Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Way to Avoid Hair Dye & Bleach Damage

Just thought I'd share how I colour my hair and even bleach it (highlights) with little to no damage: virgin coconut oil!

Just slather it on before you colour or bleach and it protects your hair.
Make sure you cover your roots / scalp and all the way to your ends. I apply it about an hour before colouring to make sure it has penetrated.

I just did some home bleach highlights yesterday (Frost and Glow) and my hair is not damaged Blush

(29-04-2013, 07:38 PM)Blue-footed Booby Wrote:  Just thought I'd share how I colour my hair and even bleach it (highlights) with little to no damage: virgin coconut oil!

Yeah... most professional relaxers, decolorizers, and hair color products actually contain coconut oil as an ingredient. Professional, as in, done at a salon.

I can easily imagine them not containing enough to really do justice though. And different lines will of course be different. The lines we use at school are pretty good though. Wella.

It could also be that the pre-treatment part makes the real difference.

(29-04-2013, 07:51 PM)AbiDrew85 Wrote:  
(29-04-2013, 07:38 PM)Blue-footed Booby Wrote:  Just thought I'd share how I colour my hair and even bleach it (highlights) with little to no damage: virgin coconut oil!

Yeah... most professional relaxers, decolorizers, and hair color products actually contain coconut oil as an ingredient. Professional, as in, done at a salon.

I can easily imagine them not containing enough to really do justice though. And different lines will of course be different. The lines we use at school are pretty good though. Wella.

It could also be that the pre-treatment part makes the real difference.

Wella is a good brand, I like it.

Yes, I think coconut oil as a pre-treatment is the key. I've been pre-treating with it for about a year now and my long hair is healthy and has little to no damage from hair dyes or bleach.
I did my own highlights this time but if I go to the salon for them next time, I will come with coconut-oiled hair Smile

It also helps that I no longer use heat such as hair dryers or flat irons.

(29-04-2013, 10:30 PM)Blue-footed Booby Wrote:  I did my own highlights this time but if I go to the salon for them next time, I will come with coconut-oiled hair Smile

It also helps that I no longer use heat such as hair dryers or flat irons.

Yeah. Heat is really one of the worst things for hair. Especially improperly used heat. Hair dryers are ok if you use them right... But flat irons and marcels will ALWAYS cause damage... all you can do is try to minimize it using heat protectants.

Proper use of leave-in conditioners with heat protectants and going strictly DOWN the shaft with the hair dryer and you should be safe from damage.

Be careful with the coconut oil trick even going to a salon. If they do a demi the rule is to wash first... Which would wash all that oil right out. Though a demi is less damaging. Just tell them you washed your hair already and to just wet you down.

Permanents and lightener is always done dry though.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon