again. I forgot to mention my age, maybe it's relevant: 35. Should i test my hormone levels before trying the cream?

Actually a VERY good idea. Even better idea would be if it hasn't been very long yet since you were on any sort of hormonal drug or hormones wait a month THEN test, THEN do what the testing indicates.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon