Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Born This Way

(¯`’·¸¸Born This Way¸¸.·”´¯)
\¸¸.·”´¯¯`’·¸¸¸.·”´¯¯`’·¸¸¸.·”´¯¯`’·¸¸¸.·”´¯¯`’·¸¸¸.·”´¯¯`’·¸¸/

(10-09-2014, 01:04 PM)Jaded Jade Wrote:  It might be nice to start a "Born This Way" thread with science and studies partially for interesting reading, but also to have an archive of references to enlighten others.

- JJ

So here is a collection of links about physical and mental differences in Male to Female Transsexuals.

These links are not meant for self diagnosis because transsexualism is extremely complicated and a huge amount of research still needs to be done.

Androgen Receptor Repeat Length Polymorphism Associated with Male-to-Female Transsexualism.
Human Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Prince Henry's Institute of Medical Research, Melbourne, Australia.

Quote:A significant association was identified between transsexualism and the AR allele, with transsexuals having longer AR repeat lengths than non-transsexual male control subjects (p = .04)
Quote:This study provides evidence that male gender identity might be partly mediated through the androgen receptor.

Regional gray matter variation in male-to-female transsexualism.
Department of Neurology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095-7334, USA.

Quote:MTF transsexuals show a significantly larger volume of regional gray matter in the right putamen compared to men. These findings provide new evidence that transsexualism is associated with distinct cerebral pattern, which supports the assumption that brain anatomy plays a role in gender identity.

Sex differences in verbal fluency during adolescence: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study in gender dysphoric and control boys and girls.
VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Quote:The better performance of MtFs is consistent with our expectation that MtFs perform better on female-favoring tasks. Moreover, they produced more words than girls and FtMs. Even though a trendwise linear increase in brain activity between the four groups only approached significance, it may indicate differences in individuals with gender identity disorder compared to their birth sex.

Sexual differentiation of the brain and behavior.
Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience, Meibergdreef 47, 1105 BA Amsterdam ZO, The Netherlands

Quote:During the intrauterine period the human brain develops in the male direction via direct action of a boy's testosterone, and in the female direction through the absence of this hormone in a girl. During this time, gender identity (the feeling of being a man or a woman), sexual orientation, and other behaviors are programmed. As sexual differentiation of the genitals takes places in the first 2 months of pregnancy, and sexual differentiation of the brain starts during the second half of pregnancy, these two processes may be influenced independently of each other, resulting in transsexuality. This also means that in the case of an ambiguous gender at birth, the degree of masculinization of the genitals may not reflect the same degree of masculinization of the brain. Differences in brain structures and brain functions have been found that are related to sexual orientation and gender.

The microstructure of white matter in male to female transsexuals before cross-sex hormonal treatment. A DTI study.
Departamento de Psicobiología, UNED, C/ Juan del Rosal 10, 28040 Madrid, Spain

Quote:Our results show that the white matter microstructure pattern in untreated MtF transsexuals falls halfway between the pattern of male and female controls. The nature of these differences suggests that some fasciculi do not complete the masculinization process in MtF transsexuals during brain development.

Finger Length Ratios in Serbian Transsexuals.
Clinic for Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases, Clinical Centre of Serbia, Faculty of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Dr Subotića 13, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia

Quote:Transsexualism in humans is biological in origin. Our findings support a biological etiology of MFT implicating decreased prenatal androgen exposure in MFT. 2D : 4D could be potentially used as a marker for prenatal androgen exposure.

I will post more as and when I find it.

Please feel free to add your own findings.

Denita

Wow Denita,
You must have spent many hours searching and reading to produce this much info.
It's a lot to absorb and I think it will be a challenge for some to contribute. Well done dear friend.

Hugs
Heather X

(12-09-2014, 11:56 PM)Heather-H Wrote:  Wow Denita,
You must have spent many hours searching and reading to produce this much info.
It's a lot to absorb and I think it will be a challenge for some to contribute. Well done dear friend.

Hugs
Heather X

Thanks Heather,
I have to admit though, I sort of cheated. I did the research ages ago and had them posted on another thread. I just copied them across. lol.

I realise it may be a challenge for some to understand the research papers. I had to learn a load to be able to understand them and I'm still learning. Big Grin I constantly have to look up and cross check stuff. I will try to put a conclusion up for each so there no need to read the whole paper unless you want too.

Denita

Yes I was born and I am this way Tongue

While its interesting Im not sure it ultimately really helps anything at all...

How would you feel for instance if some "transexual gene" was discovered??? Would you be relieved if you had it because it would explain why your not "normal"??? Yea I could see that because then you could say "See this IS normal for ME!!!"

What if you had it and didnt want it??? Well then I guess it sucks to be you... Maybe "they" can come up with a "cure" for this unfortunate "defect"... POOR THING, "born that way"....

What if you didnt have it but had some or all of the traits associated with this "defect"??? Well then you'd definitely be "different" and probably not in a "good" way....

Just my thoughts on that....

(16-09-2014, 09:46 PM)EvaMarie Wrote:  Yes I was born and I am this way Tongue

While its interesting Im not sure it ultimately really helps anything at all...

How would you feel for instance if some "transexual gene" was discovered??? Would you be relieved if you had it because it would explain why your not "normal"??? Yea I could see that because then you could say "See this IS normal for ME!!!"

What if you had it and didnt want it??? Well then I guess it sucks to be you... Maybe "they" can come up with a "cure" for this unfortunate "defect"... POOR THING, "born that way"....

What if you didnt have it but had some or all of the traits associated with this "defect"??? Well then you'd definitely be "different" and probably not in a "good" way....

Just my thoughts on that....

Yes I understand what your saying, but for me the evidence that there are physical and measurable differences in MtF transsexuals is reassuring and it is helping my acceptance. For me the more I learn about transsexualism the easier it is for me to except myself.

For over 30 years I have listened to the social excepted view that I'm mentally sick and some type of freak because I'm physically a guy but I feel like a woman. The chance that I might have a biological reason for how I feel helps me defend my internal feelings.

I also think that it's difficult finding good information, so if I find something useful then I share it because it may help someone else.

I am still a work in progress and hope to be able, one day, to say "Yes I was born and I am this way Tongue"

Denita

Sorry it was nothing personal... Those are questions Ive directed to myself and my feelings on it and I guess I should have made that clearer... It was a bit insensitive though, again no offense was intended... Im definitely a "work in progress" too...

(17-09-2014, 03:07 AM)EvaMarie Wrote:  Sorry it was nothing personal... Those are questions Ive directed to myself and my feelings on it and I guess I should have made that clearer... It was a bit insensitive though, again no offense was intended... Im definitely a "work in progress" too...

Eh, I would've said the same. The reason I'm transsexual is not important to me.

I just live the way that makes me happy, and everything else is secondary. To each their own though!!

To each there own. While the concern of some group of jerks eventually using the information in a bad way is valid, for me the value of some objective emperical science is high.

To one degree, I find some validation in having some solid evidence that this is not just a choice I have made, but rather part of me down to the hardware and firmware. Part of the reason why I really value it is because for me having some non-subjctive referance points is strongly validating to me.

And to another, there are accouple family members that if I ever have to come out on this part of myself to them, having a fist full of objective science might help. Realistically it might not either, but it is nice to have anyway.

And I am with Denita on this, the "Born This Way" science and research-y stuff is partially about the solid PROVABLE validation that I am not crazy, and that I have not just a choice I have made. That it is not a flight of fancy, fantasy, or fetish. It is real and valid NATURAL human variation.

More than all this it is science on my side that clearly says anyone that has a problem with me or trans issues is wrong. That it is not a matter of opinion. They are the bigot, and the problem is with them. And that as time rolls forward this sort of research being done will hopefully add to legal and cultural victories. Smile

- Jaded Jade (Please excuse any spelling errors, this terminal doesn't spellcheck for some reason...)

(17-09-2014, 03:07 AM)EvaMarie Wrote:  Sorry it was nothing personal... Those are questions Ive directed to myself and my feelings on it and I guess I should have made that clearer... It was a bit insensitive though, again no offense was intended... Im definitely a "work in progress" too...

Eva Marie,

Thank you, but you've got nothing to be sorry for, I did not take your post personally. I too have asked myself those questions, I still do.

Would I take the "cure" if one was offered? I would need a lot more information before make a decision!!! lol. Big Grin

I was trying to show from my point of view why this information is useful to some.

Denita

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon