Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Gender Dysphoria

There are three stages of MtF transition according to Dr. Bushong:

1. Recognition that one's Brain Gender is different from one's Physical Gender—This first phase comprises the majority of transgender persons (75 – 95%) and can take the form of seeing one's self as a "woman trapped in a man's body," a need to express one's "feminine side," etc. This stage is mainly concerned with physical/surface changes such as crossdressing, passing, makeup, wigs, etc. In this first part, many gender folk don't even venture from their own home in female attire or restrict their expression to undergarments (bra, panties) in public. They often have a juvenile (before age 15) and later, an adult phase. There is often years or decades between the two phases. This level is filled with confusion, conflict, guilt, panic, and purging. The so called "Primary Transsexual" is an individual who never constructs a male persona and therefore never accepts their male genitals or challenges their female Self Map/subjective gender.

2. Accepting one's True Self— This stage is much more varied than the first, and has less emotional turmoil. This is the stage where one begins to accept their female self in some way and to make lifestyle changes to accommodate this acceptance. One may only accept the need to appear female, still denying their female true self (crossdresser) or begin to accept their true female self, but concentrating on a superficial physical level of change (transsexual, transgender). The self-identified crossdresser may begin to bring his significant other into his dressing, begin going to crossdresser meetings and events, or even going out into public. Those individuals more accepting of their true self will start to look for help in physical transitioning, such as hormones, electrolysis, and surgery, as well as wigs, makeup and clothes. The major insight lacking at this stage is that they are still under the control of the male persona with all of its unnatural fears, drives, expectations, and knowledge. Even their view of their "female self" is his view, not their freed and autonomous female self. They are still trapped in the belief that physical form alone determines gender.

3. Becoming one's True Self — This is the last but unfortunately least experienced part of transitioning. This is the stage when that little girl trapped inside an artificial male persona in order to fit in, breaks free, grows up and has her own life — often with markedly different values, temperament and interests. It has been my observation that the female self needs little help in growing up and developing if the overpowering weight of the male persona is removed from it. The transgender individual has spent years, decades developing, reinforcing and living in their male role. Dismantling the male persona takes a great deal of time, effort and outside help. But, an individual's sense of happiness and success is directly parallel with the degree they have dismantled their male identity, not on their age, physical size, hormones, surgery, etc.

Most of us here at BN are at least in the first stage. Having breasts is a way to express one's feminine side. Many are in stage 2 and prefer not to transition further. And, a few of us are in stage 3, or would like to progress to stage 3.

Do you think this is a meaningful way to look at transitioning? If so, where do you fit? Where would you like to be?

Me? I'm definitely in stage 2 at this time, but aspire to stage 3. I feel the getting to stage 3 is very challenging -- physically, emotionally, and financially.

Clara

(02-08-2014, 06:32 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  There are three stages of MtF transition according to Dr. Bushong:

1. Recognition that one's Brain Gender is different from one's Physical Gender—This first phase comprises the majority of transgender persons (75 – 95%) and can take the form of seeing one's self as a "woman trapped in a man's body," a need to express one's "feminine side," etc. This stage is mainly concerned with physical/surface changes such as crossdressing, passing, makeup, wigs, etc. In this first part, many gender folk don't even venture from their own home in female attire or restrict their expression to undergarments (bra, panties) in public. They often have a juvenile (before age 15) and later, an adult phase. There is often years or decades between the two phases. This level is filled with confusion, conflict, guilt, panic, and purging. The so called "Primary Transsexual" is an individual who never constructs a male persona and therefore never accepts their male genitals or challenges their female Self Map/subjective gender.

2. Accepting one's True Self— This stage is much more varied than the first, and has less emotional turmoil. This is the stage where one begins to accept their female self in some way and to make lifestyle changes to accommodate this acceptance. One may only accept the need to appear female, still denying their female true self (crossdresser) or begin to accept their true female self, but concentrating on a superficial physical level of change (transsexual, transgender). The self-identified crossdresser may begin to bring his significant other into his dressing, begin going to crossdresser meetings and events, or even going out into public. Those individuals more accepting of their true self will start to look for help in physical transitioning, such as hormones, electrolysis, and surgery, as well as wigs, makeup and clothes. The major insight lacking at this stage is that they are still under the control of the male persona with all of its unnatural fears, drives, expectations, and knowledge. Even their view of their "female self" is his view, not their freed and autonomous female self. They are still trapped in the belief that physical form alone determines gender.

3. Becoming one's True Self — This is the last but unfortunately least experienced part of transitioning. This is the stage when that little girl trapped inside an artificial male persona in order to fit in, breaks free, grows up and has her own life — often with markedly different values, temperament and interests. It has been my observation that the female self needs little help in growing up and developing if the overpowering weight of the male persona is removed from it. The transgender individual has spent years, decades developing, reinforcing and living in their male role. Dismantling the male persona takes a great deal of time, effort and outside help. But, an individual's sense of happiness and success is directly parallel with the degree they have dismantled their male identity, not on their age, physical size, hormones, surgery, etc.

Most of us here at BN are at least in the first stage. Having breasts is a way to express one's feminine side. Many are in stage 2 and prefer not to transition further. And, a few of us are in stage 3, or would like to progress to stage 3.

Do you think this is a meaningful way to look at transitioning? If so, where do you fit? Where would you like to be?

Me? I'm definitely in stage 2 at this time, but aspire to stage 3. I feel the getting to stage 3 is very challenging -- physically, emotionally, and financially.

Clara

This a question (or group of questions) that requires some thought. I believe that for many of us, Dr Bushong's approach is incomplete because it is all about 'self'. Thus although it would seem clear that I am in his Stage 2, the situation is complicated by a powerful union I have with another person, my wife, which I increasingly feel is now developed well beyond sex or gender. Such unions between two persons are by no means limited to sexually originating unions; they may be between a parent and an adult child who never leaves home, between siblings, between friends, or in marriages having other than a sexual basis. They are characterised by a deep and strong personal interdependence and a substantial measure of cohabitation. It seems that a number of us have had long and largely successful marriages despite our gender identities, creating a union that may be as compelling to us as our need to transition. This is a factor that Dr Bushong seems to ignore.

(02-08-2014, 10:35 PM)AnnieBL Wrote:  This a question (or group of questions) that requires some thought. I believe that for many of us, Dr Bushong's approach is incomplete because it is all about 'self'. Thus although it would seem clear that I am in his Stage 2, the situation is complicated by a powerful union I have with another person, my wife, which I increasingly feel is now developed well beyond sex or gender. Such unions between two persons are by no means limited to sexually originating unions; they may be between a parent and an adult child who never leaves home, between siblings, between friends, or in marriages having other than a sexual basis. They are characterised by a deep and strong personal interdependence and a substantial measure of cohabitation. It seems that a number of us have had long and largely successful marriages despite our gender identities, creating a union that may be as compelling to us as our need to transition. This is a factor that Dr Bushong seems to ignore.

Hmmm, I'm not sure I understand, Annie. Such unions or long standing relationships might be reason to limit one's transition so that reaching one's true self is not achieved, but how does that invalidate the three stage model he describes?

Clara

Clara,

I don't think that my reservation invalidates the three stage model as such, but it may modify it because with such a union the other half of the union will become a partner in the transition and this must influence how if at all the third stage is reached. The difference may be just philosophical, but I didn't like the way the word 'self' stood out and hit me in the face. We're not islands, in this or anything else.Huh

Yeah, I see your point, Annie. I guess I didn't view the word 'self' in a negative way -- although it is the root of the word 'selfish'... IMO, all love starts with love of self, so becoming and loving oneself seems a useful goal

Clara

Clara. I think for me the three stages are scary. For 21 years give or take of adult life I just had a few pieces of female clothing and I would read TG fiction. Less then two years a go I started buying a lot of female clothing. Over a year a go I started NBE, and I have no intention of stopping. Now I'm going to go to SCC, and I am so looking forward to going. Had some recent freak outs about the whole thing recently, but other then that everything seems to be going in one direction faster than I think it would. Robin.

Hey, Robin. I know the feeling. It's like a volcano. For years, nothing much happens, then signs start to appear -- tremors, fissures, steam. Pressure builds and the warnings go out. In the final stages things happen so fast, it's hard to catch a breath.

I'm at the point where there is nothing holding me back now except money and logistics.

Check out this post by me from 8 months ago:

(20-12-2013, 08:53 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  I don't think I'm transsexual, but I've heard tell that taking hormones (and herbs that have a similar effect) can be a slippery slope.

The way I look at it is NBE *is* transitioning in the sense that I am feminizing my body (and mind) to an extent that could disrupt my life in both positive as well as negative ways. The problem is not knowing a priori the long term consequences either way.

At this point, I'm going for it because the positives do outweigh what I see as the negatives, but if the scales should shift will I be able to adjust?

I would be quite happy with breast development up to point. I'm not sure how far I can or want to go, but I've told my wife (truthfully) that I won't ever be presenting as female in public (risky assertion?). That means being able to hide my breasts in public. She's already bought me a sports bra without me asking!

The devil I don't know is: Will I be able to stop growth at some point, go on a maintenance dose of PM, and still keep the mental benefits? IIRC, Flame, that you found it necessary to *increase* your PM dosage to maintain the "brain rewiring" you desire. That's fine as long as you don't mind continued breast development (assuming you've not yet reached full size). Otherwise, a difficult choice would have to be made.

Then too, I might also discover down the road that I *am* transsexual. Huh

Yeah, it's scary when I think about it. It's like I'm driving into a thick fog -- a thick pink fog. Smile

Clara Kay

Surprise! I AM a transsexual after all.

Clara Cool

Its okay, Robin, many of us have had doubts along the way. Just listen to your heart and to your body. And think about what I told you, okay? You will be okay, I promise.
Hugs
Sammie

Thanks, Sammie. I should have realized that I was throwing gasoline on the fire. You rightly reached for the fire extinguisher.

Clara Blush

Ok Clara and Sammie I will see you shortly in Atlanta and you can see me in person and you two can discuss the logistics of this whole thing. Robin.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon