Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Shaved Legs

I know this is off topic but I had to post my experiences with shaving my legs.

I shaved them yesterday and wore pantyhose all day. OMG, what a lovely feeling this was!!! If I had known, I would have shaved them long ago!

I need an epilator!

-A

(01-02-2014, 11:33 PM)AmandaBust Wrote:  I know this is off topic but I had to post my experiences with shaving my legs.

I shaved them yesterday and wore pantyhose all day. OMG, what a lovely feeling this was!!! If I had known, I would have shaved them long ago!

I need an epilator!

-A

Agreed, you need an epilator! That's the way to go. I have long used one on my breasts, belly, pubes, and thighs and am now pretty much permanently hairless in those areas.

[/quote]

Agreed, you need an epilator! That's the way to go. I have long used one on my breasts, belly, pubes, and thighs and am now pretty much permanently hairless in those areas.

[/quote]

That is awesome! How long did it take before the hair stopped growing?

-A

[/quote]

That is awesome! How long did it take before the hair stopped growing?

-A

[/quote]

I had a moderately hairy chest. I shaved it a few times, but hated the stubble. So I started using the epilator I had bought for my pubic region. In less than a year my breasts were more or less permanently hairless. What hairs do still grow in are barely visible. About once a month I run the epilator over them to pluck the few hairs that still grow in. You can check out my breasts in the pictures section.

Of course my pubic hair was much thicker and denser, but now over 95% of that is gone forever. I can go weeks without touching it and it still looks smooth.

Well, let me add my experience to date, which isn't all that much. I've got a fair amount of course hair on my chest, belly, thighs, and all the normal places (none on my back, thank god). I hate body hair, so I started epilating about 3 months ago. It hurt mightily the first time, but once a hair is yanked out of a follicle, it's easier to do it the next time and with much less pain.

My problem with epilating is that I have a tendency to develop ingrown hairs. An ingrown hair is a hair shaft that doesn't penetrate the top layer of dead skin cells. It gets trapped in the epidermis and causes irritation, redness, and even a small infected 'pimple'. They itch like hell, especially at bedtime for some reason.

To minimize ingrown hairs, I have to exfoliate my skin. That means removing the top most layer of dead skin cells. I have to scrub my skin vigorously with a bath scrubby or loofah bath sponge until my skin turns a pinkish red. Even at that I get several ingrown hairs. Maddening! Angry

So, not being totally happy with epilating, and not wanting to shave daily to remove stubble, I decided to try laser hair removal (LHR). Many have found that LHR will reduce the amount of body and facial hair significantly over several months time. I can't use laser on my face because the hairs are gray. They must be brown or black and your skin must be on the fair side.

There are two ways to do LHR: 1) Commercial laser spa/clinic or 2) DIY home laser. Because of the high cost of option 1, I decided to try option 2 first.

After researching all the units sold for home use, I chose the Tria 4X. It uses diode laser technology instead of the IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) technology of most home units. IPL devices basically use a strong light pulse from a bulb to heat the hair shaft. The bulbs have to be replaced after several hundred pulses at about $20 a pop. The Tria 4X costs $449, which is supposed to give you 90,000 pulses before the unit is useless. There are no replaceable parts in the 4X. Sounds like an expensive way to go, but compared to laser clinic fees, it's a bargain if your willing and able to do the hair zapping procedure yourself.

I plan to treat one leg with the Tria, and continue using the epilator on the other leg for 6 months. I'll find out which method is most effective as measured by:

1) Amount of hair reduction in 6 months
2) Occurrence of ingrown hairs
3) Frequency of treatment (laser every two weeks with shaving in between).
4) Total time spent doing hair removal
5) Ease of use
6) Cost

LHR is very time consuming because the laser head is just 1/4" in diameter. After 3 to 6 treatments the amount of hair is reduced to mainly fine, colorless hairs. The level of pain drops off, too, as the hair follicle density is reduced.

Of course, I'll report on my results in time. Should be an interesting experiment.

Clara Smile

Interesting, thank you ladies for the information. I will try an epilator soon.

I had no idea the LHR caused pain???

-A

(02-02-2014, 12:55 AM)AmandaBust Wrote:  Interesting, thank you ladies for the information. I will try an epilator soon.

I had no idea the LHR caused pain???

-A

That's smart. Try the epilator first. If it works for you, great. You'll be amazed how painful it is at first, too.

I have not experienced laser yet, but there are plenty of reports out attesting to the pain. The laser heats the hair to a high temperature right down to the root. That's what kills the root -- heat. If there are a lot of follicles under the laser, it feels like cigarette snuffed out on your skin. Not pleasant.

Why couldn't I have been born a girl? Big Grin

As the hair density drops with each successive treatment, the pain gets less and less. That's one thing good about the Tria 4X. The laser width is small, so the pain per flash is less.

Clara Smile

I've had 1 laser treatment on my face so far.

Laser, to the best of my descriptive abilities, feels like someone popping you really hard in the face with a rubber band over and over. The rubber band is also on fire.

But then a couple weeks later hairs start falling out, and you can't wait to do it all over again! lol...it only stings for a few seconds. I can't imagine trying to do it on myself though. My face was red for a few hours, and sore until the next day. Then everything was fine.

Anyways, as to the topic....I prefer to wax my legs.

(02-02-2014, 02:48 AM)SarahSchilling Wrote:  I've had 1 laser treatment on my face so far.

Laser, to the best of my descriptive abilities, feels like someone popping you really hard in the face with a rubber band over and over. The rubber band is also on fire.

But then a couple weeks later hairs start falling out, and you can't wait to do it all over again! lol...it only stings for a few seconds. I can't imagine trying to do it on myself though. My face was red for a few hours, and sore until the next day. Then everything was fine.

Anyways, as to the topic....I prefer to wax my legs.

Oh no. I wouldn't do my face without professional help, either.

Sarah, what do expect it will cost to have your entire face treated by laser, say, 4 passes?

Clara Smile

(02-02-2014, 02:53 AM)ClaraKay Wrote:  Oh no. I wouldn't do my face without professional help, either.

Sarah, what do expect it will cost to have your entire face treated by laser, say, 4 passes?

Clara Smile

It depends on where you live, and on the laser used, and on the place you go to....and it will likely take more than 4 passes. Everyone is different though.

I bought a 5 treatment package using an Alexandrite wavelength laser at this plastic surgery place for 405 bucks.

Pretty pleased about that...I'm sure it'd be more expensive in an area with a higher cost of living, though.

I'd considered the Tria laser myself, but Pansy Mae reported less than stellar results from it, so I decided against it.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon