Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

growing spearmint

(28-03-2014, 12:56 AM)peggy Wrote:  Good info Lotus. Smile

So would you say White Peony is more effective than Licorice? Both are pro-aromatase herbs, right?

Good question!, both in terms of NBE are of great importance, I'd have to give the edge to WP, Just in terms of LR giving the insulin response and all. But I've used both and prefer WP, Sammie has them in little black pills, I think that's how she describes them, lol. This is just imo though Wink
Heart 

Sarah the gardener here,
Yes Spearmint (Mentha spicata) is invasive.
Yes you can pick the leaves and eat, dry, or make tea or oil.
I'm copying off the seed packet info.
"Containerize unless a patch is desired".
"Creeping perennial thrives in moist rich soil in sun or shade"

Horizon Herbs, LLC
PO Box 69
Williams, or 97544 USA

Certified Organicby Oregon Tilth

Hi Miranda,

Sorry I can't help you with potency levels home-grown vs. ready-packaged, but I can't imagine that there will be much of a difference.

As others have already mentioned, spearmint is very invasive and if grown outdoors, it should be confined to a container or pot. In the UK, all the big supermarkets sell growing spearmint and cut bunches for not a lot - what you should be looking for will be labeled as "Mint" as in mint sauce, rather than Spearmint. If in doubt, just pluck a little bit of leaf and rub it between your fingers before smelling / tasting it.

Also, if you live near a big city or large town, there will probably be an Asian quarter with lots of Asian fresh food stores - it will be cheaper from there and probably available in larger quantities than the small bunches or packs from a supermarket. If in doubt, you want the type of mint which is used widely in teas in North African countries, such as Morocco, Tunisia and Egypt.

Actually, whilst we're on the subject, for those of you who take FG, you will find it in these Asian shops much cheaper than in capsule form or from a supermarket. Just boil the seeds in water for 5-10 mins, then allow to stand for three or four hours. I used to use between one and two Tbsp per mug of FG tea. Protip: In Asian stores, they might know it better as Methi Seeds.Smile

I seem to recall Abidrew85 giving instructions on how to make fresh Spearmint tea, and I could be wrong but I'm sure she said to rapid boil the leaves in water for ten minutes before drinking. A search on her posts will no doubt point you in the right direction.

Good Luck! Big Grin

Ellie.
Heart 

Sarah again,
silly gurl,
i left off the contact info.
For you Translanders - Oregon USA Portland, Salem, Eugene , , ,
People's Co-Op -Portland; 4ish blocks North of Powell on 21stSE
Horizon Herbs has a whole rack of heritage seeds like this.
All packages i noted were 50 or 100 seeds @$4 per package.

Note: High Mowing Seed Co in Vermont is a good one to pass on by.

Loven you all
Ladies, Lovers `n Lurkers Wink

(28-03-2014, 03:08 AM)Satyagraha SoulForce Wrote:  Sarah a gardener here,
Yes Spearmint (Mentha spicata) is invasive.
Yes you can pick the leaves and eat, dry, or make tea or oil.
I'm copying off the seed packet info.
"Containerize unless a patch is desired".
"Creeping perennial thrives in moist rich soil in sun or shade"

Horizon Herbs, LLC
PO Box 69
Williams, or 97544 USA

Certified Organicby Oregon Tilth

So, today I have rushed out and bought a couple of plants from the local garden centre - I shall be planting them in a large pot or dustbin as it is very invasive!!!

The next question which raises its head - apart from how to make them grow really, really fast (I feel PM spray may not be effective here he he) is how to judge what will constitute a pharmaceutical level of consumption - trial and error could be somewhat indeterminate in this case.

Thanks for all the responses - will keep you all posted as the growth occursSmile

M x

(28-03-2014, 11:30 AM)EllieBoo Wrote:  As others have already mentioned, spearmint is very invasive and if grown outdoors, it should be confined to a container or pot. In the UK, all the big supermarkets sell growing spearmint and cut bunches for not a lot - what you should be looking for will be labeled as "Mint" as in mint sauce, rather than Spearmint. If in doubt, just pluck a little bit of leaf and rub it between your fingers before smelling / tasting it.

It is my understanding that the mint most usually available and sold simply as mint is -not- the same species as spearmint even though visually similar. My wife, who detests the smell and taste of spearmint, would shudder at the thought of using it for mint sauce or other common culinary purposes, but is an extensive user of garden mint (which is just as invasive). I don't know whether garden mint is an AA.

AnnabelP, you beat me to this reply, you are perfectly correct that Mint and Spearmint are two different herbs. Most UK supermarkets sell mint tea and even in some cases Mint & Spearmint but I have yet to encounter just Spearmint !

They look very similar but both smell and taste quite differently, so I can understand your dear wife being repulsed by it.

I love my spearmint tea quite apart from the NBE benefits and now prefer it to Earl Grey that I used to consume especially in the morning (without milk of course) Big Grin

I am fully aware that like mint, it can be very invasive if allowed to roam free in the garden, hence my desire to grow it in a large tub or barrel !

Love to all
Hugs
Heather

I've been growing it a long time. Really, just find some seeds that are clearly spearmint, and it'll grow. It's easy past that. Yes, it does take over, but you can easily grow it in a container or confine it to a bordered or raised bed outside. I just make sure to get it into my diet whenever I can, and that seems to work. For me, there seems to be a huge amount of potency in easing fresh, wet leaves though. I'm not sure how many of the active ingredients are lost in drying and making tea, but I'll eat the leaves, and it has a far stronger effect than the same amount in tea.

Thanks for the variety warning - it is definitely spearmint that I obtained (well according to the label both in English 'spearmint' and latin 'Mentha spicata'.)

M x

I don't recommend it as a way to get enough anti-androgen into your system to make a big difference, but I highly recommend using mulled fresh home-grown spearmint leaves in mint juleps, with a good sour mash, a minuscule touch of super fine sugar and crushed ice. Not only is it a delightfully cooling summer drink, it affords the perfect opportunity to put on your favorite Scarlet O'Hara dress and laze in the sultry night air.

Rhett Butler: And those pantalettes, I don't know a woman in Paris who wears pantalettes.
Scarlett: Oh Rhett, what do they - you shouldn't talk about such things.
Rhett Butler: You little hypocrite. You don't mind my knowing about them, just my talking about it.
Scarlett: But really Rhett, I can't go on accepting these gifts although you are AWFULLY kind.
Rhett Butler: I'm not kind, I'm just tempting you.
Scarlett: Well if you think I'll marry you just to pay for the bonnet I won't.
Rhett Butler: Don't flatter yourself. I'm not a marrying man.

Scarlett: [Rhett has heard Scarlett's and Ashley's fight] and Sir you should have made your presence known
Rhett Butler: In the middle of that beautiful love scene. Now that wouldn't have been very tactful would it?
Scarlett: Oh! You sir are no gentlemen.
Rhett Butler: And you Ms. are no lady.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon