Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

FAQ-Aromatase for NBE

Do you think its useful to use evening primrose oil with a DHT inhibitor like white peony ?? or should I use EPO and then when I'm done with that, start a DHT inhibitor so my body isn't overwhelmed?

thanks xoxox

White peony is an aromatase. You can use both an aromatase and a reductase-inhibitor together. Perhaps it will cause a more synergistic effect. You always have to listen to your body and use precaution with doses. I'm not sure what EPO's properties are, but it does support women's hormones.

There are reductase-inhibitors (dht inhibitors) such as pygeum, and red reishi.

(24-09-2014, 03:29 AM)lovely11 Wrote:  Aromatase is way more useful than I thought. It kills two birds with one stone: reducing androgens which directly inhibit breast size, and it makes estrogens. One example is the effectiveness of aromatase to cause major gynecomastia. Aromatase-inhibitors do the opposite. LH, androgen, or dhea may not even be necessary. Many times, LH increases on its own based on feedback or everyday foods. I hypothesize that topical aromatases may be highly effective. I wonder if topical tea tree and lavender are aromatases.

5-alpha-reductase-inhibitors are useful for preventing testosterone conversion into the more inhibiting DHT. Aromatase reduces the amount of testosterone available to turn into DHT.

Liver health is very important, first of all for overall health, and secondly it uses the enzyme 16a-OHase to break down estradiol into the more bioavailable estriol. Does Milk thistle support this function?

Aromatase mostly takes care of estrogens. There are also progestogens and prolactin.

Ok Lovely, you've got me thinking, here's something to ponder: (a theoretical powerhouse aromatase formula, lol)........

Add oats to your program because it down-regulates SHBG and up-regulates free testosterone, then add an aromatase booster (WP), a 5 ar-inhibitor (PSO, reishi, etc), DHEA (low dose) to up-regulate hormones (btw, maca upregulates dhea).

This study makes makes me go off into the deep end, and now I'm on the curve. Rolleyes

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23416106
Interaction of Androst-5-ene-3β,17β-diol and 5α-androstane-3β,17β-diol with estrogen and androgen receptors: a combined binding and cell study.

Androst-5-ene-3β,17β-diol (ADIOL) and 5α-androstane-3β,17β-diol (3β-DIOL), metabolites of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and dihydrotestosterone (DHT), respectively, are known to possess estrogenic properties. To better understand their hormonal action and roles in the proliferation of breast cancer (BC) cells, we studied their binding to sex-hormone receptors in estrogen receptor (ER)-positive (ZR-75-1 and T-47D) and ER-negative (MDA-MB-231) human BC cells. The results demonstrated that estradiol (E2), ADIOL and 3β-DIOL stimulated the proliferation of ZR-75-1 and T-47D cells, but had no effect on ER-negative cells. In the presence of estradiol, ADIOL and 3β-DIOL inhibited the estrogen-stimulated BC cell growth. This inhibition was counteracted by anti-androgens, which were unable to affect the ADIOL and 3β-DIOL stimulatory effects in E2-free medium. On the other hand, in the presence of tamoxifen, ADIOL and 3β-DIOL showed an additional anti-proliferative activity on hormone-sensitive BC cells compared with tamoxifen treatment alone. These results are similar to previous reports obtained using MCF-7 cells, which confirmed that ADIOL and 3β-DIOL stimulated estrogen-dependent BC cell growth via ERs, but inhibited growth via androgen receptors (ARs). Several steroids bind to both ER and AR in a different preference and degree, i.e. E2>estrone (E1)>ADIOL>3β-DIOL>testosterone (T)>DHT for ER and DHT>T>3β-DIOL>ADIOL>E1>E2 for AR. The relative binding affinities of ADIOL, 3β-DIOL, and E2 corresponded well to their respective potential in stimulating cell proliferation of ZR-75-1 and T-47D cells in our results. The intrinsic relationship between cell proliferation effects and binding affinities for receptors of several steroids was revealed here by a combined binding and cell study. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'Synthesis and biological testing of steroid derivatives as inhibitors'.

Or even further:

Low-Dose DHEA Increases Androgen, Estrogen Levels in Menopause

Dec. 12, 2003 — Low-dose dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) administration increases adrenal hormone plasma levels in early and late menopause, according to results of a prospective case study published in the December issue of Fertility and Sterility.

"Although DHEA supplementation is not yet considered a medical treatment, this steroid has been demonstrated to induce specific metabolic effects and to increase both androgen and estrogen plasma levels in postmenopausal women," write Alessandro D. Genazzani, MD, PhD, and colleagues from the University of Modena in Italy.

The Italian team selected 20 healthy, postmenopausal patients, age 50 to 65 years, who were not using hormone replacements, for the 12-month prospective study. All patients received an ultrasound examination and a mammogram before the start of the study to exclude organic disease.

Dr. Genazzani and colleagues divided patients by age into two groups: early (aged 50-55 years, n = 10, group A) who were two to three years postmenopausal; and late (aged 60-65 years, n = 10, group B) who were five or more years postmenopausal. Five of the women were mild smokers.

All patients took 25 mg/day DHEA supplementation for 12 months. Every three months throughout the trial period, the investigators evaluated patients and drew blood samples to determine plasma levels of LH, FSH, E 2, DHEA, DHEAS, androstenedione (A), testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, progesterone, 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone (17-OHP), allopregnanolone, estrone (E1), sex-hormone binding globulin (SHBG), cortisol (F), beta-endorphin, growth hormone (GH), and insuline-like grown factor-1 (IGF-1).

Investigators also conducted a transvaginal ultrasound examination in each patient before and after 6 and 12 months of treatment to evaluate endometrial thickness. In addition, the researchers administered a Kupperman questionnaire to evaluate subjective vasomotor and psychological symptoms before and after 3, 6, and 12 months of therapy.

Younger postmenopausal subjects (group A) demonstrated higher levels of DHEA, DHEAS, testosterone, and beta-endorphin levels than older subjects ( P < .05). Significant changes in endocrine levels were observed with therapy. DHEA treatment eliminated endocrine differences observed between the two groups at baseline.

Testosterone and dihydrotestosterone plasma levels, and plasma E 1 and E 2 levels increased significantly and progressively in both groups. Investigators found no changes in SHBG concentrations in either group despite significant changes in A and E plasma concentrations. Allopregnanolone and beta-endorphin concentrations significantly increased in both groups.

Cortisol F plasma levels progressively decreased throughout the study. Both groups also experienced significantly reduced LH and FSH plasma levels. GH and IGF-1 levels significantly increased in both groups. Supplementation did not induce changes in endometrial thickness.

At baseline, group A had higher values for subjective vasomotor disturbances and psychological disturbances than group B, whereas the latter had a higher score for psychological variables. Scores significantly improved in both groups during therapy.

"The present study demonstrates the efficacy of low-dose DHEA administration of endocrine and psychoneuroendocrine parameters in early and late menopause and confirms that a low-dose DHEA supplementation increases adrenal androgens plasma levels (mainly DHEA and DHEAS), which are significantly impaired during menopause," Dr. Genazzani and colleagues write.

"These data support and confirm that DHEA must be considered a valid compound and drug for [hormone therapy] in postmenopausal women and not just a 'dietary supplement,' " they add.

Fertil Steril. 2003;80:1495-1501

(24-09-2014, 03:29 AM)lovely11 Wrote:  Many times, LH increases on its own based on feedback or everyday foods. I hypothesize that topical aromatases may be highly effective. I wonder if topical tea tree and lavender are aromatases.

Hmm, good question and point, applying Borage oil could work too, tea tree was listed in a study if I remeber, they reported Gyno in young men (or boys?). lavender sounds promising.

(24-09-2014, 03:29 AM)lovely11 Wrote:  Liver health is very important, first of all for overall health, and secondly it uses the enzyme 16a-OHase to break down estradiol into the more bioavailable estriol. Does Milk thistle support this function?

Aromatase mostly takes care of estrogens. There are also progestogens and prolactin.

Agreed, liver health and NBE ultimately go hand in....well, you know what I mean. I'm sure you've heard about E getting absorbed back into the system before elimination and possibly causing toxic and unwanted effects. Milk Thistle and Dandelion root help with healthy E metabolism.
Comparative Measurements of Serum Estriol, Estradiol, and Estrone in Non-pregnant, Premenopausal Women: A Preliminary Investigation

http://www.anaturalhealingcenter.com/doc...trogen.pdf

(24-09-2014, 05:03 AM)Lotus Wrote:  Ok Lovely, you've got me thinking, here's something to ponder: (a theoretical powerhouse aromatase formula, lol)........

Add oats to your program because it down-regulates SHBG and up-regulates free testosterone, then add an aromatase booster (WP), a 5 ar-inhibitor (PSO, reishi, etc), DHEA (low dose) to up-regulate hormones (btw, maca upregulates dhea).

This study makes makes me go off into the deep end, and now I'm on the curve. Rolleyes

Interaction of Androst-5-ene-3β,17β-diol and 5α-androstane-3β,17β-diol with estrogen and androgen receptors: a combined binding and cell study.

That formula is good with the idea of maca and oats. I was proposing using estriol converstion by using milk thistle to possibly help the liver convert estradiol into estriol. The liver enzyme 16alpha-OHase is important. Estriol is safer than estradiol, and it's more bioavailable.

That study says those andro compound metabolites reduce cancer. This is good, and 16alpha-OHase, helps the conversion of DHEA into other compounds, all the way to estriol. 16alpha-OHase even converts estradiol and estrone directly into estriol. There are many pathways that involve 16alpha-OHase to estriol.

(24-09-2014, 05:03 AM)Lotus Wrote:  [Low-Dose DHEA Increases Androgen, Estrogen Levels in Menopause' - Fertil Steril. 2003;80:1495-1501]

'"Although DHEA supplementation is not yet considered a medical treatment, this steroid has been demonstrated to induce specific metabolic effects and to increase both androgen and estrogen plasma levels in postmenopausal women," write Alessandro D. Genazzani, MD, PhD, and colleagues from the University of Modena in Italy.
All patients took 25 mg/day DHEA supplementation for 12 months. Every three months throughout the trial period, the investigators evaluated patients and drew blood samples to determine plasma levels of LH, FSH, E 2, DHEA, DHEAS, androstenedione (A), testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, progesterone, 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone (17-OHP), allopregnanolone, estrone (E1), sex-hormone binding globulin (SHBG), cortisol (F), beta-endorphin, growth hormone (GH), and insuline-like grown factor-1 (IGF-1).
Testosterone and dihydrotestosterone plasma levels, and plasma E 1 and E 2 levels increased significantly and progressively in both groups. Investigators found no changes in SHBG concentrations in either group despite significant changes in A and E plasma concentrations. Allopregnanolone and beta-endorphin concentrations significantly increased in both groups.
Cortisol F plasma levels progressively decreased throughout the study. Both groups also experienced significantly reduced LH and FSH plasma levels. GH and IGF-1 levels significantly increased in both groups. Supplementation did not induce changes in endometrial thickness.
Scores significantly improved in both groups during therapy.
"The present study demonstrates the efficacy of low-dose DHEA administration of endocrine and psychoneuroendocrine parameters in early and late menopause and confirms that a low-dose DHEA supplementation increases adrenal androgens plasma levels (mainly DHEA and DHEAS), which are significantly impaired during menopause," Dr. Genazzani and colleagues write.
"These data support and confirm that DHEA must be considered a valid compound and drug for [hormone therapy] in postmenopausal women and not just a 'dietary supplement,' " they add.'

Trimmed down to important parts of the study,

(24-09-2014, 05:03 AM)Lotus Wrote:  applying Borage oil could work too, tea tree was listed in a study if I remember, they reported Gyno in young men (or boys?). lavender sounds promising.

Tea tree and lavender are both implicated in gynecomastia. Here is the thread with important links http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=21618 'Lavender and Tea tree oil for external use only ' to prove it.

I think tea tree, lavender or aromatases are useful applied topically. Think about it, let aromatase conversion reduce androgens near the skin next to breast tissue. I'm unsure if lavender or tea tree are aromatases, but there is evidence that they function well topically.

(24-09-2014, 03:29 AM)lovely11 Wrote:  Liver health is very important, first of all for overall health, and secondly it uses the enzyme 16a-OHase to break down estradiol into the more bioavailable estriol. Does Milk thistle support this function?

(24-09-2014, 05:03 AM)Lotus Wrote:  Agreed, liver health and NBE ultimately go hand in....well, you know what I mean. I'm sure you've heard about E getting absorbed back into the system before elimination and possibly causing toxic and unwanted effects. Milk Thistle and Dandelion root help with healthy E metabolism.
Comparative Measurements of Serum Estriol, Estradiol, and Estrone in Non-pregnant, Premenopausal Women: A Preliminary Investigation

http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/3/2/101.pdf 'Estriol: Safety and Efficacy' (repost) This paper is very important. It has a chart that shows the pathways and enzymes, that go from DHEA, Androstenedione, estradiol, esterone to estriol. 16alpha-OHase, a liver enzyme, is in many paths. The paper also says estriol has less risk of cancer than estradiol. You once wrote that estradiol had a problem with binding to SHBG, and estriol doesn't bind as much to SHBG. Even if estriol is less potent than estradiol, it is more bioavailable. I was proposing using milk thistle to help the liver, and to help it convert estradiol into estriol. Your proposed formula is very good, but I suggest adding 16alpha-OHase or a liver protector to that plan. I think estriol is better for NBE than estradiol.

I just had an eureka moment. You know that progesterone and prolactin both lower estradiol. What If these two hormones help break down estradiol into estriol? Progesterone, and prolactin also cause gains on their own.

(24-09-2014, 11:59 AM)lovely11 Wrote:  
(24-09-2014, 05:03 AM)Lotus Wrote:  Ok Lovely, you've got me thinking, here's something to ponder: (a theoretical powerhouse aromatase formula, lol)........

That formula is good with the idea of maca and oats. I was proposing using estriol converstion by using milk thistle to possibly help the liver convert estradiol into estriol. The liver enzyme 16alpha-OHase is important. Estriol is safer than estradiol, and it's more bioavailable.

That study says those andro compound metabolites reduce cancer. This is good, and 16alpha-OHase, helps the conversion of DHEA into other compounds, all the way to estriol. 16alpha-OHase even converts estradiol and estrone directly into estriol. There are many pathways that involve 16alpha-OHase to estriol.

(24-09-2014, 05:03 AM)Lotus Wrote:  [Low-Dose DHEA Increases Androgen, Estrogen Levels in Menopause' - Fertil Steril. 2003;80:1495-1501]

'"Although DHEA supplementation is not yet considered a medical treatment, this steroid has been demonstrated to induce specific metabolic effects and to increase both androgen and estrogen plasma levels in postmenopausal women," write Alessandro D. Genazzani, MD, PhD, and colleagues from the University of Modena in Italy.
Scores significantly improved in both groups during therapy.
"These data support and confirm that DHEA must be considered a valid compound and drug for [hormone therapy] in postmenopausal women and not just a 'dietary supplement,' " they add.'

Trimmed down to important parts of the study,

(24-09-2014, 05:03 AM)Lotus Wrote:  applying Borage oil could work too, tea tree was listed in a study if I remember, they reported Gyno in young men (or boys?). lavender sounds promising.

Tea tree and lavender are both implicated in gynecomastia. Here is the thread with important links http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=21618 'Lavender and Tea tree oil for external use only ' to prove it.

I think tea tree, lavender or aromatases are useful applied topically. Think about it, let aromatase conversion reduce androgens near the skin next to breast tissue. I'm unsure if lavender or tea tree are aromatases, but there is evidence that they function well topically.

(24-09-2014, 05:03 AM)Lotus Wrote:  Agreed, liver health and NBE ultimately go hand in....well, you know what I mean. I'm sure you've heard about E getting absorbed back into the system before elimination and possibly causing toxic and unwanted effects. Milk Thistle and Dandelion root help with healthy E metabolism.

http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/3/2/101.pdf 'Estriol: Safety and Efficacy' (repost) This paper is very important. It has a chart that shows the pathways and enzymes, that go from DHEA, Androstenedione, estradiol, esterone to estriol. 16alpha-OHase, a liver enzyme, is in many paths. The paper also says estriol has less risk of cancer than estradiol. You once wrote that estradiol had a problem with binding to SHBG, and estriol doesn't bind as much to SHBG. Even if estriol is less potent than estradiol, it is more bioavailable. I was proposing using milk thistle to help the liver, and to help it convert estradiol into estriol. Your proposed formula is very good, but I suggest adding 16alpha-OHase or a liver protector to that plan. I think estriol is better for NBE than estradiol.

I just had an eureka moment. You know that progesterone and prolactin both lower estradiol. What If these two hormones help break down estradiol into estriol? Progesterone, and prolactin also cause gains on their own.

Yes I would agree, slowing E2 to E1 will (should) be healthier in the long run. Good E moment Smile

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8084]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(26-09-2014, 01:56 AM)Lotus Wrote:  Yes I would agree, slowing E2 to E1 will (should) be healthier in the long run. Good E moment Smile

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8084]

Thanks for posting the chart, which I was trying to show its importance. It would indirectly and in a small way slow E2 into E1 conversion, by converting E2 (and E1) into E3 instead.

The point I was trying to make is that Estriol (E3) can be used for NBE, and it is the safest of those 3 estrogens. E1 is the most carginogenic, and E2 can exaggerate cancer. Even though E3 is weaker than E2, it is more bioavailable, perhaps making it more effective for NBE than E2. E3 can also be made from DHEA bypassing testosterone, androstenedione, estradiol, and estrone. If you look at the chart, aromatase and the liver enzyme 16alpha-Ohase together are important for E3 synthesis, no matter which pathway is taken. Progesterone and prolactin lower estradiol, and my theory is perhaps this estradiol is converted into useful E3 by this means. Prolactin, progesterone, and E3 together directly cause NBE on their own, plus the three are compatible with each other.

Estrone (E1)
Estradiol (E2)
Estriol (E3)
Dehydropiandrosterone (DHEA)

Breakdown of hormones and phytohormones into other compounds by the liver is actually usually not a problem, since many metabolites are also effective in NBE.

Metabolites of estradiol are E3, 16alpha-OHE1, 2-OHE2, E1, and two unidentified composition.- Determination of estradiol metabolites in human liver microsome by high performance liquid chromatography-electrochemistry detector.

Some metabolites of E2 are claimed to be carcinogenic, but E3 is a lot safer than estradiol.

This is a very educational thread!

I'm wondering if white peony may be used as pro-aromatase while on BO?

White peony is an aromatase, so it can be described as pro-aromatase.

There isn't much literature on bovine ovary for supplement use. Bovine ovary would probably be a small part of like what's in hamburger meat, if not, then pet food. I think most animal extracts aren't sustainable to be taken as supplements, unless its part of normal food, as it sometimes creates a rush for exotic species. Whey protein powder or eggs are sustainable; probably fish oil too.

(27-09-2014, 06:28 AM)Koko Wrote:  This is a very educational thread!

I'm wondering if white peony may be used as pro-aromatase while on BO?

Thanks Koko, it can be a difficult read, but I think we've had some valuable contributions (lovely for sure), I've stated this before about trying to follow the difficult material, "raise a hand", flag or throw up a smoke signal, meaning " hey stop!!, please explain this, will it help me?.

BO is supposed to aromatize all by itself, adding WP?, hmm, sounds interesting. I can't think of any conflict as of yet combing the two. That's not to say one doesn't exist (pharmacology wise). It could work in theory though, (as a booster).

Lovely, I understand what your point was, I'd be interested in hearing more about. I'm posting this info so our BN members can follow along as to where we're going with this. It does bring up some interesting points about E1, as to what I was referring too,

ESTROGENS: E1, E2, E3

Estrogen is a general term used to describe one of the hormones produced in a woman’s body. Estrogens are normally produced by the ovaries from puberty through menopause. When one hears the term “estrogen” in medical dialogue, it is used to define both the natural and synthetic manufactured hormones. Primarily there are three forms of estrogen, lesser variations and sub-variations found in the woman’s body through the reproductive years. The first of these estrogens is E1 (Estrone), a “weak” estrogen produced by the ovaries and fat tissue. It is also converted from other hormones and external environment precursors. E2 (Estradiol) is the most active estrogen produced by the ovaries before menopause. E3 (Estriol) is the weakest of the three forms of estrogen and is made in the body from other estrogen. The amounts of the differing estrogens in the body vary not only over the course of the menstrual cycle, but over the years of reproductive life.

After menopause, E1 (Estrone) becomes the predominantly produced estrogen in women’s bodies from secondary hormone productive sites, even though the ovaries continue to produce small amounts of E2 (Estradiol). The adrenal glands continue to produce androstenedione which can be converted to E1 (Estrone) and E2 (Estradiol) by body fat, the muscles, and skin cells. The ovaries may continue making small amounts of T2 (Testosterone) which can also be converted to E2 (Estradiol.)

Estrogens exert powerful influence in a woman’s body, including the development of her reproductive capabilities, bone formation, overall cardiovascular health, and what most people judge empirically as “feminine” characteristics. Estrogens are dispersed in the body through the blood stream and travel to the tissue to seek out estrogen receptors. Estrogen receptors are found in the brain, breasts, heart, blood vessels, uterus, vagina, bladder, liver, bones, skin and gastrointestinal tract. Estrogen binds to these estrogen receptors, and this binding determines the effects that vary from one body part to another.

However, not all parts of the body have estrogen receptors and not all estrogen receptors are alike. For example, estrogen receptors in bone tissue do not react to estrogen the same as estrogen receptors in breast tissue. Environmental factors also influence the differing effects the receptors have in different parts of the body, but there is limited knowledge of these factors and their results. Since estrogen plays such an important role in numerous body tissues and their functions in a woman‘s body, the results of lower estrogen levels can manifest themselves in negative ways. Significant estrogen loss can lead to some, a few or all of the following results: the end of menses, hot flashes, night-sweats, disturbed sleep, vaginal dryness, loss of vaginal tissue elasticity, loss of sexual desire and arousal, urinary tract infections, incontinence, change in mood, depression, cognitive problems, breast changes, skin changes, bone loss (osteoporosis), and an increase in cholesterol levels. This is simply to name a few possibilities.

t has been an accepted view that because a woman’s body has had a percentage of these major estrogens at different stages throughout her fertile life, this represents a model to return to at the onset of menopausal symptoms. This is the adage “just return to those similar levels, and the body would be perfectly normal, again.” There arises a more fundamental problem with this line of thinking: the notion that all estrogens must be supplemented. A better approach to hormone replacement therapy is achieved by understanding the nature of each estrogen, and the role it plays in the functioning of the body. This understanding, coupled with blood level readings (as ordered by a physician) of a woman’s individual levels, can aid in deciding which estrogen(s) to provide to the body through hormone replacement therapy.

What are the different types of Estrogens?

There are three primary estrogens produced by the female through her fertile years. E2 (Estradiol) is the major estrogen produced by ovaries and is the “strongest” (the most effective for the least quantity dose) form. E2 (Estradiol) is instrumental in over 400 functions in the female body. The depletion of E2 (Estradiol) in the middle years helps to explain why the body goes through such dramatic changes. E2 (Estradiol) replacement may be very effective for the symptomatic relief of hot flashes, genitourinary symptoms, osteoporosis prophylaxis, psychological well-being and reduction of coronary artery disease. E1 (Estrone) is the “weakest” estrogen that is capable of a full range of estrogen effects, because it is the one that actually binds in high levels with the estrogen receptors. Actually, it binds to estrogen breast receptors by a ratio of five to one, versus the E2 (Estradiol) binding ratio of one to one.

In addition to having been made in non-menopausal women, E1 (Estrone) also can be produced by conversion from a number of precursors from the adrenal glands. However, this conversion cannot solely be relied on to produce a specific estrogen, because certain nutrients, at specific levels (and other factors,) have to be present to determine the metabolite that is produced. When the ovaries begin to fail, the circulating E2 (Estradiol) levels drop. This drop in the E2 (Estradiol) level is what the physician often measures as a serum E2 (Estradiol) concentration test to determine estrogen levels. Ruling out other causes or diseases, the drop in estrogen level may yield the detection of ovarian failure, or in other words “early menopause.”

Because hormone levels can and do fluctuate, it becomes difficult for the practitioner to issue a foolproof diagnosis of menopause. Other external factors that can cause a drop in E2 (Estradiol) level include excessive exercise, low body fat, or diminished ovarian reserves. Other bench mark hormone levels are needed to further aid the physician to rule for certainty whether the patient is experiencing post-menopause, perimenopause, pre-menopause, or possibly diseases of the endocrine glands.

Some physicians recommend the saliva testing to measure hormone levels. This is not as frequently used as blood testing, but advocates claim that it is quicker, less expensive and reliable. Unlike the blood test, the saliva method tests the levels of “free hormones” in the body. That is, the hormones that aren’t bound to protein, but instead are able to move into cells. Because about 95% or more of the blood level hormones are protein bound, the saliva test measures only the remaining 1-5%. The results from saliva testing may be markedly lower than those which could be detected from blood test results.

uring the first 2-5 years of menopause, blood levels of E2 (Estradiol) drops to an average of about 25-35pg/ml. This drop continues yearly to often below 25pg/ml. Therefore, blood levels of E2 (Estradiol) below 36pg/ml is considered post-menopause, but some women with levels 40- 50pg/ml may still be having a period. They also can be experiencing symptoms of low E2 (Estradiol.) Since hormone levels can and do fluctuate, remember that the blood test or any test for hormone levels will be far from foolproof. The wisest choice would be to submit to being tested more than once.

Other endocrine glands also produce different hormones that have profound effects on the ovaries. It is beyond the scope of this text to discuss the many pituitaries, thyroid hormonal secretions and their effects on the ovaries and hormonal balance. However, it should be pointed out that elevation of the hormone FSH (Follicle) and LH (Luteal) hormones during and after menopause are thought to be responsible for the “hot flashes”. Laboratory reference ranges are for FSH, during the follicular phase is 19 -144ng/ml and LH, during the luteal phase is 55- 214ng/ml.

E1 (Estrone) is considered a weaker form of estrogen. It is typically produced by special belly fat cells, and is a major estrogenic form found in naturally menopausal women. It is most commonly found in increased amounts in post-menopausal women. The body derives it from the hormones that are stored in the body fat. E1 (Estrone) may do the same work that E2 (Estradiol) does, but it is considered weaker in its effects. E1 (Estrone) is not directly active in tissue, but can be readily converted by most women to E2 (Estradiol) for actual use, because it is considered to be an E2 (Estradiol) precursor. The conversion can go both ways, though meaning that E1 (Estrone) can also be considered a breakdown or even a storage form of estrogen. It is sometimes considered “safer” than E2 (Estradiol) by virtue of its weakness, but since large quantities and high doses are required to get the same effect as a smaller quantity of E2 (Estradiol), other experts consider it no more or less safe than E2 (Estradiol). Some experts suspect that E1 (Estrone) may be responsible for the higher risk of breast and endometrial cancer, due to a high receptor binding rate and production in women who are obese.

E3 (Estriol) is the weakest of the three major estrogens. In fact, it is 1,000 times weaker in its effect on tissue than other estrogens. E3 (Estriol) is a metabolic waste product of E2 (Estradiol) metabolism or produced by conversion from the progesterone concentration during pregnancy. E3 (Estriol) usually is the culprit for morning sickness during pregnancy. However, it can still have some effects on a limited number of estrogen receptors. It is formed in the liver and is 8% as potent as E2 (Estradiol) and 14% as potent as E1 (Estrone). Once E3 (Estriol) is bound to an estrogen receptor, it blocks the stronger E2 (Estradiol) from acting there. Therefore, it is considered to have both estrogenic and anti-estrogenic actions. There is also some evidence that because it is so weak and blocks the stronger forms, E3 (Estriol) can be considered to have effects comparable to E2 (Estradiol) in regard to occupying as many receptors as a “need share level” of E2 (Estradiol). Yet the risk rises to the same level with E3 (Estriol), when compared to the other estrogens. One of the metabolic products of elevated E3 (Estriol) is associated with an increased risk of developing breast and cervical cancer. At other times, E3 (Estriol) can be implicated as a source of interference in lab tests for E2 (Estradiol,) as it may lead to clinical testing error.

Please note, that E3 (Estriol) is not FDA approved and pharmacies have been notified to stop using it, although it has been used widely in Europe for 50 years. Therefore, E3 (Estriol) is not going to be an effective component of hormone replacement therapy because it is not a convertible contributor to E2 (Estradiol).

http://www.rxcompoundcentre.com/DynamicD...trogen.pdf

It looks like those words are quoted from the link. Can you summarize important points of texts, next time.

See this thread, Serum Estriol and Estetrol and Estriol: Safety and Efficacy

Your post shown has the claim that estriol is 1000 times less potent on tissue than estradiol, then it says its 8% as strong. Wikipedia says, which is still unverified that estriol is 80 times less potent than estradiol. The two claims on potency are close, except the effects on tissue. An explanation for this could be how a hormone can respond weaker to one receptor or subtype while stronger to another. Estriol has less affinity for binding. Let's say estriol hardly binds to SHBG, and it is 1000 times less potent, and there is more of it in the blood stream, that already means estriol has a strong effect. even more so it it is 8% as strong as estriol.

The paper differs in that this one from '98 says, estriol has been prescribed, and the conflicting paper says they stopped prescribing it in the US. The body produces estriol, so a prescription isn't needed. I think its irrelevant if estriol doesn't convert into estradiol, the paper makes an assumption that estriol isn't very useful because of that.

Over 80% of estradiol is bound to SHBG. Your post claims that "about 95% or more of the blood level hormones are protein bound." It doesn't specify which hormone, but that doesn't conflict with the other statement.

Estriol is safer than estradiol, in terms of cancer. Estriol, and estradiol break down into other compounds, one of which may be a carcinogen. Estriol can also be eliminated through fiber in the intestines. I think Estriol coexists with progesterone and prolactin, all three which directly are useful for NBE. Also, since Estriol is high during pregnancy, there is no risk to the fetus from it, in fact the fetus produces estriol, from conversion from estradiol. The body produces estriol already, but a fetus does this to remove the estradiol that threatens it. Estrone is the most carcinogenic, and converting estrone to estriol is good.

Birth control pills are given with both estrogens and progestogens to reduce incidences of cancer. Perhaps it is best to increase both estrogens and progestogens together, and this takes care of a lot. As prolactin increases progestogens, these two lower estradiol. Perhaps this estradiol is converted into estriol. I'm theorizing this causes a triple effect from increasing prolactin to aid in progesterone and estriol production, which all three cause NBE.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon