Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)

Lotus whats your thoughts on this ?

http://www.amazon.ca/Eucalyptus-globulus-Spearmint-Mentha-spicata/dp/B00A8FD6R6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399234770&sr=8-1&keywords=spearmint+extract

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-700-EUCALYPTUS.aspx?activeIngredientId=700&activeIngredientName=EUCALYPTUS

Medications changed by the liver (Cytochrome P450 1A2 (CYP1A2) substrates) interacts with EUCALYPTUS

Some medications are changed and broken down by the liver.

Eucalyptus oil might decrease how quickly the liver breaks down some medications. Taking eucalyptus oil along with some medications that are broken down by the liver can increase the effects and side effects of some medications.

(04-05-2014, 09:31 PM)Janet doe Wrote:  Lotus whats your thoughts on this ?

http://www.amazon.ca/Eucalyptus-globulus-Spearmint-Mentha-spicata/dp/B00A8FD6R6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399234770&sr=8-1&keywords=spearmint+extract

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-700-EUCALYPTUS.aspx?activeIngredientId=700&activeIngredientName=EUCALYPTUS

Medications changed by the liver (Cytochrome P450 1A2 (CYP1A2) substrates) interacts with EUCALYPTUS

Eucalyptus oil might decrease how quickly the liver breaks down some medications. Taking eucalyptus oil along with some medications that are broken down by the liver can increase the effects and side effects of some medications.

Hi Janet,

You have the right idea, eucalyptus wouldn't be my choice to get there though, check the link for inhibitors:

Cytochrome P450 1A2
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP1A2

Wink

(05-05-2014, 12:29 AM)Lotus Wrote:  

Hi Janet,

You have the right idea, eucalyptus wouldn't be my choice to get there though, check the link for inhibitors:

Cytochrome P450 1A2

Wink

Thanks honey .. Now I have a headache ..!! Lol

Actually I was looking at it more for the point is came with spearmint, I'm having a hard time finding spearmint extract here in Canada. I was suspecting the eucalyptus added to the extract would actually help, rather than hinder.

(05-05-2014, 03:21 PM)Janet doe Wrote:  

Hi Janet,

Cytochrome P450 1A2

Wink

Actually I was looking at it more for the point is came with spearmint, I'm having a hard time finding spearmint extract here in Canada. I was suspecting the eucalyptus added to the extract would actually help, rather than hinder.

I see, that's a problem. I don't know how beneficial it would be for NBE, meaning from my understanding of eucalyptus, is even if the amounts are diluted it should be limited for daily use. And if that's the case spearmint would also be limited, so unless I'm missing something (please let me know if I am) here I dunno. Are you using spearmint tea in the meantime?

Wink

(05-05-2014, 07:48 PM)Lotus Wrote:  
(05-05-2014, 03:21 PM)Janet doe Wrote:  

Hi Janet,

Cytochrome P450 1A2

Wink

I see, that's a problem. I don't know how beneficial it would be for NBE, meaning from my understanding of eucalyptus, is even if the amounts are diluted it should be limited for daily use. And if that's the case spearmint would also be limited, so unless I'm missing something (please let me know if I am) here I dunno. Are you using spearmint tea in the meantime?

Wink

Yes, I throw two spearmint tea bags into a thermos , and drink from it during the day. Maybe I'll try eBay for the straight extract ..

Eucalyptus oil

Side Effects and Warnings

Severe and potentially deadly side effects are reported with the use of eucalyptus oil by mouth in children and adults. These include slowing of the brain and central nervous system, drowsiness, seizures, and coma. Use caution if driving or operating heavy machinery. Anecdotal reports suggest that serious side effects can develop with as little as one teaspoon taken by mouth. Reports also suggest that inhaled eucalyptus products or bathtub exposure can cause symptoms. Avoid eucalyptus products in infants and young children, as reports describe severe reactions after exposure by mouth or by application to the skin. Ingestion by children of vaporizer formulas containing eucalyptus has been reported.

Symptoms reported with eucalyptus oil taken by mouth include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, muscle weakness, constricted pupils, a feeling of suffocation or difficulty breathing, wheezing, cough, blue discoloration of the lips or skin, delirium, or convulsions. Drowsiness, hyperactivity, difficulty walking, muscle weakness, slurred speech, fever, pneumonia, and headache have also been reported. Case reports describe several abnormalities in heart function after eucalyptus oil is taken by mouth, including abnormal rhythms, loss of heartbeat, low blood pressure, and complete disruption of the heart and circulation. Individuals with seizure disorders, heart disease, disorders of the stomach or intestines, or lung disease should use caution.

Published reports describe "attacks" in patients with acute intermittent porphyria (AIP), an inherited disorder affecting the liver and blood. Individuals with AIP should avoid eucalyptus products. Other case reports mention symptoms in individuals who have kidney or liver disease or who are taking other medications that are processed by the liver. Eucalyptus is reported to lower blood sugar in diabetic animals, although reliable human studies are not available in this area. Nonetheless, caution is advised in patients with diabetes or hypoglycemia, and in those taking drugs, herbs, or supplements that affect blood sugar. Serum glucose levels may need to be monitored by a healthcare provider, and medication adjustments may be necessary.

A strain of bacteria found on eucalyptus may cause infection. Worsening of asthma and rhinoconjunctivitis has been reported.

Cardiovascular collapse and multi-organ failure has been reported following a massive ingestion of mouthwash containing phenolic compounds (eucalyptol, menthol, thymol).

Source:
Eucalyptus

(05-05-2014, 09:41 PM)Denita Wrote:  Eucalyptus oil

Severe and potentially deadly side effects are reported with the use of eucalyptus oil by mouth in children and adults. These include slowing of the brain and central nervous system, drowsiness, seizures, and coma. Use caution if driving or operating heavy machinery. Anecdotal reports suggest that serious side effects can develop with as little as one teaspoon taken by mouth. Reports also suggest that inhaled eucalyptus products or bathtub exposure can cause symptoms. Avoid eucalyptus products in infants and young children, as reports describe severe reactions after exposure by mouth or by application to the skin. Ingestion by children of vaporizer formulas containing eucalyptus has been reported.

Symptoms reported with eucalyptus oil taken by mouth include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, muscle weakness, constricted pupils, a feeling of suffocation or difficulty breathing, wheezing, cough, blue discoloration of the lips or skin, delirium, or convulsions. Drowsiness, hyperactivity, difficulty walking, muscle weakness, slurred speech, fever, pneumonia, and headache have also been reported. Case reports describe several abnormalities in heart function after eucalyptus oil is taken by mouth, including abnormal rhythms, loss of heartbeat, low blood pressure, and complete disruption of the heart and circulation. Individuals with seizure disorders, heart disease, disorders of the stomach or intestines, or lung disease should use caution.

Published reports describe "attacks" in patients with acute intermittent porphyria (AIP), an inherited disorder affecting the liver and blood. Individuals with AIP should avoid eucalyptus products. Other case reports mention symptoms in individuals who have kidney or liver disease or who are taking other medications that are processed by the liver. Eucalyptus is reported to lower blood sugar in diabetic animals, although reliable human studies are not available in this area. Nonetheless, caution is advised in patients with diabetes or hypoglycemia, and in those taking drugs, herbs, or supplements that affect blood sugar. Serum glucose levels may need to be monitored by a healthcare provider, and medication adjustments may be necessary.

A strain of bacteria found on eucalyptus may cause infection. Worsening of asthma and rhinoconjunctivitis has been reported.

Cardiovascular collapse and multi-organ failure has been reported following a massive ingestion of mouthwash containing phenolic compounds (eucalyptol, menthol, thymol).

Source:
Eucalyptus

Thanks Denita, that sounds like I will give that a miss, thanks for your help.

(06-05-2014, 02:22 AM)Janet doe Wrote:  
(05-05-2014, 09:41 PM)Denita Wrote:  Eucalyptus oil

Source:
Eucalyptus

Thanks Denita, that sounds like I will give that a miss, thanks for your help.

Everything I've read shows eucalyptus has a very narrow difference between what is useful and harmful. Even then the data is conflicting.

Glad it helped. Big Grin

Denita

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon