Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Any quick ways to gain weight??

Ella, this is so cool! I am now looking into adding back a few pounds myself. The problem is doing so while making sure the new weight goes where I want it to go! Lol!

one word : McDonalds

hahhha

Eating healthy fats like avocados, coconut (oil, butter, milk, etc.), nuts and nut butters, seeds, olive oil, etc.

Portion: if you can stomach it, eat bigger portions, or eat small portions a few times a day (more than 3 meals a day). Portion control is a big problem westerners have with why people gain so much weight (as well as poor diets containing junk food, etc.).

Snack a lot (healthy snacks like nuts, fruit, yogurt, etc.). Reach for fruit juice instead of water when you are thirsty (more calories). Try to avoid the fake, sugary kind of fruit juice though as it is not healthy.

I think a way to do it that doesn't force you to change your diet or lifestyle too much is to try and add nuts and seeds and these healthy fatty things to your food. For example, add nut butters (i love almond butter) to your smoothies, as well as a tbsp of oil like flax seed oil or coconut oil. drizzle olive oil and flax seed oil on your savoury dishes (1 tbsp often has something like 80 calories!). Sprinkle nuts and seeds in your salads, oatmeal and cereal. add nuts and seeds when you bake.

I keep meaning to eat an avocado a day as well (and eaten drizzled with some olive oil) but I keep forgetting. I looooove avocado Smile
Also am trying to have a protein smoothie a day but I keep forgetting!

If you are gluten free, what you avoid is: wheat and any wheat product (this would include wheat pasta, durum semolina (commonly used to make wheat pasta), cream of wheat, wheat germ, wheat bran, etc.), barley, kamut and spelt (both are ancient forms of wheat, although they have less gluten), rye, oats (due to cross contamination if you are really concerned with gluten.. but you can also buy GF oats, like Bob's red Mill (check the label to make sure it says GF since they also sell regular oats, I think). Grains you can eat: corn and corn products (corn tortillas, polenta, grits, corn chips, etc.), quinoa, millet, rice and rice products (there are a lot of GF products on the market containing rice, like rice pasta), amaranth, kasha, buckwheat, etc.. there is tons! Smile It is also easy to find gluten free products in natural food stores (and even supermarkets are stocking them now), liek GF bread, waffles, cake, etc.. but beware that they often contain a lot of empty calories as they can be heavy on the starches (corn starch, potato starch, tapicoa starch, etc.). You can read labels and try to find GF bread that at least contains some healthier ingredients like flours made from some of the other types of grains such as quinoa, chickpea, sorghum, brown rice, etc.

It is important to eat grains, and not just eat veggies and meat, especially if you want to gain some weight. You need fiber and carbs in your diet (though you can get some from veggies and fruit too).

Don't overdo the protein powder unless you are: vegetarian or vegan (then you don't have to worry a bit), or you work out regularly. Most westerners get way too much protein in their diets and this is not good for you. You can add a scoop to your smoothies and shakes, sprinkle it on other food too, or in baked goods (or in raw "baked" goods Smile)

Also, exercise is fantastic and does help you gain weight, but this is usually through muscle mass, and not fat. Be aware that exercise can make you lose overall body fat, even though your weight may increase due to muscle gain. This is why just weighing yourself isn't something I think we should care about.. weight is a very limited way to determine your health level or how you want to look. I think this is a great thing though.. but not good for the boobs(!). However, hopefully NBE can help to counteract that issue!

(17-08-2014, 01:49 PM)Samantha Rogers Wrote:  Ella, this is so cool! I am now looking into adding back a few pounds myself. The problem is doing so while making sure the new weight goes where I want it to go! Lol!

Sammie I found a new weight gain protein powder. It doesn't seem too artificial and claims to be healthy and won some awards including a vitamin 2013 award so il let you know how I go. Im waiting for it to arrive in a few days.
As you say, how you control "where" the extra weight goes is a whole other story but for the most part I did have a small pooch I had to suck in with the extra kg's but I it did distribute up top too. One would think if you are doing all the circulation exercises "up top" then it would carry nutrients up there from what you are eating and hopefully distribute the weight evenly - time will tell... Cool

(17-08-2014, 06:30 PM)ruch Wrote:  Eating healthy fats like avocados, coconut (oil, butter, milk, etc.), nuts and nut butters, seeds, olive oil, etc.

Portion: if you can stomach it, eat bigger portions, or eat small portions a few times a day (more than 3 meals a day). Portion control is a big problem westerners have with why people gain so much weight (as well as poor diets containing junk food, etc.).

Snack a lot (healthy snacks like nuts, fruit, yogurt, etc.). Reach for fruit juice instead of water when you are thirsty (more calories). Try to avoid the fake, sugary kind of fruit juice though as it is not healthy.

I think a way to do it that doesn't force you to change your diet or lifestyle too much is to try and add nuts and seeds and these healthy fatty things to your food. For example, add nut butters (i love almond butter) to your smoothies, as well as a tbsp of oil like flax seed oil or coconut oil. drizzle olive oil and flax seed oil on your savoury dishes (1 tbsp often has something like 80 calories!). Sprinkle nuts and seeds in your salads, oatmeal and cereal. add nuts and seeds when you bake.

I keep meaning to eat an avocado a day as well (and eaten drizzled with some olive oil) but I keep forgetting. I looooove avocado Smile
Also am trying to have a protein smoothie a day but I keep forgetting!

If you are gluten free, what you avoid is: wheat and any wheat product (this would include wheat pasta, durum semolina (commonly used to make wheat pasta), cream of wheat, wheat germ, wheat bran, etc.), barley, kamut and spelt (both are ancient forms of wheat, although they have less gluten), rye, oats (due to cross contamination if you are really concerned with gluten.. but you can also buy GF oats, like Bob's red Mill (check the label to make sure it says GF since they also sell regular oats, I think). Grains you can eat: corn and corn products (corn tortillas, polenta, grits, corn chips, etc.), quinoa, millet, rice and rice products (there are a lot of GF products on the market containing rice, like rice pasta), amaranth, kasha, buckwheat, etc.. there is tons! Smile It is also easy to find gluten free products in natural food stores (and even supermarkets are stocking them now), liek GF bread, waffles, cake, etc.. but beware that they often contain a lot of empty calories as they can be heavy on the starches (corn starch, potato starch, tapicoa starch, etc.). You can read labels and try to find GF bread that at least contains some healthier ingredients like flours made from some of the other types of grains such as quinoa, chickpea, sorghum, brown rice, etc.

It is important to eat grains, and not just eat veggies and meat, especially if you want to gain some weight. You need fiber and carbs in your diet (though you can get some from veggies and fruit too).

Don't overdo the protein powder unless you are: vegetarian or vegan (then you don't have to worry a bit), or you work out regularly. Most westerners get way too much protein in their diets and this is not good for you. You can add a scoop to your smoothies and shakes, sprinkle it on other food too, or in baked goods (or in raw "baked" goods Smile)

Also, exercise is fantastic and does help you gain weight, but this is usually through muscle mass, and not fat. Be aware that exercise can make you lose overall body fat, even though your weight may increase due to muscle gain. This is why just weighing yourself isn't something I think we should care about.. weight is a very limited way to determine your health level or how you want to look. I think this is a great thing though.. but not good for the boobs(!). However, hopefully NBE can help to counteract that issue!
That's Ruch, i had a food allergy test and am surprisingly ok with wheat gluten etc just not dairy.
I was advised to limit my "grains" intake and i am completely ignorant as to what contains what so il jot down all you have said. Irrespective id like to avoid wheat/gluten .
I have brought lots of nuts too, sunflower, almonds, flax etc and LOVE avocado and olive oil too.

Do you have any suggestions for substituting yoghurt?
I LOVE yoghurt but figure its all dairy based?

Thanks Lovely, noted your suggestions too Smile

Squireel - prefer KFC Big Grin

There is soy yogurt you can try, and I have seen other non-dairy milk based yogurts. I don't like them as much but I can eat dairy.. but if you can't, you can try one of those. They will have them at natural food stores for sure.

FIRST, (this is what the nutritionist did for me) You need to eat like you normally do for a week & write down EVERYTHING you eat and drink. Then at the end of each day, find out how many calories you consumed that day. You can either do a google search for each thing like "how many calories in a bowl of broccoli cheese soup", or make it easier on yourself and download a calorie counter app. I like MyFitnessPal the best. They have a ton of foods in there that tell you how many calories, protein & carbs are in each thing you eat and it tracks all of those for you on a daily & weekly basis. At the end of the week, find out the average amount of calories you currently consume on a daily basis. (Add up all the daily totals and divide by 7 days). Now comes the fun part. Lol

To make your life easier, you need to continue using the calorie counter app. Trust me. I thought I was eating a ton & couldn't figure out why I wasn't gaining until I started tracking my calories & realized I was eating enough to maintain but not enough to gain. After that week of tracking, You need to start by adding about 700 calories a day to your current average caloric intake. And no, don't just eat a bunch of junk food and crap food, or you WILL feel like crap. You are what you eat. But also don't be scared of butter and whole milk and ice cream and some other fattening not-so-great for you things either. Eat healthy, but add in things that will help add pounds.

Some of the best weight gain foods are: lots of protein. I can't stress that enough! Chicken, eggs, beans, fish, Ham, turkey, lean red meat, ect. Also bananas, mango, pineapple, papaya, avacados, oatmeal, whole wheat bread, granola, whole milk, chocolate milk, cream, 1/2 and 1/2, ice cream, oils (like olive oil, flaxseed oil, sweet almond oil, etc), nuts, grains & brown rice, pasta, potatoes, natural nut butters (peanut butter, almond butter, etc), cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, legumes, sunflower seeds (or oil), pumpkin seeds.

You can make your own weight gainer at home that's a hell of a lot healthier than store bought weight gainers. You can google "make your own weight gain shake" to find different recipes. But this is generally what I mix together: vanilla whey protein ISOLATE (isolate so you don't bloat), 1/2 banana, some honey, whole milk, throw some frozen or fresh mixed berries in there & some frozen or fresh kale or spinach, a tablespoon of olive oil (or similar), some ground almonds (almond meal), some dry rolled oats or ground up Quinoa, ground flax (flaxseed meal), maybe throw some alfalfa sprouts in there or 1/2 a little packet of those "perfect food raw green super food" packets & I just started adding brown rice flour (finely ground whole grain brown rice). Maybe add some chocolate syrup if I don't throw veggies in there. All of those can be found at Whole Foods, Sprouts, and even Kroger and Target started selling the flaxseed meal & almond meal and most of everything I use.

(11-11-2014, 06:43 PM)Charlie_girl Wrote:  Some of the best weight gain foods are: lots of protein. I can't stress that enough! Chicken, eggs, beans, fish, Ham, turkey, lean red meat, ect. Also bananas, mango, pineapple, papaya, avacados, oatmeal, whole wheat bread, granola, whole milk, chocolate milk, cream, 1/2 and 1/2, ice cream, oils (like olive oil, flaxseed oil, sweet almond oil, etc), nuts, grains & brown rice, pasta, potatoes, natural nut butters (peanut butter, almond butter, etc), cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, legumes, sunflower seeds (or oil), pumpkin seeds.

You can make your own weight gainer at home that's a hell of a lot healthier than store bought weight gainers. You can google "make your own weight gain shake" to find different recipes. But this is generally what I mix together: vanilla whey protein ISOLATE (isolate so you don't bloat), 1/2 banana, some honey, whole milk, throw some frozen or fresh mixed berries in there & some frozen or fresh kale or spinach, a tablespoon of olive oil (or similar), some ground almonds (almond meal), some dry rolled oats or ground up Quinoa, ground flax (flaxseed meal), maybe throw some alfalfa sprouts in there or 1/2 a little packet of those "perfect food raw green super food" packets & I just started adding brown rice flour (finely ground whole grain brown rice). Maybe add some chocolate syrup if I don't throw veggies in there. All of those can be found at Whole Foods, Sprouts, and even Kroger and Target started selling the flaxseed meal & almond meal and most of everything I use.

Yeh I wondered what you had written but it was blank lol thanks heaps. im going to read now! Smile

**Weight training is your best friend for gaining weight. Not even funny. Workout 3 times a week only with a day break in between. No cardio right now, only weights. Start off by warming up on a stationary bike or glider or stair master for 3-5 minutes to get your muscles warmed up. Stretch for about 5 min. Then hit the weights. High weight, low reps. But start slow for the first couple of weeks then step it up. Make sure you're using correct form with each exercise (you can find videos online or on bodybuilder.com. So let's say you're doing squats. Make sure to make it heavy enough to where you have to really push yourself to get to 8-10 reps. Any lighter and you're not gaining weight, you're toning your body. Don't do more than 8-10 reps with any exersize & make sure you have enough weight with each exersize. Stretch after. Don't worry, you're not going to look like a muscle builder, don't be scared of weights Smile

**Protein, food, protein, water and more protein! The BEST thing to do (and easiest way to get in all your calories), is to eat 60% of your daily calories within 2 hours of your workout. So snack, drink a protein shake, workout, eat a bar, then go eat a high calorie meal. Eat 3 high calorie meals a day plus 1-2 protein shakes and/or weight gain shakes and maybe a snack at night. I weigh about 107 lbs and I drink 85-100 ounces of water a day, try to eat 100 oz of protein a day and I take in a LOT of calories. I aim for 3800 calories daily right now since I have a fast metabolism, chase after a 2 year old, workout AND my job has me running around a lot & burning calories. It takes about a week or two to get used to all the food, but it'll get easier. And trust me when I say, meal prep makes your life easier too. So one day a week make a bunch of food and store it in the fridge or freezer so you can just grab and go for the week.

**After 2 weeks of adding 700 more calories to your daily diet, go ahead and bump that 700 up to 900 or 1,000 extra calories and stay there for about 3 weeks. Then if you'd like, or if you're not gaining fast enough, bump it up more.

**You will gain an average of 1-2 lbs a week. I know, that sounds depressing. But it happens faster than you think. And unless you're gaining a bunch of fat, you typically can't gain more than 3 lbs a week.

It is all about dedication & persistence, especially in the beginning. If you bust your butt for 3 weeks then slack for a week, you just set yourself back. But the longer you train & eat surplus calories, the longer it takes to loose gains. So if you do good for 5 months then go on a week vacation, you'll be fine.

Tracking calories sucks, but it does pay off & it makes gaining weight a lot easier. After you get the hang of it, you won't need to count calories anymore. Since I'm trying to gain a little fat as well as muscle, I also just swallow a tablespoon of avacado oil or something similar maybe once or twice a day and throw Ice cream in my shakes sometimes.

Once you get the hang of it, it gets easier Smile You can also check out meal plans and exersize plans for gaining weight on bodybuilder.com. It's not just for bodybuilding, and you can also just do searches on there (and Google) for "women gain weight" or something similar.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon