Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Anti-Androgens

Peggy,

ROLE OF DHT IN HAIR LOSS
Over time, DHT tends to shorten the growing phase of your hair’s cycle, which allows the cycle’s resting phase to grow longer, according to David H. Kingsley, Ph.D., author of “The Hair-Loss Cure.” The hormone also gradually reduces the size of the affected follicles, which causes those hairs to become shorter and much finer in texture. As this process continues and accelerates, so does your loss of hair.

HOW CAFFEINE HELPS
A team of German researchers found that caffeine blocks the damaging effects of DHT on hair follicles and stimulates the growth of new hair. Researchers published their findings in the January 2007 issue of the “International Journal of Dermatology.” Researchers based their findings on an in vitro study of caffeine’s effect on hair follicle proliferation. However, drinking more coffee, tea and cola is probably not going to do much to save your hair, according to a Mail Online article by Pat Hagan. The author points that you'll need topical applications of a caffeine-rich lotion or cream to block the damaging effects of DHT and stimulate hair growth.
Sponsored Links

The full article http://www.livestrong.com/article/550821-caffeine-dht/

Reports that too much exercise and excessive sex increases DHT, just ask weightlifters,....about the exercise part,lol

Then I find this-
Quote:higher levels of DHT do not cause balding. Genetic predisposition to going bald in the presence of DHT causes it. Now if you have higher than normal DHT then yes it will speed things up. But if that gene is there, you are going to go bald no matter what.

I've even read an article that said woman who constantly have their hair pulled back can cause hair loss. Again this statement is promising though:
Quote: drinking more coffee, tea and cola is probably not going to do much to save your hair, according to a Mail Online article by Pat Hagan. The author points that you'll need topical applications of a caffeine-rich lotion or cream to block the damaging effects of DHT and stimulate hair growth.

Peggy,

DHT is certainly a factor in both hair loss on the head and excessive hair growth elsewhere on the body. Based on the studies on spearmint, it would seem that spearmint would be beneficial. in helping control DHT. Acne is also caused by hormones, and controlling DHT my be beneficial for that as well. Something I haven't seen mentioned so far is the vitamin biotin which is commonly available over the counter at most places that sell supplements. Biotin was prescribed to my mother for hair loss and thinning by one of her doctors, but I'm not sure the dose was high enough or that it helped much.

Good one Monika,

(01-01-2014, 01:02 AM)MonikaT Wrote:  Biotin was prescribed to my mother for hair loss and thinning by one of her doctors, but I'm not sure the dose was high enough or that it helped much.

Did you know a cause of biotin deficiency may result from anti-convulsant therapy, prolonged oral antibiotic therapy and eating raw egg whites?, I didn't.....currently on anti-convulsant therapy. Dodgy

My doctor who again is as old as dirt suggested that I take Devils Claw for my arthritis, I had a hard time taking it due to some GI issues. When I saw him again I reminded him that he suggested it, his response......(and with a look of shock on his face) I did?...meh!

Nowadays I question most of what my doc tells me,lol, sorry I was just reminded of that when you mentioned your mothers doctor for some reason.

Thanks Monika and Lotus. I am taking Biotin 5mg already. Will eventually buy caffeine extract and mix it in my hair water.

Peggy, something else to consider about hair loss,

Having hypothyroidism, I find that I haven't really paid enough attention about the medication, side effects and interactions. But interestingly Hashimoto's thyroiditis very often results in hypothyroidism with bouts of hyperthyroidism.

Hashimoto's-an average of 1 to 1.5 in 1000 people have this disease,It occurs between eight and fifteen times more often in women than in men.

Quote:Signs and symptoms
Hashimoto's thyroiditis very often results in hypothyroidism with bouts of hyperthyroidism. Symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis include weight gain, depression, mania, sensitivity to heat and cold, paresthesia, chronic fatigue, panic, bradycardia, tachycardia, congestive heart failure, high cholesterol, reactive hypoglycemia, constipation, migraines, muscle weakness, joint stiffness, menorrhagia, myxedematous psychosis, cramps, memory loss, vision problems, infertility and hair loss.[citation needed]

Selenium as a treatment
Although the current clinical practice guidelines for hypothyroidism in adults do not indicate Selenium supplementation[14], a 1-year study of 46 patients found supplementing 80μg per day of Selenium slowed several markers of disease progression.[15]. Another study comparing 100μg and 200μg doses of Selenium combined with levothyroxine in 88 female patients over 9 months found that 200μg was more effective.[16]. A 2013 systemic review found there is still not enough evidence to definitively support or refute the efficacy of Selenium for Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and urges more clinical trials are needed before efficacy can be proven.[17]
As a dietary supplement, the FDA recommends at least 55μg per day of Selenium for adults with a Tolerable Upper Intake Level of 400μg.[18]

-There are also foods and other substances that can interfere with absorption of thyroxine replacement. People should avoid taking calcium and iron supplements within 4 hours,[13] as well as soy products within 3 hours of the medication, as these can reduce absorption of the drug.Grapefruit juice may delay the absorption of levothyroxine, but based on a study of 10 healthy people aged 20–30 (8 men, 2 women) it may not have a significant effect on bioavailability in young adults.[14] Other substances that reduce absorption are aluminium and magnesium containing antacids, simethicone or sucralfate, cholestyramine, colestipol, Kayexalate. A study of eight women suggested that coffee may interfere with the intestinal absorption of levothyroxine, though at a level less than eating bran.[15] Different substances cause other adverse effects that may be severe. Ketamine may cause hypertension and tachycardia and tricyclic and tetracyclic antidepressants increase its toxicity. On the other hand lithium can cause hyperthyroidism (but most often hypothyroidism) by affecting iodine metabolism of the thyroid itself and thus inhibits synthetic levothyroxine as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashimoto's_thyroiditis

Surprisingly taking the thyroid medication prescribed causes hair loss as well, although doctors will tell you it's temporary, that's not always the case-
Quote:I suspect that the issue is related to Levothyroxine, however have been dismissed by my Dr who said it will settle down, however it just seems to be getting worse To make me feel worse, I can't even see any signs of regrowth yet either
Quote:I too have increased hair loss since starting the brand version of levothyroxine (synthroid) early this year. What concerns me in your case is that you had no hair loss before. Are you sure? Sometimes bang area hair loss is hard to detect if it is gradual because the hair is finer there and goes down the drain easily or is less noticeable on the brush.
http://www.heralopecia.com/interact/show...othyroxine

Like I said, just something to consider Smile there will always be pros and cons when it comes to side effects and interactions!

Lotus, I have Hashimoto's and since I started taking medication for my thyroid the hair loss got better. That's the reason why I am worried that it suddenly got worser again some weeks ago.

I've been told I'm probably one of those (un)lucky males who has Hashimoto's, but the doctor's have never bothered to do the necessary tests to confirm it. I refuse to take synthetic levothyroxine and insist on natural thyroid such as Armour, Westhroid, or Naturethroid. All of them are derived from dessicated pig thyroid, though there are beef version also out there. My biggest issue is the doctors are all over the place when it comes to ordering blood work and interpreting it properly. I keep trying to follow what is posted at www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/lab-values/ but my doctors keep telling me I'm wrong. All I know is my body temp can drop as low as 95.8 to 96.2, and I awake shivering in the middle of the night, my fingernails break and flake off easily, I'm depressed, and right now, I sometimes choke on water. My thyroid appears to enlarge from time to time, making it hard to swallow food at times. I'm tired and lethargic and need about 800 mg - 1000 mg of caffeine (8-10 cups of coffee) throughout the day to function, but health recommendations are to stay below 400 mg.

I generally do not trust any doctor I've been to. They all focus on all of my symptoms, each of which is a treatable/manageable condition, rather than admitting that maybe there is a bigger underlying condition such as low testosterone at play. I have every symptom of low T except my total T is above 300 (it's 385). I try to tell them they again have it wrong because total T is unreliable when a person is diabetic and has a thyroid disorder, and they dismiss me despite my quoting from guidelines given by the endocrine society, Johns Hopkins, and the Mayo Clinic. My free T is all that matters, and it is below the bottom end of the reference range, but my doctor ignores me. I have to live in this body, and I know when something is wrong. I don't care what the blood work says. I have the T level of an 85-yr-old male, and I'm about to turn 50.

The upper dose I've seen on biotin is 16 mg. I take 15 mg. per day partly because it is also supposed to be good for carbohydrate metabolism. Having had male pattern baldness since I was 15, I don't think anything can help my hair loss. Other than about a dozen hairs, I'm totally bald on top, and I have enough body hair to give Chewbacca a run for his money.

(31-12-2013, 11:37 PM)Lotus Wrote:  Ironically prior to your post I was thinking of body builders,

Not just for the fact of the countless benefits but for the science behind it. Think of it, their doing everything from promoting there amino-acids to maximizing there metabolism.

So for me it's all about maximizing the benefits of NBE, researching is the key, I'll read till my eyes bleed,lol.

That's great about your wife, what's been her success?

Your contributions are welcomed, pursuing NBE isn't a prerequisite, being an herbalist is beneficial too, since most of us (me) are part-time amateur practitioners,lol

Next on my list was Nettle Root, i can't be sure if it's an androgen or anti-androgen yet, on my Health/Diet post I talk about it here http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=17291&page=5 post #46

What are your thoughts about NR?

Totally... I enjoy the research of it, for understanding. And I'm into body modding in general. Very interesting to me.

My wife's success has been a cup size, but women's bodies and the hormone cycles involved can be... really difficult. It's not the same as just maxing out estrogen like it seems to be in men.

I think nettle root is more a potentiator, as in it creates more potential for your body to use the hormones. It binds to shbg, which your body produces to decrease hormones.

It also decreases aromatase(bad for boob growing) and decreases 5ar(good for boob growing).

So in taking nettle root you'll increase your overall hormone level.

Takeing it with an pro-aromatase herb (peony root, or liquorice tea), and paba or grapefruit extract to slow the breakdown of the extra hormones you'll have circulating and it should help you out.

While reviewing Isabelle's Long time Hops thread I came across this post!, which btw, if you ever wanted to increase your NBE IQ, just read her thread! Wink

(26-07-2011, 10:12 PM)Isabelle Wrote:  So I don't need to increase my anti-androgen. The question is whether I'm not taking too much. I found this long thread about the benefits of DHT. Most of it is worth reading, too:
http://www.afboard.com/forum/showthread....our-friend

The first post is an article by Pat Arnold -Patrick Arnold is an American organic chemist known for introducing androstenedione-
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Arnold

Anyways it talks about DHT, other posts by Mister X are very informative and talks about other supplements.

(24-01-2014, 03:47 AM)Lotus~Aphrodité Wrote:  While reviewing Isabelle's Long time Hops thread I came across this post!, which btw, if you ever wanted to increase your NBE IQ, just read her thread! Wink

Actually, digging back through the old threads on this massive site is a very humbling experience. There is so much accumulated wisdom in these threads. I do wish the search engine allowed for more specific results, but overall the volume alone is incredible. There are totally amazing stories and advice buried here.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon