Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

FAQ-What vitamins affect Testosterone

Testosterone, and how some vitamins affect it.

• Zinc-deficiency lowers testosterone levels, inhibits prolactin secretion (testosterone inhibiting hormone). Supplementing increases baseline levels. 28,29,30,31

• Magnesium- makes testosterone more biologically active in the body, raises free and total testosterone levels in men..25,26,27

• Carnitine Boosts dopamine, which is directly related to testosterone levels; May prevent testosterone decline after intense physical stress.21,22,23,24

• Folate Deficiency reduces circulating testosterone; Evidence suggests testosterone may regulate folate metabolism.1,2,3

• Vitamin B6 Regulates sex hormones; Vitamin B6 reduces prolactin which stimulates hypothalamus to increase testosterone; B6 also a cofactor for dopamine synthesis which influences testosterone levels.4,5,6,7

• Vitamin K Deficiency reduces testosterone production because the rate-limiting enzyme for testosterone synthesis (Cyp11a) is vitamin K dependent. 13,14,15

• Vitamin E Long term administration of some forms of vitamin E may reduce testosterone levels.16,17

• Vitamin C Studies suggest it protects prostate from testosterone induced tumors.18,19,20

• Vitamin D Vitamin D Actually a hormone, vitamin D regulates the synthesis of testosterone; Supplementation can significantly increase total, free and bioactive testosterone levels. 8,9,10,11,12

http://www.spectracell.com/media/uploade...el1113.pdf

http://info.spectracell.com/bid/88027/Nu...stosterone

(01-03-2014, 11:14 PM)Mistress~Lotus Wrote:  
  • Vitamin C Studies suggest it protects prostate from testosterone induced tumors.18,19,20

That's a bit simplistic. Vitamin C has been known, for longer than I've been alive, to prevent cancer, full stop.

There's just so much BS out there about cancer, it's staggering. The way people talk, every kind of cancer is a completely different animal, down to having special fundraisers for breast cancer, for prostate cancer, for leukemia, etc. But it's all the same thing: cells growing when & where they shouldn't, and not dying when they should. It simply affects the part of the body that is most stressed. (Lungs for smokers; liver, stomach, or prostate for heavy drinkers; colon for people who eat terrible diets; and so on.)

And our friend, Vitamin C, prevents this problem, no matter where in the body it occurs. Eat your fruits, people!

"Testosterone induced tumors"? Give me a break.

Testosterone levels related to Vitamin D up by 30ng

Data from a small randomized controlled trial suggest that vitamin D supplementation might increase the production of testosterone in men.[1] In that trial, 54 healthy men whose mean 25(OH)D levels were in the deficiency range (mean 29·7 nmol/l in the placebo group and 32·5 nmol/l in the vitamin D group; to convert nmol/l to ng/ml, divide by 2·5) received either 83 ?g vitamin D daily for 1 year (n = 31) or placebo (n = 23). Compared with baseline values, a significant increase in total testosterone levels (from 10·7 ± 3·9 to 13·4 ± 4·7 nmol/l; P < 0·001) was observed in the vitamin D supplementation group. Similar increases were observed for free testosterone and bioactive testosterone. No changes in testosterone concentrations were observed in the placebo group.
http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Testosterone...+July+2012

I don't think I'd stop supplementing because of a small recent study reports an increase, the info is for you to better understand what may affect your T levels. It's just a possible solution.

Interesting, Lotus. I would seem...seem, mind you...that most of the items listed, which all appear in most multi vitamins, are going to work against us by increasing T and/or its effectiveness. Right?

(06-03-2014, 06:13 PM)Samantha Rogers Wrote:  Interesting, Lotus. I would seem...seem, mind you...that most of the items listed, which all appear in most multi vitamins, are going to work against us by increasing T and/or its effectiveness. Right?

I wouldn't be to alarmed, some work for us and some work against us. For example, B6 is something I stay away from, and while it regulates sex hormones it also reduces prolactin which stimulates the hypothalamus to increase testosterone.

On the other hand we know all the benefits of Vitamin E, but as it states long term administration of some forms of vitamin E may reduce testosterone levels.

So, just something to think about! Wink

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon