Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

FAQ-Aromatase for NBE

Aromatase
  • There's an enzyme in the bodies of both men and women called aromatase. Its primary action is to produce female sex hormones, or estrogens. It produces them from male sex hormones (androgens) such as testosterone and their precursors.
  • Aromatase also converts androstenedione (a sex hormone precursor) to the female hormone estrone, another estrogen, although weaker than estradiol.
  • If you increase the activity of aromatase, you can increase levels of female sex hormones (estradiol, estrone).
  • If you decrease the activity of aromatase, you can decrease levels of female sex hormones, while increasing relative levels of male sex hormones, e.g. testosterone.
  • Men's bodies normally contain some level of estrogens, in addition to testosterone and their kind. Likewise, women's bodies contain some level of male androgens including testosterone.
  • The ratio of male-to-female hormones contributes to our masculinity or femininity. Aromatase is one chemical that can tweak that ratio. It operates the same in both men and women, although an array of compounds can affect its activity.

Testosterone-has two metabolites that pose potential problems for aging males and also for bodybuilders and athletes. One is estradiol (testosterone is converted to estradiol by the enzyme aromatase) and the other is dihydrotestosterone (DHT) (testosterone is converted to DHT by the enzyme 5-alpha reductase). As men age, there is a dramatic decrease in testosterone production, but without a corresponding decrease in the production of estradiol and DHT. Even though testosterone levels have plummeted, the aromatization of testosterone to estradiol is maintained, or even accelerated, and more testosterone is also being aromatized in fatty tissues. This creates excess levels of estradiol and, as a consequence, a blood level ratio of testosterone to estradiol that continues to decline, tipping the scale in balance of an estradiol-dominant environment.

I had been concerned that since my T was so low the would be none to use for aromatase, but, and, correct me if I am wrong, Lotus, since I am supplementing with both PM and syn estradiol, the level of T and consequently of aromatase becomes irrelevent. Is that right?

(08-03-2014, 07:35 PM)Samantha Rogers Wrote:  I had been concerned that since my T was so low the would be none to use for aromatase, but, and, correct me if I am wrong, Lotus, since I am supplementing with both PM and syn estradiol, the level of T and consequently of aromatase becomes irrelevent. Is that right?

Definitely a new conundrum, at least for here right?, I mean the real E vs imitator E, lol.

I'm sure you'll get to the point where you can tell which one is more effective than the other. Low dose E vs higher dose PM, or it's a new hybrid or another co-activator. And then throw in the P450 enzyme system and the aromatase formula goes out the window because it's unknown at that point.

I'll be thinking about this for awhile, lol

Thanks Sammie Rolleyes

The question is or should be is how have you felt so far?

I take a prescription progesterone daily and my estradiol runs in the mid range for makes, while my T runs on the lower mid range. Any tips for maintaining a healthy balance as I begin taking PM?

(24-04-2014, 02:00 AM)kimdl93 Wrote:  I take a prescription progesterone daily and my estradiol runs in the mid range for makes, while my T runs on the lower mid range. Any tips for maintaining a healthy balance as I begin taking PM?

Hi kimdl,

Progesterone (cream or prescription) is recommended to counterbalance or offset your E. Can you provide some more background please, i.e. Daily program, how long on NBE, ballpark age. Blush

Sorry, just helps to know what your goals are!, I think your wanting to know how to balance taking PM and progesterone correct?, or all three?

Smile

(24-04-2014, 02:00 AM)kimdl93 Wrote:  I take a prescription progesterone daily

Most of what I've gathered indicates that progesterone shouldn't be taken every day; that it will hamper progress if you do. It's more to be used cyclically, such as one week out of a month.

That was even before I discovered this forum. The research now seems to suggest that progesterone only be added if one is reaching an estrogen-dominant condition.

Who knows? We're still pioneering a bit here! Wink

(24-04-2014, 05:39 PM)MissC Wrote:  
(24-04-2014, 02:00 AM)kimdl93 Wrote:  I take a prescription progesterone daily

Most of what I've gathered indicates that progesterone shouldn't be taken every day; that it will hamper progress if you do. It's more to be used cyclically, such as one week out of a month.

That was even before I discovered this forum. The research now seems to suggest that progesterone only be added if one is reaching an estrogen-dominant condition.

Who knows? We're still pioneering a bit here! Wink

Estrogen dominance can reduce receptor sensitivity, which can be corrected by adding progesterone. PC is also a strong DHT blocker, however caution should be advised, too much can produce aggression.

I've posted numerous research studies concerning progesterone, all of which anyone can educate themselves on, and about daily progesterone usage too. It may take a month or so to overcome the negative side effects, but that's true about anything we take for NBE these days.

As you say we're pioneering, which I can't argue (as much as would like too). Rolleyes

Aromatase on my mind lol, here's some foods that can boost or inhibit Aromatase:

Foods that inhibit aromatase include blueberries, celery, sour cherries, cranberries, red grapes, purple grape juice, horseradish, kale, tomatoes, white button mushrooms and cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts

Aromatase Boosters
soy protein isolate, sunflower oil, soybean oil, corn oil and alcohol.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/445623...aromatase/

Side effects of aromatase inhibitors
Aromatase inhibitors tend to cause fewer serious side effects than tamoxifen, such as blood clots, stroke, and endometrial cancer. But aromatase inhibitors can cause more heart problems, more bone loss (osteoporosis), and more broken bones than tamoxifen, at least for the first few years of treatment. If you and your doctor are considering an aromatase inhibitor as part of your treatment plan, you may want to ask your doctor about having a bone density test to see if a bone strengthening medicine might be necessary while you're taking the aromatase inhibitor.
http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/ho...inhibitors

(14-05-2014, 05:34 PM)Lotus Wrote:  Aromatase on my mind lol, here's some foods that can boost or inhibit Aromatase:

Foods that inhibit aromatase include blueberries, celery, sour cherries, cranberries, red grapes, purple grape juice, horseradish, kale, tomatoes, white button mushrooms and cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts

Aromatase Boosters
soy protein isolate, sunflower oil, soybean oil, corn oil and alcohol.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/445623...aromatase/

Side effects of aromatase inhibitors
Aromatase inhibitors tend to cause fewer serious side effects than tamoxifen, such as blood clots, stroke, and endometrial cancer. But aromatase inhibitors can cause more heart problems, more bone loss (osteoporosis), and more broken bones than tamoxifen, at least for the first few years of treatment. If you and your doctor are considering an aromatase inhibitor as part of your treatment plan, you may want to ask your doctor about having a bone density test to see if a bone strengthening medicine might be necessary while you're taking the aromatase inhibitor.
http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/ho...inhibitors

This is was posted in the herbal section, thought that it would be useful here too.

(16-05-2014, 11:41 PM)Lotus Wrote:  Anti-Estrogen Diet for Men: Foods for Lowering Levels
Written by Jennifer Gerics | Medically Reviewed on April 14, 2014 by George Krucik, MD, MBA
http://www.healthline.com/health-slidesh...n-diet-men

I've recently noticed that aromatase may be good for male breast growth. For females high levels of estrogen are best during the transition phase from follicular to luteal phase. During the luteal phase, high levels of estrogen are not compatible with progesterone and prolactin's growth effects.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon