Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

How does it feel to have GID?

For me it started when I was little more than a baby, my mother tells a story about me wanting to play with dolls and she took me to the doctor about it when I was 2 or 3 years old. At 5 years old I have a clear memory of asking a friend if I could wear her beautiful green organza party dress, and at 10 I remember finding a blue cream eyeshadow that belonged to a cousin, and trying that. I have NO idea why I wanted to do any of that, it just seemed a good idea at the time. By 11 or 12 I was wearing my mothers and sisters clothes whenever I got the chance, and by 14-ish, even occasionally going out for a quick walk on a dark evening. I was fortunate that even though I had a deeply religeous family, this activity never seemed wrong to me, its just felt right, even though I was scared rigid of being caught, but I couldn't stop ( didn't want to!). By mid-teens I had collected quite a few bits of my own, hidden around my room, and then one day I went out and threw it all away. I said to myself, "Why do this? You've got a lovely girlfriend, you don't need it, she is far prettier than you'll ever be." It wasn't long before the urge came back as strong as ever.
By early 20's my GF was my wife. I had told her about my inner drive before we married and she said it was OK with her ( it wasn't really but she tolerated it for my sake). I also had a talk with myself and thought about options including a sex-change, but I had never felt that "I was a woman trapped in a mans body" and I was quite clear and happy that that route wasn't for me, and that is a decision that I am still very happy with. I've gone through the subsequent 40 years with on-off binges of cross-dressing followed by abstinence, never knowing when or why it would come or go, although knowing what I know now, I can look back and see what I think are triggers to many of those stop-starts.

Yes, I'm now absolutely convinced that my brain craves a degree of femaleness that my body can't naturally provide. For most of my life I have attempted to satisfy that need with clothes, makeup, shoes, etc. That works for a short term fix, and I believe, is why it has never felt 'wrong' to me - how could my brain feeling peace, ever make my brain feel that it is doing something wrong?? However, it's a bit like a junkie needing a stronger and stronger fix, I needed more and more time 'dressed' but it became less and less satisfying. Sooner or later the whole thing would 'explode', my male side would rebel and reassert itself, everything would get dumped for a while and then the merry-go-round starts all over again! Looking back, often that rebellion would actually be triggered by an outside emotional pressure, such as redundancy at work, etc, which required the male me to get his act in gear so that life could continue, and stop mucking about as a pretend female(!).

PM seems to have changed that pattern. I believe that it gives my brain the chemical fix it needs to achieve that pre-programmed balance and because it is internal, the external quick-fix of cross-dressing isn't needed.

Sorry if this has been long winded!Big GrinBig Grin

Pansy, I can so easily relate to so much of what you wrote. The dressing and purging cycles have plagued most of us I think, along with most of the same thoughts and feelings you describe. The fact that so many people have dealt with almost the identical set of patterns makes me firmer every day in my belief that all of this is something we are built with from the womb.
And PM also reduced or eliminated my wanting to dress...for awhile. But here is where we diverge. After three years of PM and three years of almost never dressing, the urge came crashing back and has not abated at all. Part of that, I expect, is to do with my no longer fighting it but rather fully embracing who I believe I am.
You and I began here around the same time and have been at this a long time. Has the desire to dress and present as female really gone from you totally in this time?

Pansy-Mae and Sammie,
I love reading the CD/TG accounts of long timers like you two. I helps me to understand the likely long term direction of my own path forward. Thank you both for staying with the forum and sharing your incredibly interesting and helpful experiences.

Hug, hug,

Clara Smile

I think what is really great about all of this is that more and more people are discovering that gender can't be put into a box. Your sex is what you were born with, your gender is what you make it.

I think the more people accept that gender can be fluid, the quicker we can end all this "gender roles" nonsense.

(24-05-2014, 03:43 PM)echapman Wrote:  I think what is really great about all of this is that more and more people are discovering that gender can't be put into a box. Your sex is what you were born with, your gender is what you make it.

I think the more people accept that gender can be fluid, the quicker we can end all this "gender roles" nonsense.

That's been my position for a long time. Sure is nice to hear it expressed by a GG! What a treasure you are!Smile
I am afraid, though, that such a world is a ways away still, and not likely in my lifetime. Still, one day and one person at a time, I guess.Rolleyes
Thanks...you are awesome, honey!

(24-05-2014, 04:41 PM)Samantha Rogers Wrote:  
(24-05-2014, 03:43 PM)echapman Wrote:  I think what is really great about all of this is that more and more people are discovering that gender can't be put into a box. Your sex is what you were born with, your gender is what you make it.

That's been my position for a long time. Sure is nice to hear it expressed by a GG! What a treasure you are!Smile
I am afraid, though, that such a world is a ways away still, and not likely in my lifetime. Still, one day and one person at a time, I guess.Rolleyes
Thanks...you are awesome, honey!

Awww thanks! Things are changing QUICKLY. The trans scene in Nashville is blowing up... which is a huge accomplishment for a place right in the buckle of the Bible Belt. Not long ago a man brought his daughter to school (i am a pre-school teacher), and he had on a full face of makeup and I could tell he was on some sort of herbs. Them curves don't lie. I didn't want to stare, but I was so proud of him for being out and about like that. I wanted to point him to this site!

Thats awesome! I always liked Nashville...kind of an island of civilization in what used to be a very conservative area. I always chalked it up to all the musicians and how much their travel broadened their minds.
I did a show there years ago so I was in town for a couple of months and really loved the people I met there. We used to go to hear bluegrass at a place called The Station Inn. Very cool little musicians hang out.
Of course, I don't mean to put down Southerners. I have known many people from the South who had a deep seated "live and let live" attitude coupled with very warm and loving hearts.
I love your attitude, by the way!Smile

(24-05-2014, 01:09 PM)Samantha Rogers Wrote:  Has the desire to dress and present as female really gone from you totally in this time?

Sammie,
For most of the time I've been on PM, I found a comfortable half-way house. Not deliberately, it just worked out that way, because my job changed from being office based to working from home so unless I had to go out on a field trip, I would wear heels, ladies trousers, a blouse/jumper, etc, just because I wanted to, and not to 'look female' as in my active frenetic TV days gone by. I noticed however that I had also gone from wearing wig and loads of makeup all the time, to rarely and then never wearing that at all. This bit is difficult to explain, but putting the wig on made me feel as though I was in drag, somehow, even though without it I look like a bald half & half freak ( I don't know if that makes any kind of sense?). In the past I would have died rather than be seen without a wig, even by TV friends. Huh

For the past year or so, even the minimal dressing at home has more or less gone, reduced to wearing small unobtrusive studs in my ears most weekends and sometimes wearing clear nail varnish if I'm going to be able to keep it on a for a few days. The WISH for more hasn't gone completely, I sometimes look at my wardrobe full of clothes and shoes and think about it, but somehow can't be bothered. I SUSPECT, that this may be a PM modified version of a 'dump it all' episode, brought on by the stress of my wife's deteriorating health, amongst other things, but I can't be sure until/unless something changes.

Hi Pansy,

I am sorry to hear about your wife's health issues. Really. I hope things improve.
I expect that stress from that could easily play a role in reducing the desire to dress. Although for some I think a chance to dress actually reduces stress, for those who have had the opportunity to do so a lot, I don't think that is as much the same function, but rather a chance to just experience or get closer, perhaps, to something else...not sure exactly how to define that...probably a little different for each of us. Still, in times of ...stress is not the right word... I am thinking more of a weariness that comes from emotional toil, such as the illness of a loved one...I know dressing and many aspects of this odd dysphoria can fade into insignificance. Add to that the stabilizing mental affects of PM, as well as the fact that many of us normally go through periods where our interest comes and goes anyway, and, well.... your current lack of interest seems quite normal to me.
Regardless....all the best, honey. My heart goes out to you.

Hugs

Thanks Sammie. You may be right, I don't know, sometimes we are too close to something to see it clearly ourselves.
Yes, in the past dressing has itself sometimes been a relief from the everyday stresses of life, my first wife would sometimes say "You need to go and be beautiful.", even when I hadn't realised it for myself!

Currently, this has a different feel, S's health is a constant concern, but has been since we first met 11 years ago. At that time, the chances of her dying, literally at any moment, were very high. That is no longer the case, but her overall level of health gets a tiny bit worse with each passing day, so in reality nothing much has changed in that sense. During that time I've gone from not dressing at all, to almost fulltime ( with her approval and encouragement), to back to nothing. I'm sure that PM is playing a role in it, but don't quite know how.

I'm in danger of overthinking this now, instead of simply accepting that "I am what I am", as have done all my life, and accepting whatever comes. Smile

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon