Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

WARNING!

(06-02-2014, 10:03 AM)Khia Wrote:  you're not the only geeks here Wink
though I can't speak for my alleged sexiness.
I'm a software programmer myself ^.^

I'll be going back to lurking soon though, but I was just a little surprised to hear that a third choice for operating systems exist O.o

oh and my Linux distributions of choice are RHE and backtrack.
though I run windows currently Sad

When I look at you girls arguing about being techi !! Reminds me to the days where desktop computer ( used by airline for booking) had 5 boards , no processor ,1k core memmory , program loaded by papertape. Or 8 inch floppy . And there were no sandwich circuit boards or miniturised chips Smile and no operating system :p. And I used to repair that Smile fixing 1 bit of 1k memmory !! When I left the industry the floppy had gone to 3.5 inch doubble side doubble density ,1 meg ram , 32 bit processor . And land of atari home computers Smile

(06-02-2014, 10:20 AM)myboobs Wrote:  When I look at you girls arguing about being techi !! Reminds me to the days where desktop computer ( used by airline for booking) had 5 boards , no processor ,1k core memmory , program loaded by papertape. Or 8 inch floppy . And there were no sandwich circuit boards or miniturised chips Smile and no operating system :p. And I used to repair that Smile fixing 1 bit of 1k memmory !! When I left the industry the floppy had gone to 3.5 inch doubble side doubble density ,1 meg ram , 32 bit processor . And land of atari home computers Smile

See, it's this kind of thing that makes me think my youth is vastly over-rated.

I want to be old T-T

(06-02-2014, 11:47 AM)Khia Wrote:  
(06-02-2014, 10:20 AM)myboobs Wrote:  When I look at you girls arguing about being techi !! Reminds me to the days where desktop computer ( used by airline for booking) had 5 boards , no processor ,1k core memmory , program loaded by papertape. Or 8 inch floppy . And there were no sandwich circuit boards or miniturised chips Smile and no operating system :p. And I used to repair that Smile fixing 1 bit of 1k memmory !! When I left the industry the floppy had gone to 3.5 inch doubble side doubble density ,1 meg ram , 32 bit processor . And land of atari home computers Smile

See, it's this kind of thing that makes me think my youth is vastly over-rated.

I want to be old T-T

Sweetheart you are not a youg TIT either Smile

Ah, those were the days. I remember when the first personal computer store opened in Toronto (1976?) and I was pondering whether I dared spend $500 on an Altair kit with a front panel, a 2MHz 8080 processor board and 512 bytes of memory. In the end I built myself a 'TV typewriter' instead and then acquired a wife and ready made family so didn't buy my first computer until 1980, an OSI Superboard which was a real learning experience due to deplorable and misleading documentation and impossibly buggy software. Dodgy

(06-02-2014, 11:16 PM)AnnabelP Wrote:  

Ah, those were the days. I remember when the first personal computer store opened in Toronto (1976?) and I was pondering whether I dared spend $500 on an Altair kit with a front panel, a 2MHz 8080 processor board and 512 bytes of memory. In the end I built myself a 'TV typewriter' instead and then acquired a wife and ready made family so didn't buy my first computer until 1980, an OSI Superboard which was a real learning experience due to deplorable and misleading documentation and impossibly buggy software. Dodgy

I should have gone in software but I enjoy practical things I went into maintanace which also included elctro mechenical . But my real forte is selling so 25 yrs ago went into retail and to the day I can't seem to be bored of it Smile

The first computer I ever worked with was a DEC PDP-11/70 running RSX-11M as the OS. The photos will give you some idea what it looked like. To boot it you set the boot address using the switches on the front of the CPU, then turned the power on. It's hard drive was a 14" cartridge hard disk permanently mounted inside the racks. it had two additional removable 14" cartridge hard disks for data storage, further storage and backup was mag tape.

My first PC was an XT compatible, with an 8088 4.77MHz processor, 640k RAM, two 360k 5 1/4" floppy drives and an amber monochrome monitor. The OS was MS-DOS 3.1. I later upgraded this to a CGA video card and monitor. And added a 10 Meg hardcard and 300 baud modem. Its last OS was MS-DOS 6.22. I used that computer for 16 years. It finally died, the keyboard interface chip and finally the hardcard.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The programmer that I worked with definitely didn't look this good.

BigDave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-02-2014, 07:59 AM)s67bigdave Wrote:  The programmer that I worked with definitely didn't look this good.

BigDave

In last 25 yrs I had so many computers that I have forgotten Sad
I remeber dial up bodem Smile and If you wanted to connect to other pc you needed network software . Now MS does does it.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon