Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Sex And Gender Explorer.

(19-04-2014, 12:30 AM)SarahSchilling Wrote:  Eh, I like Elizabeth Browning's poetry more than the works that I've read of Wordsworth or Tennyson.

I will give you props for that if you didn't Google it! Big Grin

But yeah, totally subjective... my favorite poem goes a little like this:

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
by the men who moil for gold
the arctic trails have secret tales
that make your blood run cold...

(19-04-2014, 01:05 AM)MissC Wrote:  
(19-04-2014, 12:30 AM)SarahSchilling Wrote:  Eh, I like Elizabeth Browning's poetry more than the works that I've read of Wordsworth or Tennyson.

I will give you props for that if you didn't Google it! Big Grin

But yeah, totally subjective... my favorite poem goes a little like this:

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
by the men who moil for gold
the arctic trails have secret tales
that make your blood run cold...

Don't give me too much credit. I'm just a chemistry major that had to take a couple of semesters of literature.

(18-04-2014, 04:58 PM)Samantha Rogers Wrote:  Lol...actually, not so much a computer snob, as just really averse to sleazy business tactics which I think microsoft has always employed. So how did you make this work on a Mac?

I actually use 2 computers and did it on my PC. It sucked though on my Chrome since the pictures only flashed for a split second before going to an error page. Haha but I guess I didn't care enough to try to make sure I was fully compatible before starting the test (I tend to not take tests where I have to pic from answers seriously since I feel like it oversimplifies things where I would always want to select the choice of "it depends")

(17-04-2014, 10:04 PM)Denita Wrote:  These sort of tests are for fun and interest only. It is not meant to be used as a diagnostic tool.

This link explains the reasons why better than I can.
A note on "Gender Tests".

Female poets without googling it. Ummm??
Emily, Charlotte and Anne Bronte.
Helen Joy Davidman, wife of C.S.Lewis.
Pam Ayres.

Favorite monkey has to be the Orangutan. Just so cute!

Denita

(19-04-2014, 03:19 AM)Denita Wrote:  
(17-04-2014, 10:04 PM)Denita Wrote:  These sort of tests are for fun and interest only. It is not meant to be used as a diagnostic tool.

Pam Ayres.

Denita

I would have said Mickey Dolenz, but he wasn't on the option list...tee hee.Tongue

(19-04-2014, 03:35 AM)Samantha Rogers Wrote:  
(19-04-2014, 03:19 AM)Denita Wrote:  

Pam Ayres.

Denita

I would have said Mickey Dolenz, but he wasn't on the option list...tee hee.Tongue

Hehehehehehehe Tongue

(18-04-2014, 11:03 PM)MissC Wrote:  Well, there's 20 minutes of my life down the drain... not that I had any other expectation than a little entertainment, mind you. Smile

It didn't come up with any results at all when I clicked "intersex"; a "0 raw score androgynous, not a candidate for transition" for male, and "0 raw score bisexual crossdresser" for female.

Some of the questions were mildly amusing, but as every other one of these tests I've ever seen goes, it's mostly a matter of "pick which bullshit stereotypes you think fit you best to get the answer you want".

Math and science are not just a guy thing... my years working amongst the manly men of construction, and in the office environments too, taught me that 90% of people suck at math regardless of their genitalia. 100% of politicians suck at math; that much is obvious just watching how government works.

Not only that, but it's rather insulting to women, I think, to assume that men are automatically better at math. More of the accountants I know are women, and they are, each and every one of them, stellar at math.

It's also foolish to assume that women are better at poetry. How many female poets can you name of the caliber of Longfellow, Wordsworth, Tennyson, Goethe, Kipling? Name one without googling, I dare you. (If someone says Maya Angelou, I'll scream.)

Spelling is not an indication of your gender; it's an indication of whether or not you have a) a functional brain and b) a decent education, and c) not (in all fairness) dyslexic. Just ridiculous.

Or when they ask questions like "You are mostly: Assertive - Independent - Adaptable - Understanding - Compassionate". There is no case to be made that any of those things are mutually exclusive.

Some of the spatial intelligence questions were slightly more on the mark, as overall men do perform slightly better, but when a male performs poorly at spatial reasoning, we'd not so much call him a woman as we'd call him... dull. Believe me, I've known plenty of men of limited spatial intelligence, and there's nothing whatever feminine about them.

And what the everlastin' fill-in-the-blank does your favorite monkey have to do with any damn thing? Huh Is Jane Goodall a man trapped in a woman's body because she studies gorillas?

Ah well. There's my nonsense for the day. Back to work.

Where in the test is the implication, in any way, that mathematics and science is a "guy thing"? I can not find any assumption, anywhere, that men are automatically better at maths? Where does it say that?

I would think anyone (regardless of gender) that spends their working days dealing with mathematics would be professional and practised at it. Using the analogy that the female accountants you know are "stellar at math" is baffling. They are accountants, they should be.

Where does it say "women are better at poetry"?

Spelling might not be an indication of your gender but spelling ability is also not a indicator of your intelligence or access to decent education. Having a form of Dyslexia and Dysgraphia myself I have to work extra hard to be coherent and to correct my spelling.

The question starting "You are mostly:" does not require the answers to be mutually exclusive. It's asking which of the 5 choices you are most like.

Lack of spatial awareness or spatial reasoning has no correlation with intelligence. It has been shown there is a measurable difference between male and female brain patterns using Magnetic resonance imaging when given a spatial awareness test.

Yes the test is full of bad spelling, obviously leading and strange questions but it does not contain assumptions, stereotypes, prejudice or any implied insults.

So in conclusion I have to ask where have they come from?

Denita

(19-04-2014, 09:23 AM)Denita Wrote:  Where in the test is the implication, in any way, that mathematics and science is a "guy thing"?

It's not implied. It's absurdly obvious from the way the questions are laid out, and the results the "test" gives depending on which answers you choose. Try taking it several times, changing your answers, and see what happens.

Think about it. There's only ONE reason they ask questions like that -- it's because someone thinks the referenced skills are gendered somehow. Read the link someone posted in this thread about gender tests. It explains better than I can why these tests are a waste of electrons.

(19-04-2014, 09:23 AM)Denita Wrote:  Spelling might not be an indication of your gender but spelling ability is also not a indicator of your intelligence or access to decent education. Having a form of Dyslexia and Dysgraphia myself I have to work extra hard to be coherent and to correct my spelling.

Kindly note I did specifically mention dyslexia.

And yes, spelling ability is, in point of fact, an indication of intelligence and education. It's not a direct correlation, but it is most certainly an indication. This is what we could call a general rule. A few exceptions do not disprove the rule.

(19-04-2014, 09:23 AM)Denita Wrote:  Lack of spatial awareness or spatial reasoning has no correlation with intelligence.

The hell it doesn't! Unless you have an entirely different definition of "intelligence" than everyone else....

Spatial reasoning is part of every intelligence test. What do you think it's there for?

And please, everyone can spare me the nonsense going around how "IQ tests are meaningless". If they were meaningless, the military wouldn't use the ASVAB test. They keep using it because it works, and the military does not care about politically correct opinions.

(19-04-2014, 09:23 AM)Denita Wrote:  Yes the test is full of bad spelling, obviously leading and strange questions but it does not contain assumptions, stereotypes, prejudice or any implied insults.

Hey, denial ain't just a river in Egypt, ya know.

It is one long litany of assumptions and stereotypes, beginning to end. It has to be! If they don't make assumptions about what is male behavior and what is female behavior, what would be the point? I'm simply baffled that anyone could assert otherwise.

Basically, the result of these tests is that if a man can't spatially reason, parallel park, do math, or fix a car, he's a woman. Well, 'scuse me all to pieces, but that's poppycock.

(19-04-2014, 09:55 PM)MissC Wrote:  Basically, the result of these tests is that if a man can't spatially reason, parallel park, do math, or fix a car, he's a woman. Well, 'scuse me all to pieces, but that's poppycock.

LOL, it doesn't mean that said man is physically a woman, only that mentally he most likely operates in a feminine manner. Of course, this isn't going to be true all of the time, stereotypes never are, but to quote....well....you:

It's not a direct correlation, but it is most certainly an indication. This is what we could call a general rule. A few exceptions do not disprove the rule.

Of course, these kinds of tests are sexist, have their basis in societal stereotypes, and, in practice, are rife with confirmation bias. It's to be expected.

That doesn't mean that all existing gender stereotypes are nonsense.

(19-04-2014, 09:55 PM)MissC Wrote:  It's not implied. It's absurdly obvious from the way the questions are laid out, and the results the "test" gives depending on which answers you choose.

Read the link someone posted in this thread about gender tests. It explains better than I can why these tests are a waste of electrons.

The test itself does not say "Math and science are not just a guy thing." or "Not only that, but it's rather insulting to women, I think, to assume that men are automatically better at math." you did. That is your bias and interpretation of the questions.

It was me that posted the link: A note on "Gender Tests".

The fact that these tests might help someone to really consider their thoughts and feelings does not seem a "waste of electrons." to me.

(19-04-2014, 09:55 PM)MissC Wrote:  The hell it doesn't! Unless you have an entirely different definition of "intelligence" than everyone else....

Spatial reasoning is part of every intelligence test. What do you think it's there for?

And please, everyone can spare me the nonsense going around how "IQ tests are meaningless". If they were meaningless, the military wouldn't use the ASVAB test. They keep using it because it works, and the military does not care about politically correct opinions.

I do question your definition of "intelligence".

Intelligence: the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills. The capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity.

Spatial awareness or spatial reasoning is described as the ability or mental skill to solve spatial problems of navigation, visualization of objects from different angles and space, faces or scenes recognition or to notice fine details.

The term "Spatial Intelligence" is from Frames of Mind: Theory of Multiple Intelligences by Howard Gardner but the term spatial intelligence is largely disputed by psychologists as it is considered an "ability" or "aptitude" not a intelligence.

Spatial awareness plays a critical role in engineering and scientific disciplines but spatial awareness does not mean you are any less or more intelligent as many things make up intelligence.

I am not going to dispute IQ tests as I do one every two years as part of a study into high IQ and dyslexia. Big Grin
The fact that the military use IQ test is beside the point.

Denita

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon