Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Health&Diet

Thank you AP for your posts, got me thinking health!

painful rash (eczema?) try Triamcinolone acetonide-ointment, base of light mineral oil and white petratum.

Hope this will help identify one possibility if someone is experiencing a rash.

L Smile

I dunno how people can keep there thermostat at 68 degree's or lower,

Oh,I understand its a necessity $$$$ from some.

(18-12-2013, 10:42 PM)Lotus Wrote:  I dunno how people can keep there thermostat at 68 degree's or lower,

Oh,I understand its a necessity $$$$ from some. It seems like that would be ok, right? But Im freezing at that temp!!, plays havoc with RA, thyroid and others. Again, humidity is something that you generally don't pay attention too!, but get a meter and monitor it, your skin (at least) will thank you! Shy
I got RA and for that I eat lots brocoli/karli cal / spinach / all greens / cheries / blueberries / raspberry /strawberry// juicis- pomegranate / black grape / cranberry . Plenty more when you. Read on net.

My visit to the NP yesterday did result in her prescribing gabapentin for my peripheral neuropathy, which amongst other things, results in very small injuries or irritations to parts of my feet and legs hurting far more than they should. For example the shoes I was wearing two days ago very slightly (nothing really visible) rubbed my right heel which has felt since as if it was rubbed completely raw. Having looked up gabapentin, i'll be interested to see how effective it is. Interestingly it looks as if it may promote HGH production, in which case it may help with NBE. I hope it's not too expensive - we have no pharmacare insurance. This province is in the process of introducing compulsory pharmacare insurance which presently looks as if it will cost us very much more than we currently spend on prescription drugs and will still leave us with a 30% copay - sorry for the OT moan.

As for thermostats, I'm influenced by my British background. At the time I emigrated, conventional wisdom was that if you had central heating, you should keep the thermostat at 65 F in living rooms, 55 F in bedrooms and 60 F elsewhere. During the miner's strike in the early 70s, office heating was cut back even further by government decree, and in the office where I worked this resulted in the central heating boiler (located in the roof space) freezing and rupturing over Christmas so we came back to a flooded office and had no heating at all until well into the new year. So when I saw a job in Toronto advertised, that was one factor in my deciding to apply. After a few years in Canada I'd go back on a visit and shiver almost wherever I went. My wife still has a nasty habit of turning down thermostats, even after 35 years. In her first marriage, money was very short, and she herself had installed the central heating in the one house they lived in that had it. As for health issues, I believe that low humidity is a greater hazard to health than low indoor temperatures, and the lower the humidity the higher the temperature you need to feel warm; but I may have been brainwashed.

(19-12-2013, 02:25 AM)AnnabelP Wrote:  My visit to the NP yesterday did result in her prescribing gabapentin for my peripheral neuropathy, which amongst other things, results in very small injuries or irritations to parts of my feet and legs hurting far more than they should. For example the shoes I was wearing two days ago very slightly (nothing really visible) rubbed my right heel which has felt since as if it was rubbed completely raw. Having looked up gabapentin, i'll be interested to see how effective it is. Interestingly it looks as if it may promote HGH production, in which case it may help with NBE. I hope it's not too expensive - we have no pharmacare insurance. This province is in the process of introducing compulsory pharmacare insurance which presently looks as if it will cost us very much more than we currently spend on prescription drugs and will still leave us with a 30% copay - sorry for the OT moan.

As for thermostats, I'm influenced by my British background. At the time I emigrated, conventional wisdom was that if you had central heating, you should keep the thermostat at 65 F in living rooms, 55 F in bedrooms and 60 F elsewhere. During the miner's strike in the early 70s, office heating was cut back even further by government decree, and in the office where I worked this resulted in the central heating boiler (located in the roof space) freezing and rupturing over Christmas so we came back to a flooded office and had no heating at all until well into the new year. So when I saw a job in Toronto advertised, that was one factor in my deciding to apply. After a few years in Canada I'd go back on a visit and shiver almost wherever I went. My wife still has a nasty habit of turning down thermostats, even after 35 years. In her first marriage, money was very short, and she herself had installed the central heating in the one house they lived in that had it. As for health issues, I believe that low humidity is a greater hazard to health than low indoor temperatures, and the lower the humidity the higher the temperature you need to feel warm; but I may have been brainwashed.
Omg !! Miners strike !! That's imprinted in my memory and 3 day week Sad . We keep our living room very warm . Rest of the house much cooler . I sleep better in a cooler room .

(19-12-2013, 03:28 AM)mymoobs Wrote:  Omg !! Miners strike !! That's imprinted in my memory and 3 day week Sad . We keep our living room very warm . Rest of the house much cooler . I sleep better in a cooler room .
Although I prefer it hot, here it is, in the 20's and low 30's here and I sleep naked with no blankets and with a fan blowing on me! On the third floor, there's no heat except that which flows up from the 2nd floor, which is like a sauna, despite the heat only being turned up to 69 or 71....yet mom is still freezing!

(19-12-2013, 04:21 AM)Girl2B Wrote:  
(19-12-2013, 03:28 AM)mymoobs Wrote:  Omg !! Miners strike !! That's imprinted in my memory and 3 day week Sad . We keep our living room very warm . Rest of the house much cooler . I sleep better in a cooler room .
Although I prefer it hot, here it is, in the 20's and low 30's here and I sleep naked with no blankets and with a fan blowing on me! On the third floor, there's no heat except that which flows up from the 2nd floor, which is like a sauna, despite the heat only being turned up to 69 or 71....yet mom is still freezing!
I find as I get older I feell cold more Sad

Hi AP,

Quote: My visit to the NP yesterday did result in her prescribing gabapentin for my peripheral neuropathy

Quote: Interestingly it looks as if it may promote HGH production, in which case it may help with NBE. I hope it's not too expensive - we have no pharmacare insurance.

This is interesting, I've never heard that, certain drug makers offer discounts, it never hurts to ask.

Pm me if you have any questions about it.

L

The gabapentin turned out to be surprisingly inexpensive; well under C$20 for 90 100mg pills . That's a very small starting dose, but in my experience the increase for larger dose pills tends not to be that great. If it does help NBE or even just helps me sleep, then that's a plus. Does it help you, at least with the neuropathy? It seems to me that our objectives are not that different, but progress seems to be. I tried taking straight GABA once before, without any obvious sleep or NBE benefit, but probably very little
reached the brain whereas gabapentin does do so.

My recent posting splurge is probably over for a bit. We're off tomorrow on our annual 1000 mile drive to my step-daughter for Christmas, so my time on line may be restricted. Best holiday wishes to you and everyone here.

Again safe travels for AP,

The same for everyone else traveling! Smile

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon