Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Sizes make me crazy.

Women clothing manufactures like to mess with their heads. My wife was a size 6 at Anne Taylor for years. We moved to Europe for a year and when we returned she was a size 4. We also noticed that a new size was added; size 00.

Our hypothesis was that as Americans continue to be Super-Sized they just changed the labels. That way when the woman who was a size 8 stays a size 8 in the next season instead of going up to a 10. she is happier and buys more clothes (while at the store).

Men on the other hand shop by inches. Your waist size is your waist size. But I noticed that my T-shirts have gotten smaller. I used to be a large, but now I am a medium (women's large for camis) and I think it is because the IN style is for extra baggy, loose fitting clothes.

(20-02-2014, 07:29 AM)SarahSchilling Wrote:  Personally, I'm not afraid...I've bought quite a few things in brick and mortar stores. Tops,miniskirts, pantyhose, makeup.....whatever. I honestly kinda miss when it made me nervous to do so. Was a nice little thrill. I realize I don't speak for everyone, though.

Everything is just way cheaper online, that's all. I do need to hit a thrift store sometime soon though.

I have bought quite a bit from Macy's and more recently Target over the years. Heck, you can't try it on there but at the check out they don't know if the stuff is for you or a gift your your mother, wife, girlfriend, etc. and at minimum wage probably could care less any ways. And if it doesn't fit they have good return policies with receipt.

(20-02-2014, 10:12 PM)Jessica Leigh Wrote:  Women clothing manufactures like to mess with their heads. My wife was a size 6 at Anne Taylor for years. We moved to Europe for a year and when we returned she was a size 4. We also noticed that a new size was added; size 00.

Our hypothesis was that as Americans continue to be Super-Sized they just changed the labels. That way when the woman who was a size 8 stays a size 8 in the next season instead of going up to a 10. she is happier and buys more clothes (while at the store).

Men on the other hand shop by inches. Your waist size is your waist size. But I noticed that my T-shirts have gotten smaller. I used to be a large, but now I am a medium (women's large for camis) and I think it is because the IN style is for extra baggy, loose fitting clothes.

Yeah, I had read something like that somewhere. What a racket.Tongue

Actually, I've run into them playing games with even the waist size of men's jeans. I was curious recently, and measured the waist of my men's jeans, just basic jeans, and the waist was 2" larger than what it allegedly was.

I buy from any of Ebay, charity shops and department stores. I have been mostly lucky although I will re-donate a top back to the charity shop as the tag said size 16 but felt more like a 12.

I mostly purchase from Matalan as their choice and sizing are fabulous. The female staff know me there now and always say hello and offer help. They know my purchases are for me as I disclosed my CD'ing early on, no shame ..he he!
They have changing rooms and I make use of these too Wink

My online purchases tend to be underwear or jewellery items that have particularly attracted me and are less risky.

Love
Heather

ugh, don't get me started on sizes, i've been trying to find some particular style fem clothes (Reasonably/Discount priced, can't justify the full price for occasional private only use) for a while now that I cant seem to find in the right size...Sad

every time I find any that "seem" to be the right size, they are so far off in measurements from what they "should be" that it is crazy.

So being out to my wife was a plus today. I asked her about sizing and she gave me a tip. She said the more expensive the dress/designer, the smaller the size. By that she meant is you are say a 12 in a standard size but buy a dress that is cheap you may need a 14, whereas if you go high end you may fit a 10 or even an 8.
The charts say I am a 12. The dresses I wore in the photos were some Ralph Lauren pieces I picked up at Marshalls on sale. They were a 10 and an 8 and both fit which, subjectively at least, supports what my wife said.
Maybe there is some logic at work here...Rolleyes

(22-02-2014, 07:46 PM)Samantha Rogers Wrote:  So being out to my wife was a plus today. I asked her about sizing and she gave me a tip. She said the more expensive the dress/designer, the smaller the size. By that she meant is you are say a 12 in a standard size but buy a dress that is cheap you may need a 14, whereas if you go high end you may fit a 10 or even an 8.
The charts say I am a 12. The dresses I wore in the photos were some Ralph Lauren pieces I picked up at Marshalls on sale. They were a 10 and an 8 and both fit which, subjectively at least, supports what my wife said.
Maybe there is some logic at work here...Rolleyes

Thanks, i'll try that.

From a biological woman(sorry I just had to chime in because women's sizing is the worst) I can tell you that literally no number matters. Not what they say you should be, not what you think you should be, not anything. You have to try on everything. That's why women usually say I'm a 2/4 or a 14/16 because you literally can't be definite across the board. Don't ask me why but women don't get a universal measurement like men do, we just get numbers and guessing games. Stick to a few brands that you like more than others and it makes the guesswork easier because you get used to their sizing, so you only need to change when the specific garment might run a little funny. I love H&M because for the most part they actually use numbers for both mens and womens clothing. Pretty much all of my clothes is from there and I get compliments a lot. I hope that helps a bit. But yes, women's sizes are the flipping worst ):

Thanks, JillyBean! It helps to get input from someone who knows.Smile
By the way... I love HM too. I have a lot of stuff from there... and from both sides of the store, tee hee.Tongue

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon