Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

I am trying to pick a name....for the alto ego ...

Clara wrote: Actually, Diana is nice, too. I didn't mean to give my sister Lisa a hard time. Wink

Yes you did sis, that's what OLDER sisters do! Tongue

"being associated with wild animals"

I adamantly deny any associations with wild animals Blush That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

(01-02-2014, 03:37 PM)Lisa Lou Wrote:  Clara wrote: Actually, Diana is nice, too. I didn't mean to give my sister Lisa a hard time. Wink

Yes you did sis, that's what OLDER sisters do! Tongue

"being associated with wild animals"

I adamantly deny any associations with wild animals Blush That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ah, but what does the rhino say, hmmmm? LOLBig Grin

According to my favourite dictionary, the female form of David is Vida (derived form the Scottish Davina).

I adopted my own screen name for just about exactly the same reason and history as Karren. Since I don't particularly like Annabel I've been contemplating Ulrica (Rickie for short). Since North American convention almost always, for familiar and casual usage, lengthens to two syllables or substitutes single syllable forenames and shortens by at least one syllable or provides shorter substitutes for forenames having two or more syllables, I've wondered what is in fact the casual form of Annabel? Not Bella I hope, for various reasons.

I'm not at all keen on Diana. Ever since Diana, princess by ill-starred marriage, first appeared on the scene, I thought and then said that she was a disaster in the making. I am amazed that the royal family's advisors ever dreamed of sanctioning a liaison with that family in view of its historical and marital record; as they say, those who ignore history are destined to repeat it. Moreover, as an apparent young innocent, she was pretty. Princesses are allowed to be beautiful, but not pretty. I'm sure that I'm offending somebody: most of the gay men I know in this area absolutely adore and worship her (posthumously at least), which I find strange Both myself and my wife, as labelled Brits although we have lived longer in Canada than a majority of native-born Canadians, regret the influence she has had on Britain and the additional dubious heredity she may have introduced into the royal family. Rant mode off Dodgy

(01-02-2014, 04:41 PM)AnnabelP Wrote:  According to my favourite dictionary, the female form of David is Vida (derived form the Scottish Davina).

I adopted my own screen name for just about exactly the same reason and history as Karren. Since I don't particularly like Annabel I've been contemplating Ulrica (Rickie for short). Since North American convention almost always, for familiar and casual usage, lengthens to two syllables or substitutes single syllable first names and shortens by at least one syllable or provides shorter substitutes for forenames having two or more syllables, I've wondered what is in fact the casual form of Annabel? Not Bella I hope.

I'm not at all keen on Diana. Ever since Diana, princess by ill-starred marriage, first appeared on the scene, I thought and then said that she was a disaster in the making. I am amazed that the royal family's advisors ever dreamed of sanctioning a liaison with that family in view of its historical and marital record); as they say, those who ignore history are destined to repeat it. Moreover, as an apparent young innocent, she was pretty. Princesses are allowed to be beautiful, but not pretty. I'm sure that I'm offending somebody: most of the gay men I know in this area absolutely adore and worship her (posthumously at least), which I find strange Both myself and my wife, as labelled Brits although we have lived longer in Canada than a majority of native-born Canadians, regret the influence she has had on Britain and the additional dubious heredity she may have introduced into the royal family. Rant mode off Dodgy

How about, Annie, AB? I am guessing if my daughter had been given your name, in school her friends would have shortened it to Annie. Personally, I always liked that name.
As to Diana, in regard to the princess, I agree with you. In the past, I was a vocal critic of those who professed to adore her. I had no sympathy for her whatsoever, but... but... that, really, was before Samantha had become such a large part of me (and before messing with my hormones for four years). Many of my views have softened in that time. I don't tend to see things so assuredly in simple black and white anymore. While still very disappointed in her, and without really forgiving her, I do now feel a certain powerful empathy for someone torn between a valued commitment with attendant responsibilities and a desire to find personal fulfillment. Wink, wink. LOL
But I was not even thinking about her when I suggested the name. Rather it was strictly the classical allusion. What about just Diane?
Hugs

I just realized we are three pages into this thread and we haven't heard a peep out of David. Huh

Clara Smile

(01-02-2014, 05:24 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  I just realized we are three pages into this thread and we haven't heard a peep out of David. Huh

Clara Smile

You are right...what a bunch of Chatty Cathie's! ROFLMAO
Hello ???? David ??? Are still here???
Tee hee

Just looked in, subliminally for now - what a response - will get back with a considered thought a bit later - just doing grand-daughters tea ......

Thank you all

David (for now)

So here it is, the rebirth.

After a lot of thought over a few weeks (and thanks for all the input) Miranda is the choice for the future.

It is a name I have loved for years - a moon of Uranus, The daughter of Prospero as per Shakespear's Tempest (wherein she is portrayed as a caricature of female virtues, as I remember it from English Lit.) and yet the occasion when the name took on a real resonance for me was when I first watched 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' in my early twenties. That film really resonated with me and still does - I still have it on my todo list to visit the site in Australia.
Of course, I realise the film was a dramatisation but somehow it gets to me every time I watch it. I still have my school jotters from way back in which, inscribed many, many times, is my mantra from then 'Everything happens in the perfect manner, in the perfect place and at the perfect time' (I still sort of subscribe to this) - the phrase from 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' which leaps out at me every time I watch it, is one ascribed to Miranda - 'Everything begins and Ends at the right time and place'.

It was a name I wanted to choose at the birth of two of my three daughters, but was overruled each time - so it seems appropriate to adopt it for myself now.

I think this rebirth is going to take a bit of getting used to - it seems a major first milestone, accepting a second persona, on a journey to an unknown destination.

Please forgive my ramblings here and elsewhere on this forum - I am struggling with getting to grips with any of this.

Love

M x

Well, Miranda it is then. Lovely name.

Clara Smile

(01-02-2014, 10:46 PM)Miranda-nata-est Wrote:  So here it is, the rebirth.

After a lot of thought over a few weeks (and thanks for all the input) Miranda is the choice for the future.

It is a name I have loved for years - a moon of Uranus, The daughter of Prospero as per Shakespear's Tempest (wherein she is portrayed as a caricature of female virtues, as I remember it from English Lit.) and yet the occasion when the name took on a real resonance for me was when I first watched 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' in my early twenties. That film really resonated with me and still does - I still have it on my todo list to visit the site in Australia.
Of course, I realise the film was a dramatisation but somehow it gets to me every time I watch it. I still have my school jotters from way back in which, inscribed many, many times, is my mantra from then 'Everything happens in the perfect manner, in the perfect place and at the perfect time' (I still sort of subscribe to this) - the phrase from 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' which leaps out at me every time I watch it, is one ascribed to Miranda - 'Everything begins and Ends at the right time and place'.

It was a name I wanted to choose at the birth of two of my three daughters, but was overruled each time - so it seems appropriate to adopt it for myself now.

I think this rebirth is going to take a bit of getting used to - it seems a major first milestone, accepting a second persona, on a journey to an unknown destination.

Please forgive my ramblings here and elsewhere on this forum - I am struggling with getting to grips with any of this.

Love

M x

Oh, sweetheart! I love it!Big Grin
How awesome! I am so pleased for you! How super that you found a name so perfect with so much meaning to you!
Miranda
Hello, Miranda!
Happy birthday! Yay!
Funnily, I played her boyfriend Ferdinand (when younger and more dashing), and also (more recently) her father, Prospero. So, I feel uniquely qualified to welcome you...tee hee.
And I know both the movie and the place. I went to a country horse race there years ago. Beautiful spot!
But, that doesn't matter... Oh Congrats!
I love it!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon