Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Good news

(05-06-2014, 04:04 PM)Karren Wrote:  Actually Medicare is just insurance.... you still need to buy additional coverage to fill in all the gaps Medicare has... and you have to be 65 so how many are going to wait till then to transition just to get insurance to pay a portion of it? the law says you have to have health care insurance to anyway.... and if you want to change teams then start saving your quarters....

Of course, everything you say is true, Karren, but I suspect that now that Medicare is going to cover the cost of SRS for some people, private insurance will eventually follow. The problem I see is that Medicare will only reimburse a portion of the real cost of the surgery. The rest will have to be made up by increasing the cost to others one way or another.
Some transsexual health providers may decide not to accept Medicare for that reason. Is it fair for the younger transsexuals to subsidize the cost of surgery for seniors? The cost is already out of reach for so many.

Clara Smile

(05-06-2014, 05:21 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  * * *
Of course, everything you say is true, Karren, but I suspect that now that Medicare is going to cover the cost of SRS for some people, private insurance will eventually follow. The problem I see is that Medicare will only reimburse a portion of the real cost of the surgery. The rest will have to be made up by increasing the cost to others one way or another.
Some transsexual health providers may decide not to accept Medicare for that reason. Is it fair for the younger transsexuals to subsidize the cost of surgery for seniors? The cost is already out of reach for so many.

Clara Smile

All insurance involves spreading costs through the insured pool. Younger taxpayers already "subsidize" health care costs for seniors, and this would be just one more cost that gets spread. However, because SRS for seniors is so rare when compared to the size of the Medicare and taxpayer universe, the effect should be de minimis. (I am not taking a pro or con position.) The effect on providers' willingness to accept medicare patients likewise should be very small. Many providers already decline to serve medicare-only patients, regardless of whether SRS or other transgender services are covered.

(05-06-2014, 06:05 PM)spanky Wrote:  
(05-06-2014, 05:21 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  * * *

Clara Smile

All insurance involves spreading costs through the insured pool. Younger taxpayers already "subsidize" health care costs for seniors, and this would be just one more cost that gets spread. However, because SRS for seniors is so rare when compared to the size of the Medicare and taxpayer universe, the effect should be de minimis. (I am not taking a pro or con position.) The effect on providers' willingness to accept medicare patients likewise should be very small. Many providers already decline to serve medicare-only patients, regardless of whether SRS or other transgender services are covered.

The policy change is good news for any senior looking at the possibility of full transition including surgery. I, potentially, could be a beneficiary of the new policy since I'm covered under Medicare, although I don't anticipate going that far. When I have I said that before...Rolleyes. I do think that anyone approaching retirement age would have a huge financial incentive to hold off on SRS until age 65, and many younger TS stay uncut for years after transitioning because the expense is not manageable.

We'll have to see how it works out in practice.

Clara

(01-06-2014, 02:04 AM)AnnieBL Wrote:  They were as deserving of any relevant medical or psychiatric help available as anyone else.

Your train of thought is logical enough, but again we come to where we draw lines.

Does everyone deserve everything? Just for breathing?

Maybe I'd go suicidal if I don't get to live in a better neighborhood and drive a nicer car. Does that mean I deserve those things, so I won't kill myself?

We simply cannot prevent all untimely deaths, but we will assuredly kill our societies and public coffers in our quest to do so.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon