Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Feminine/Non-Feminine User Name

Hello all.

Maybe it's my imagination, but it just struck me that there aren't a lot of regular posters who are bio-male and don't have a feminine user name. Do you think the choice of a feminine user name or lack of is an indicator of our perception of our gender or how far we want to go with feminizing ourselves?

aye. i prefer 'non-conforming female' to bio-male lol

Yes.Smile

Interesting question. My user name has been my default name since the nineties. For me it's me. I didn't choose a new name because no matter where I fall in the gender spectrum I'm still me.

I would guess that concerns with online security and anonymity would play a part in name choice.

If I had joined under a male name it would have been under a pseudonym. When I joined I had only ever told my ex fiancée about my female side and the though of being "outed" or "caught out" terrified me.

Originally I chose Denita because I like how it sounds and I had a friend with the same name that I admire for her vivaciousness, passion and outlook on life.

This is really weird but I'm finding it really difficult thinking about Denita in the third person. As a user name.

This question has helped me realise something. I had my male side and female side but could not show my female side because again, gender role, society, etc and I did not want to upset family or get caught out. Now I don't have to hide it, I don't have male or female sides. Both sides are mixed now, so it might have been a user name to give expression of my feminine side to start off with but now it's me and it is now a better expression of who I am than my real name is.

Denita

Yes. I see the choice of a user name and avatar as being an important aspect of one's on-line presentation that affects how others view that person, and how he/she views him/herself. Speaking for myself, if a forum member has a non-feminine username and avatar, I tend to assume that the poster does not have or acknowledge a feminine gender identity. That, in turn, will influence the way I interact with that member on-line, for example by responding to a poster less freely and personably. It's not intentional really; more like the way you'd react to a person wearing a mask.

Clara

I think I just wanted to fit in as female and I also was thinking of not letting the cat out of the bag unless I absolutely had to, but, mostly, just wanted to be "seen" as female.
At my last job, at least one guy there, when I'd do something good, he'd say, "Good girl!!" Of course, he was trying to insult me, but, it didn't matter at all to me, because it was kinda NICE being called a girl!! Inside, I AM a girl!! Lol. So, thanks for the compliment, Dan!!

(16-08-2014, 05:38 AM)ClaraKay Wrote:  Yes. I see the choice of a user name and avatar as being an important aspect of one's on-line presentation that affects how others view that person, and how he/she views him/herself. Speaking for myself, if a forum member has a non-feminine username and avatar, I tend to assume that the poster does not have or acknowledge a feminine gender identity. That, in turn, will influence the way I interact with that member on-line, for example by responding to a poster less freely and personably. It's not intentional really; more like the way you'd react to a person wearing a mask.

Clara

Interesting. My user name is gender neutral but my avatar has always been female. If I were to use a female user name, I would pick a name like Jade or Nova. Ironically enough, the cover I have for my checkbook has the word 'Nova' on it, though it's in reference to the astronomy term rather than the name. Jade bears some resemblance both to my given name and my birthstone.

Being born in a Pennsylvania Dutch community in Ohio.
"Eli Asa Austin" it seemed only fitting to pick Elisa to reflect
my female nature.
And no I do not wear a bonnet or own a buggy.

Never thought of it. IaBoy has been my user name for 95% of were I travel on the Internet. I really haven't thought of a "feminine" user name. I just want breast's, not to turn total fem.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon