Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Need some advice

I've been on PM since January, taking a break last May to deal with a medical issue. A few weeks after I went off PM my GID returned in force (as well as all the other mental issues that PM resolves for me). Anyway, I've been back on at around 1000 to 1500 mg/day since July. That dosage seems to keep my mental benefits intact, and my breasts are continuing to grow although slowly.

Now here's where I need the advice. On December 13th I'm undergoing back surgery (Lumbar Laminotomy Decompression at L4/5 to treat Spinal Stenosis). I need to provide a list of medications as I will be under general anesthesia for the operation.

Should I discontinue the PM until after the surgery? Or I could disclose it on the form... I'm just not sure the anesthesiologist will know what it is. Is there any danger with interactions that anyone is aware of?

I will say that I am extremely apprehensive about the surgery and the PM goes a long way to keeping me calm.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Misty

Sorry to hear you need spinal surgery. I hope everything goes well, and it provides the intended relief.

I am not aware of any drug interaction, but personally, I would discontinue the PM at least two weeks prior to the surgery because nobody, especially doctors, know what hardly any herbal might do as far as interactions with medications as well as possibly thinning the blood and preventing clotting.

Oh boy! That's a tough question Misty. ...And a bad deal that you have to have back surgery. I hope all goes well for you. As for the PM, I think I'd discontinue but I'm one who prefers to keep things as simple as possible. On the other hand, it's seems to me that any complications PM might cause could be easily dealt with especially considering who will be caring for you and where you'll be at.

What about generalizing "phytoestrogens" on the med list??? That way if there ARE any risks, the staff will be alerted and prepared, just be sure to have your list of "non-NBE" reasons ready in case you're questioned about them. As I've said before, what you're doing may be important but why you're doing it is no ones business but yours.

"Evidence is accruing that phytoestrogens may have protective action against diverse health disorders, such as prostate, breast, bowel, and other cancers, cardiovascular disease, brain function disorders..." (taken from Wikipedia)

...I'll be sure to ask for peace prior to and a speedy recovery afterwards for you when I pray.

Misty
on the other main site I go to

Dianne the owner advises all her customers on phyto e to halt 2 weeks prior to any surgery minimum,

Hope helps

Julie

I cannot be certain, but I would doubt there would be any interaction at all. I have gone in for annual physicals and faced a battery of blood tests, all while on 3000 units of pm daily, and there has never been any mention of anything from the doctor. In essence we are talking about a vegetable, right? In Thailand pm is a food source, I believe. I would be tempted to change nothing and say nothing. I really doubt there would be a problem. However, keep in mind I am not a doctor (I just play one on TV)

Must admit though this is a good point

WHERES ABI ?

If phyto e mimicks e and is not e, then why the need to stop ?

I have actually been wondering about this myself

Over to you Abi or Chris Honey

Julie

(12-11-2013, 06:56 PM)MonikaT Wrote:  I am not aware of any drug interaction, but personally, I would discontinue the PM at least two weeks prior to the surgery because nobody, especially doctors, know what hardly any herbal might do as far as interactions with medications as well as possibly thinning the blood and preventing clotting.

Monika,

I am inclined to agree with you. Two weeks seems to be the number used for other medications as well (like aspirin or NSAIDs).

Thank you!

Misty

(12-11-2013, 07:16 PM)doodlebug2055 Wrote:  As for the PM, I think I'd discontinue but I'm one who prefers to keep things as simple as possible. On the other hand, it's seems to me that any complications PM might cause could be easily dealt with especially considering who will be caring for you and where you'll be at.

Hi Doodlebug,

I tend to agree that stopping is the safest bet. Yes, I'll be at a really good hospital in Denver and you would assume they can take care of issues that arise but I'd really rather not have any arise in the first place!

Quote:...I'll be sure to ask for peace prior to and a speedy recovery afterwards for you when I pray.

Thank you!

Misty

(12-11-2013, 07:29 PM)julieTG Wrote:  Misty
on the other main site I go to

Dianne the owner advises all her customers on phyto e to halt 2 weeks prior to any surgery minimum,

Hope helps

Julie

Julie,

Yes, it does. I believe I will stop, and at the two week point.

Thank you!

Misty

(12-11-2013, 07:36 PM)Samantha Rogers Wrote:  I cannot be certain, but I would doubt there would be any interaction at all. I have gone in for annual physicals and faced a battery of blood tests, all while on 3000 units of pm daily, and there has never been any mention of anything from the doctor. In essence we are talking about a vegetable, right? In Thailand pm is a food source, I believe. I would be tempted to change nothing and say nothing. I really doubt there would be a problem. However, keep in mind I am not a doctor (I just play one on TV)

Hi Samantha,

You are probably right, however there is no doubt that PM is changing my blood chemistry and body in a decidedly male to female way. That's more potent than probably any actual medicine I have ever taken outside of a hospital. Taking 2 or 3 weeks off shouldn't have a major impact on that change over time, so I think I'll be prudent rather than risk it.

Thank you!

Misty

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon