Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Testosterone 101

It's not a class or course, just some basic info, no pressure!

Men produce 3mg to 10mg of T per day, and of that 4% gets converted to DHT and .02% gets converted to estrogen, (estradiol)

The prostate converts 95% of T to DHT by 5 alpha reductase, ( 5ar).

That small .02% of E is converted by the enzyme aromatase, this small percentage can be misleading, estradiol is 100 more potent at the receptor sites then T, that means T needs to balance at the same level to have the same affinity.

Generally speaking, T gets going early in the morning and declines throughout the day with a slight bump in the evening. Of course these levels can fluctuate with different activities.

What's Free Testosterone?

Free T is testosterone that is present within the bloodstream or not bound (locked) to a chemical called albumin. But it's also the functional T, If we were to breakdown testosterone say like how we know estrogen is, i.e.. E1, E2, E3,

FT-(Free T) is about 2% the bioavailable part of testosterone that's
free to bind with androgen receptors. This is the same principle as to how free E2 with estrogen receptors.

BT-Bound T or 98%
-which is 38% albumin (bloodstream)
-SHBG is 60% (sex-hormone-binding-globulin)

The following post will talk about these levels and what they represent. Smile

Oh before I forget, from what I've read the pituitary releases T about every 60 to 90 minutes. But this can also be affected from activities as well, er uhm, adult activities too.

So Free T or the 2% is the bio-active kind, this is the most important kind, (which is always debated). Free T is what's delivered to the target tissues and can be reduced by DHT. Free T is also the kind thats essential for your health, neurological, reproductive and body building benefits. Low levels of Free T increases body fat, reduces sex drive and may cause depression.

Now this part is not to be confused with what DHT does, which determines secondary sex characteristics and is the primary androgen in the prostrate and hair follicles.

Thanks, Lotus.

One question: Is the 4% DHT conversion rate static? Or, if you reduce your T-level to some certain amount, that % diminishes as well?

(25-03-2014, 01:01 AM)eloise614 Wrote:  Thanks, Lotus.

One question: Is the 4% DHT conversion rate static? Or, if you reduce your T-level to some certain amount, that % diminishes as well?

Probably not, meaning the catalyze (enzymes) is different for everyone with age, bmi, metabolism etc. But, DHT can be further reduced by E.

OK so I read about aromatase and all I can think of off the top of my head that I take that will help with that is a bit of red wine in the evenings now and then.... I do not take PM with the wine because it has a strong effect on meRolleyes

But I read alcohol and maybe a substance in red wine from grapes has a strong effectHuh I will try to find that info again Smile

I read till my eyes bleed too Mistress and I have information overload LOL

I do like licorice tea, I understand licorice in moderation helps with that and I can tell you when I take a licorice 450 mg capsule it almost feels the same as the effect too much wine gives me...

(26-03-2014, 02:49 PM)LittleMissS Wrote:  OK so I read about aromatase and all I can think of off the top of my head that I take that will help with that is a bit of red wine in the evenings now and then.... I do not take PM with the wine because it has a strong effect on meRolleyes

But I read alcohol and maybe a substance in red wine from grapes has a strong effectHuh I will try to find that info again Smile

I read till my eyes bleed too Mistress and I have information overload LOL

I do like licorice tea, I understand licorice in moderation helps with that and I can tell you when I take a licorice 450 mg capsule it almost feels the same as the effect too much wine gives me...

Hi LittlemissS,

So are you talking about recent studies that have been published?, some studies reported Red wine was a Aromatase Inhibitor,

The researchers checked levels of testosterone and various forms of estrogen, including estrodiol and estrone, besides luteinizing hormone and sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) in the women at distinct points in their menstrual cycles. They observed that red wine was associated with higher testosterone and lower SHBG levels, as compared to white wine. They found no significant difference in estrogen levels. Referring to some principles of endocrinology having to do with feedback at the hypothalamus, they conclude: "These data suggest that red wine is a nutritional AI." Their inference is that red wine might work like some of the commonly used hormone treatments for breast cancer.

As far a Licorice goes, I posted a response to Peggy's question on my program page, I know we have a bit more on licorice in the FAQ.

More on licorice root as an anti-androgen
http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=19578

Peggy's question
http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=17438&page=27

Before going any further I should apologize, if you have any questions please feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer. Smile

(27-03-2014, 02:00 AM)~Lotus~ Wrote:  Before going any further I should apologize, if you have any questions please feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer. Smile

Huh

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon