Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

My bad experience......(Long Story)

I do not post a whole lot, but I thought I would share this. I am not totally clear on what happened in this, but it is a good cautionary tale.

I had been on and off of PM for about 8-9 months now. I have only been taking PM and my max doses were 1000mg a day. I usually take it for a couple months and take a couple week break in between. I have been pretty sensitive to PM as I might be close to a small B I think.

Ok, so come last week I had been back on PM for about a week and a half and only taking 500mg at night. i got the usual tingles and pains when starting up. So I decided to add some Reishi to the mix. On a Wednesday I started with the recommendation on the bottle, which is 2 capsules 2 times a day. So I took 2 in the evening, 1 in the morning on thursday, and 2 more in the evening on thurs. This is while still taking my PM dose. Well on thursday and friday I had really really light colored stool and was pretty alarmed. Knowing it could be a number of things like diet or even liver damage I stopped the Reishi. I started developing discomfort in my right upper abdomen over the weekend, and come monday I was miserable. Ringing in the ears, nausea, lethargic, chill/sweats, etc. I thought for sure I had a drug induced liver injury (DILI) after spending hours researching Google lol. I swear, anytime you are feeling bad and want to make it worse, look it up on google! So I got into my doctor on Tues., she did an abdominal exam and I was a little tender over my gallbladder. She ordered some liver enzyme tests and scheduled an ultrasound on Thurs. I didn't mention that I was taking PM cause I was just not ready to share that. Even though, when I took off my shirt to have her listen to my lungs, I felt very naked with my little boobs hanging out LOL. She didn't say a word about it though.

Now through the week I had gotten better every day since Monday, it was gradually better, but I am 100% Today. I got my test results back and everything is normal! No sign of liver impairment, gallstones, blockages, toxicity, nothing! I had a conversation with my doctor who said it was probably the Reishi and that I am probably pretty sensitive to it. I got to thinking and was like, "why did it start out with so many of the reishi just because the bottle said to do so?", knowing I am sensitive to other herbals. I probably should have taken just 1 to see how I react.

Now....I was looking at my symptoms and a lot of them seemed to be similar to estrogen dominance. Maybe some more experienced members could chime in on this. Since there was no apparent liver malfunction or damage, could I have driven myself into dominance?

I was miserable that monday, but things progressively subsided since.

Hmmm, then I read this....

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-6810/Avoi...-Them.html

Being that I am not a huge detoxer. I wonder if I actually had that. GAH! either way, I am taking a break from everything and refocusing efforts on a healthier and cleaner diet.

(07-06-2014, 04:49 PM)wantingmore72 Wrote:  Now through the week I had gotten better every day since Monday, it was gradually better, but I am 100% Today. I got my test results back and everything is normal! No sign of liver impairment, gallstones, blockages, toxicity, nothing! I had a conversation with my doctor who said it was probably the Reishi and that I am probably pretty sensitive to it. I got to thinking and was like, "why did it start out with so many of the reishi just because the bottle said to do so?", knowing I am sensitive to other herbals. I probably should have taken just 1 to see how I react.

Now....I was looking at my symptoms and a lot of them seemed to be similar to estrogen dominance. Maybe some more experienced members could chime in on this. Since there was no apparent liver malfunction or damage, could I have driven myself into dominance?

I was miserable that monday, but things progressively subsided since.

Glad to hear your ok wantingmore, Reishi is a fungus, so you could have had reaction from it. Reishi has side effects, and an upset stomach along with allergies can happen, Other factors to consider when adding new supplements are meds we take, age, allergies, overall health, etc. Staring at the lowest dose despite what the recommendation is a cautionary tale right?.

I don't think 1000mg of PM would cause dominance?, however your sensitivity can be an indicator to proceed slowly in the future if you decide to continue with NBE.

Doing a cleanse is a good idea.

Good luck Wink

I had a similar ailment during winter, turned out to have been a toxic buildup in my body of the pesticides used on coffee.

Taking a month long break from coffee then Switching to organic eliminated the symptoms.

Lenneth, the more I think about it, the more I am thinking that is what it is. I was kind of stumped when all my tests came back normal. I really am not much of a detoxer, so the amount of Reishi I took could have detoxed me too fast. I actually went ahead and ordered 5 lbs. of Diatomaceous earth to keep my "innards" a little cleaner.

(08-06-2014, 02:32 PM)wantingmore72 Wrote:  Lenneth, the more I think about it, the more I am thinking that is what it is. I was kind of stumped when all my tests came back normal. I really am not much of a detoxer, so the amount of Reishi I took could have detoxed me too fast. I actually went ahead and ordered 5 lbs. of Diatomaceous earth to keep my "innards" a little cleaner.

Try this instead, https://www.livingclayco.com/

Yeah I had heard of the clay. I already ordered some diatomaceous earth because I can start slow and build up with it. Mot sure if i will run out of that soon lol. Might try the clay if I am not happy with DE.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon