Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

FAQ-NBE and Insulin Resistance

(26-05-2014, 11:04 PM)rocketmelon Wrote:  Jesus it goes over my head ..I might have to study this a while xD ...get employed for this ...or write a book Big Grin
you could do a lot of entrepreneuring with this kind of knowledge!!

jerusalem artichoke I'm hearing is good for insulin !!
have you heard of it ???

Lotus do you believe theres any good herbs to improve belly weight loss and hold onto more feminine bits ....anti-androgens help right?
do you think if I lost weight until I was happy with my stomach I could start gaining weight to fill out my hips and butt etc by taking certain herbs?..I've lost a lot of weight and only wanted a flatter tummy ..feels like it's stubborn ..even though my waist is small I have yet to reach tummy goal (I'm very close ) but I don't want to get any smaller anywhere else..idk maybe my arms ...on your research it mentions insulin effects belly fat .....I know I ask so much but your crazy at coming up with stuff Big Grin you should write a book in all honesty (;..I'd buy it ! for real ..as long as it's not like 4000000£$ lol

Hmm, the battle of the belly!!, have you tried the vacuum pose?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=loaBqxLNgRM

Seriously, you should try this!! Tongue

Choosing foods that can influence:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6658]

Foods-

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6659]

thanx I will ! gonna use ab belt too ..if it could make it look like I'm permanently sucking in that be great !!!!!!!

thanx lotus ;D

(26-05-2014, 11:24 PM)lovely11 Wrote:  I bet trans fats are bad for insulin. Even labels that say 0 grams of trans fats, have a smaller amount (listed in the ingredients label as 'hydrogenated') that can be felt. What do you think?

Yes, pretty risky, though completely eliminating is extremely difficult, but with persistence it's entirely possible.

Trans fatty acids and insulin resistance.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16713388

Fatty acids and insulin sensitivi
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18301083

Coffee & Insulin and Weight Loss
http://www.livestrong.com/article/527371...ight-loss/

Trans-fats:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6661]

Back to insulin:

Associations of Estrogen and Testosterone With Insulin Resistance in Pre- and Postmenopausal Women With and Without Hormone Therapy
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3693666/

Relationship Between Testosterone Levels, Insulin Sensitivity, and Mitochondrial Function in Men

CONCLUSIONS—These data indicate that low serum testosterone levels are associated with an adverse metabolic profile and suggest a novel unifying mechanism for the previously independent observations that low testosterone levels and impaired mitochondrial function promote insulin resistance in men.
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/28/7/1636.full

mono saturated and mono unsaturated fats are healthy, but they have to be done in balance. A smaller amount of poly unsaturated or poly saturated fats might be fine. I heard too much poly unsaturated fats could cause cancer. Too much poly unsaturated fats cause havoc on my body and cause weight loss. Healthy fats have a combination of different types of saturated and unsaturated fats. Really, its about balance.

Trans/hydrogenated fats are always to be avoided no matter what the goal is.

The Truth About Fat

Everything you need to know about fat, including an explanation of which is worse -- belly fat or thigh fat.

White Fat

White fat is much more plentiful than brown, experts agree. The job of white fat is to store energy and produce hormones that are then secreted into the bloodstream.

Small fat cells produce a "good guy" hormone called adiponectin, which makes the liver and muscles sensitive to the hormone insulin, in the process making us less susceptible to diabetes and heart disease.

When people become fat, the production of adiponectin slows down or shuts down, setting them up for disease, according to Fried and others.

Subcutaneous Fat

Subcutaneous fat is found directly under the skin. It's the fat that's measured using skin-fold calipers to estimate your total body fat.

In terms of overall health, subcutaneous fat in the thighs and buttocks, for instance, may not be as bad and may have some potential benefits, says Cypess. "It may not cause as many problems" as other types of fat, specifically the deeper, visceral fat, he says.

But subcutaneous fat cells on the belly may be another story, says Fried. There's emerging evidence that the danger of big bellies lies not only in the deep visceral fat but also the subcutaneous fat.

Visceral Fat

Visceral or "deep" fat wraps around the inner organs and spells trouble for your health. How do you know if you have it? "If you have a large waist or belly, of course you have visceral fat," Whitmer says. Visceral fat drives up your risk for diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and even dementia.

Visceral fat is thought to play a larger role in insulin resistance -- which boosts risk of diabetes -- than other fat, Whitmer tells WebMD. It's not clear why, but it could explain or partially explain why visceral fat is a health risk.

Whitmer investigated the link between visceral fat and dementia. In a study, she evaluated the records of more than 6,500 members of Kaiser Permanente of Northern California, a large health maintenance organization, for an average of 36 years, from the time they were in their 40s until they were in their 70s.

The records included details on height, weight, and belly diameter -- a reflection of the amount of visceral fat. Those with the biggest bellies had a higher risk of dementia than those with smaller bellies. The link was true even for people with excess belly fat but overall of normal weight.

She doesn't know why belly fat and dementia are linked, but speculates that substances such as leptin, a hormone released by the belly fat, may have some adverse effect on the brain. Leptin plays a role in appetite regulation but also in learning and memory.

Belly Fat

Belly fat has gotten a mostly deserved reputation as an unhealthy fat. "Understand that belly fat is both visceral and subcutaneous," says Kristen Gill Hairston, MD, MPH, an assistant professor of medicine at Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, N.C. "We don't have a perfect way yet to determine which [of belly fat] is subcutaneous or visceral, except by CT scan, but that's not cost-effective."

Belly Fat continued...

But if you've got an oversize belly, figuring out how much is visceral and how much is subcutaneous isn't as important as recognizing a big belly is unhealthy, she says. How big is too big? Women with a waist circumference more than 35 inches and men with a waist circumference more than 40 inches are at increased disease risk.

Abdominal fat is viewed as a bigger health risk than hip or thigh fat, Whitmer and other experts say. And that could mean having a worse effect on insulin resistance, boosting the risk of diabetes, and a worse effect on blood lipids, boosting heart and stroke risks.

Thigh Fat, Buttocks Fat

While men tend to accumulate fat in the belly, it's no secret women, especially if "pear-shaped," accumulate it in their thighs and buttocks.

Unsightliness aside, emerging evidence suggests that pear-shaped women are protected from metabolic disease compared to big-bellied people, says Fried.

"Thigh fat and butt fat might be good," she says, referring to that area's stores of subcutaneous fat. But the benefit of women being pear shaped may stop at menopause, when women tend to deposit more fat in the abdomen.

Weight Loss and Fat Loss

So when you lose weight, what kind or kinds of fat do you shed? "You're losing white fat," Fried tells WebMD. "People tend to lose evenly all over."

The results change a bit, however, if you add workouts to your calorie reduction, she says. "If you exercise plus diet you will tend to lose slightly more visceral fat from your belly."

"We're at an exciting point in science," says Whitmer, echoing the input from other scientists in the field.

Whitmer and others expect more discoveries about fat of all types to be made in the near future.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-t...fat?page=2

Quote:Small fat cells produce a "good guy" hormone called adiponectin, which makes the liver and muscles sensitive to the hormone insulin, in the process making us less susceptible to diabetes and heart disease.

Adiponectin and Diet

Having low blood adiponectin levels increases the risk of developing diabetes, and it may also be associated with heart disease and even some types of cancer. The composition of your diet and the amount of fatty tissue that you have can influence circulating adiponectin levels. Adhering to a healthy diet containing plenty of plant-based foods, dietary fiber and ocean fish may help elevate low blood adiponectin levels.

Importance of Adiponectin

Adiponectin is a small protein that fat cells produce and secrete into the bloodstream. Adiponectin is also a hormone. It binds with specific receptors on the surface of tissue cells and produces some known metabolic effects. For example, adiponectin increases the use of fatty acids for fuel, and it enhances insulin sensitivity in tissues such as the liver and muscles. These effects facilitate blood glucose transport into tissue cells. Obesity can lower adiponectin production, and low circulating adiponectin levels are associated with type-2 diabetes. Although still a subject under investigation, adiponectin may also help protect against blood vessel disease, heart attack and stroke.

Chlorogenic Acid

Chlorogenic acid is found in Coffee mostly and a lot of plant compounds; it holds promise in many aspects of health and cognition similar to Bioflavonoids and shares some effects similar to Caffeine but less potent. May decrease the absorption of dietary carbohydrate.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/313879...-and-diet/

Green Coffee Beans May Aid Weight Loss
Supplement Linked to Weight Loss in Small, Early Study
----------------------------------------------------
March 28, 2012 -- Ground green coffee beans, taken daily, seem to spur steady weight loss, according to new research.

In a small, 22-week study, researchers found that 16 overweight men and women lost an average of 17 pounds. They took the green (unroasted) coffee beans in supplement form and, for comparison, took a placebo at a different point of the study.

They did not change their diet. They were physically active. They lost more while on the supplements than while on placebo. They lost the most when on the higher of two coffee bean doses.

"We don't think it's the caffeine in it," says Joe Vinson, PhD, professor of chemistry at the University of Scranton.

He presented the findings Tuesday at the annual meeting of the American Chemical Society in San Diego. The results echo those of earlier studies, but Vinson used a larger dose of the green coffee beans.

The study included people 22 to 46 years old. It was funded by Applied Food Sciences, which makes the green coffee antioxidant supplement.

The results are interesting, but the study was small and short, so further study is needed, says Connie Diekman, RD, director of university nutrition at Washington University in St. Louis. She reviewed the findings for WebMD.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120328/...eight-loss

Increase In Visceral Fat During Menopause Linked With Testosterone
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...161144.htm

In middle-aged women, visceral fat, more commonly called belly fat, is known to be a significant risk factor for cardiovascular disease, but what causes visceral fat to accumulate?

The culprit is likely not age, as is commonly believed, but the change in hormone balance that occurs during the menopause transition, according to researchers at Rush University Medical Center.
"Of all the factors we analyzed that could possibly account for the increase in visceral fat during this period in a woman's lifetime, levels of active testosterone proved to be the one most closely linked with abdominal fat," said Imke Janssen, PhD, assistant professor of preventive medicine and the study's lead investigator.
The study, which has been published early online in the medical journal Obesity, included 359 women in menopausal transition, ages 42 to 60, about half black and half white. Fat in the abdominal cavity was measured with CT scans, a more precise measurement than waist size. Blood tests were used to assess levels of testosterone and estradiol (the main form of estrogen). Medical histories covered other health factors possibly linked with an increase in visceral fat.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8070]

Screening of herbal extracts for activation of the human peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17152989

The peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors play a pivotal role in metazoan lipid and glucose homeostasis. Synthetic activators of PPARalpha (fibrates) and PPARgamma (glitazones) are therefore widely used for treatment of dislipidemia and diabetes, respectively. There is growing evidence for herbal compounds to influence nuclear receptor signalling e.g. the PPARs. We recently reported carnosic acid and carnosol, both being diterpenes found in the labiate herbs sage and rosemary, to be activators of PPARgamma. The subsequent screening of a variety of ethanolic extracts, obtained from traditionally used herbs, for PPAR activation, led to an exceptionally high hit rate. Among 52 extracts nearly the half significantly activated PPARgamma and 14 activated PPARalpha in addition, whereas three of them were pan-PPAR activators, which also activated PPARdelta. The most active extracts, for which a concentration dependent effect could be shown, were the extracts of Alisma plantago aquatica (ze xie/european waterplantain), Catharanthus roseus (madagascar periwinkle), Acorus calamus (sweet calamus), Euphorbia balsamifera (balsam spurge), Jatropha curcas (barbados nut), Origanum majorana (marjoram), Zea mays (corn silk), Capsicum frutescens (chilli) and Urtica dioica (stinging nettle). The results of the present study provide a possible rationale for the traditional use of many herbs as antidiabetics.

Glitazones for type 2 diabetes
http://www.nps.org.au/conditions/hormone...glitazones

Anti-diabetic medication

Drugs used in diabetes treat diabetes mellitus by lowering glucose levels in the blood. With the exceptions of insulin, exenatide, liraglutide and pramlintide, all are administered orally and are thus also called oral hypoglycemic agents or oral antihyperglycemic agents. There are different classes of anti-diabetic drugs, and their selection depends on the nature of the diabetes, age and situation of the person, as well as other factors.

Diabetes mellitus type 1 is a disease caused by the lack of insulin. Insulin must be used in Type I, which must be injected.

Diabetes mellitus type 2 is a disease of insulin resistance by cells. Type 2 diabetes mellitus is the most common type of diabetes. Treatments include (1) agents that increase the amount of insulin secreted by the pancreas, (2) agents that increase the sensitivity of target organs to insulin, and (3) agents that decrease the rate at which glucose is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract.

Several groups of drugs, mostly given by mouth, are effective in Type II, often in combination. The therapeutic combination in Type II may include insulin, not necessarily because oral agents have failed completely, but in search of a desired combination of effects. The great advantage of injected insulin in Type II is that a well-educated patient can adjust the dose, or even take additional doses, when blood glucose levels measured by the patient, usually with a simple meter, as needed by the measured amount of sugar in the blood.

http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-diabetic_drug

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon