Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Transgender book recommendations

(21-04-2014, 03:26 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  Thanks for bringing that book to our attention, Annie. I found it on Amazon marketplace and ordered a used copy for a good price. The book summary sounds very interesting. I wonder how many children are born with both male and female sex organs, have surgical alterations made, and not told about it.

Clara Smile

I know that you've made a later post on this but it was in another thread and I can't for now find it. Having deprived myself of sleep for several nights I have now finished reading the book. Aside from anything else I was intrigued as to how the author would manage to close the story. Gender issues apart, I found it a marvellous book, beautifully written with wonderful descriptions of the Labrador landscape and remarkable human understanding and respect for her characters. There seems to be something here for everyone. Oddly perhaps it invited comparison in my mind with my favourite book of all, Kenneth Grahame's Wind in the Willows, which also has outstanding evocations of landscape and place, and in which the animal characters had very human virtues and failings. Annabel has a much broader canvas and a much more adult approach to real life, including managing to imbue her protagonist with episodes of dysphoria of kinds to which I can relate,

Slightly off topic: I just found out Dave Palmer had a sex change in 2004!! :-) She now goes the name, Dee Palmer. Dave used to play keyboards in Jethro Tull!
That's at least 4 musos that I know of that had a sex change. Carla Beck, Kim Petras and Wendy Carlos being the other three. Should Chaz Bono be on that list? I don't know if he's a musician.

(02-05-2014, 09:44 AM)Missed Miss Wrote:  Slightly off topic: I just found out Dave Palmer had a sex change in 2004!! :-) She now goes the name, Dee Palmer. Dave used to play keyboards in Jethro Tull!
That's at least 4 musos that I know of that had a sex change. Carla Beck, Kim Petras and Wendy Carlos being the other three. Should Chaz Bono be on that list? I don't know if he's a musician.

Don't know if it would count but Chaz Bono dropped out of collage to follow music career. Formed Ceremony. Got a record contract with Geffen Records. Released one album.

Ceremony - Hang out your poetry

Chastity Bono Composer, Guitar, Guitar (Acoustic), Percussion, Vocals.

Transgender and transsexual musicians

Denita

(02-05-2014, 02:26 PM)Denita Wrote:  
(02-05-2014, 09:44 AM)Missed Miss Wrote:  Slightly off topic: I just found out Dave Palmer had a sex change in 2004!! :-) She now goes the name, Dee Palmer. Dave used to play keyboards in Jethro Tull!

Don't know if it would count but Chaz Bono dropped out of collage to follow music career. Formed Ceremony. Got a record contract with Geffen Records. Released one album.

Denita
Yeah, that works for me! :-)
I'm sure there's been others, I just recall who they are.

(02-05-2014, 06:17 PM)Missed Miss Wrote:  
(02-05-2014, 02:26 PM)Denita Wrote:  

Denita
Yeah, that works for me! :-)
I'm sure there's been others, I just recall who they are.

Yeah I know what you mean. The wikipedia list is no where near complete.

I just received two books about transgenders:

She's Not There - A Life in Two Genders by Jennifer Finney Boylan

and

Transgender Explained - For Those Who are Not by Joanne Herman

Can't recommend either of them yet, but at first glance they look interesting. I'm hoping that Transgender Explained will be helpful to those who eventually learn about my being trans, and are unable to understand what the hell happened to me....????.

Clara Smile

Both books are excellent. I'm just half way through She's Not There and already I want to encourage people to read this best seller that's been translated into 8 languages. It's a well-written, light-hearted while at the same time serious memoir of a gender conflicted, straight man who married, had children, a successful career, and resisted his transgender nature for years, but finally decided to transition to live as a woman at age 42. I really identified with Jennifer (formerly James) Boylan. Great book!

The second book Transgender Explained - For Those Who are Not is a fairly short book meant as a primer for someone who is unfamiliar with the subject of transgenderism. I'm thinking it would be great for someone who wants/needs to better understand your TG/TS nature -- a spouse, relatives, a boss.

Clara Smile

Well, I finished She's Not There by Jennifer Finney Boylan. My recommendation holds. Very good book. Even if you are not transsexual, I think that any married transgender who plans to come out to a spouse, will benefit by reading this book. It's a book about transition, to be sure, but more importantly, it's about love and acceptance in a transgender relationship. I found it very uplifting. I've passed it on to my wife to read. I'll report back on her reaction later.

Clara Smile

My DW has been doing her own TG research and has come up with much interesting material of which I had been unaware. Amongst this is a recent book 'Head over Heels - Wives who Stay with Cross-Dressers and Transexuals' which she has finished reading and I amnow in the middle of. I am sure that it is useful reading for all of us here whon are married.

Hi Annie,
Interesting coincidence. I just received Head Over Heels along with another book your wife might be interested in:

My Husband's a Woman Now

Both present positive views about being the wife of a transgender. My wife and I are both intending to read them.

Clara Smile

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon