Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Either / or hair style

(11-01-2014, 04:49 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  I ordered spearmint 400 mg capsules from Swanson's Herbs. It's supposed to inhibit the body's production of DHT which should help with scalp hair growth, too.

I concur with Sarah. From what I've gathered, spearmint lowers free T, saw palmetto limits conversion of T to DHT. Both should be beneficial for growing hair but sadly, nothing noticeable for me. I've not heard anything about PM helping hair but I don't dispute your experience CK.

As you may have noticed - I am still here - just cannot seem to quit somehow ....

As I read this, I am listening to the soundtrack from 'Once upon a time in Mexico' - well actually an album by 'Chingon - Mexican Spaghetti Western' . Think the Antonio Banderas look has a lot going for it!!!!

Cheers and happy new year

David,

(11-01-2014, 07:42 PM)SarahSchilling Wrote:  From my understanding, spearmint does not block the conversion of testosterone into DHT, but rather lowers free T....which should help with hair loss/regrowth as well.

(11-01-2014, 08:10 PM)doodlebug2055 Wrote:  I concur with Sarah. From what I've gathered, spearmint lowers free T, saw palmetto limits conversion of T to DHT. Both should be beneficial for growing hair but sadly, nothing noticeable for me. I've not heard anything about PM helping hair but I don't dispute your experience CK.

Thank you, Sarah and Doodle. Yes, I didn't expect any scalp hair growth with just taking PM either. Quite a surprise. I'm assuming I can enhance this hair growth further by lowering my DHT. Are you girls suggesting that I should add a 5ar inhibitor like Saw Palmetto if I want to attack DHT directly or will the Spearmint be enough? A quick use of the Search engine pointed me to Pygeum as an alternative to SP. Swanson sells SP, Pygeum, and a combo SP+Pygeum. What do you recommend I try first?

BTW, I know that the Spearmint is going to further kill my sex drive. I'm getting more and more comfortable with that. Big Grin

CK

Well, first off....definitely avoid the combo, as you want to test for side effects in anything new...and that would be harder to do with a mixture of the two.

As for SP, I used to take it. It made me gain weight though...which wasn't a bad thing since I weighed about 125lbs at the time. But still pissed me off. It also tastes horrible coming back up in belches...and it will. Not very easy on the stomach.

On the other hand, there is plenty of info on dosing available since so many of us have used it....and it does seem to slow hair loss up top and hair growth elsewhere.

As for Pygeum, I have no experience with it.

Personally, I use Fincar to block DHT. Then again, I'm not as convinced that anything "natural" is always inherently safer than drugs. Honestly I've had more negative side effects from herbs than from any prescription drugs. That's neither here nor there though.

I guess buying a small amount of each and test them is what I'd do if I were you. See which you prefer, or just go with the SP first if you don't mind putting on some flab around the belly/hips/thighs. Get the Doctor's Best brand of extract that's 320mg a pill though. Half as much capsule coating BS to put into your body that way as opposed to the 160mg every other kind seems to be.

(11-01-2014, 10:37 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  I'm assuming I can enhance this hair growth further by lowering my DHT. Are you girls suggesting that I should add a 5ar inhibitor like Saw Palmetto if I want to attack DHT directly or will the Spearmint be enough? ... What do you recommend I try first?

BTW, I know that the Spearmint is going to further kill my sex drive. I'm getting more and more comfortable with that. Big Grin

I've searched a lot (trust me) for herbal hair grow and, while some point to SP, many more say that it's ineffective. In theory, it should work but few people report positive hair growth from the use of SP. My attitude is it can't hurt but I'm not holding my breath. Assuming for a second that SP DOES work for hair, I can't say with any certainty that spearmint would have the same end result. I doesn't seem to work for me in that way.

As for using them together, the wise recommendation, as Sarah indicated, is to add things one at a time. I started using SP at the beginning of my journey and continue to this day (Target brand 320mg per dose 2x per day). I added spearmint (400mg 2x per day) in October and have not had any ill effects whatsoever from it or the combination.

To answer your question CK, if you want to go after DHT, I think SP would be the best choice.

(11-01-2014, 06:00 AM)doodlebug2055 Wrote:  
(11-01-2014, 05:26 AM)flamesabers Wrote:  Unfortunately, I can't do the same due to job requirements. Dodgy

Is it in writing or just a "well know fact"? Gosh, it sure seems controlling to say men must have short hair. Especially if you're not in customer service. ...Sounds like you'd like to have long hair if it wasn't for your job???

It's in writing.

I'm not sure how I'll like having long hair, but it's something I would like to experiment with. I did try growing my hair out once during my teen years. I got something of a mullet going for me back then.

(11-01-2014, 05:31 AM)SarahSchilling Wrote:  *Shrugs* I'll trade ya some hair for boobs. Shit's annoying anyways. Grass is always greener, I guess.
(11-01-2014, 06:00 AM)doodlebug2055 Wrote:  What??? I like your hair Sarah! I've often said to myself I can't wait till mine's as long as yours. Have you ever tried getting some wave or medium curl in yours? I think that would look nice on you. Do you enjoy it when you're feeling especially girly? How long has it taken you to get it that long? (This is going to be discouraging but tell me anyway)

I also like your hair Sarah. It makes you look all the more feminine I think.

I grew my hair out in college, looked more like a grunge rocker. Shaped my eyebrows too. But I didn't take care of my hair like the girls in my life take care of theirs. You'll need to brush it A LOT. Buy a hair dryer. And keep brushing.

As you grow it out just say you were inspired by the Hobbit movies. Big Grin

All I have to say is WOW that dude has some gorgeous hair!

I for one have been shaving my head bald for the last 6+ years due to my male pattern baldness. Tried growing it out some last year but was told I looked like I was wearing a white yamaka from a distance so resorted back to shaving. However, with my current perspective on life I've decided to start growing it again and have not shaved it in two weeks.

As for the herbs, I started on saw palmetto 9 days ago and ramped right to maximum recommend on the bottle (5 pills per day @ 450 mg) as well as 2 ginkgo biloba pills daily.

When i did have long hair 20+ years ago it was straight as an arrow, and I'm sure it will grow out the same now. I could only dream of hair like that, though my daughter does have that super iron that puts really big curls in her hair.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon