Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Words that hurt

I liked this... a lot.

http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2014/...ber-t-word

"That’s when it hit me: As hard as it might be sometimes to be gay in America, it is unfathomably more difficult to be trans." Cyd Zeigler

He's right. But today I feel 10 feet tall and bullet proof so go ahead, bring it! I'm tough enough. I fight like a girl! ...Ya'll got my back??? Of course ya do! ...I couldn't be happier to be up to my chest in this with all of you!!! Love ya!

I have said to my therapist who is gay that I wished that I was just gay and that it would be so much easier. I'm sure that several people that know me think that I'm gay because I have never been married. Me coming out as gay at work would cause no problems and I do not think that it would be as easy to transition at my work.

Thanks for the link, a very interesting read to say the least.

I must admit to never hearing of Fallon Fox before, so after a quick Google search and some reading on her back ground, i`m sitting here with tears streaming down my face ( not a good sign when i`m at work btw ). Tears not of sadness, but pride for her, and looking at what she has accomplished, and is still accomplishing. As my new favorite heroine, I wonder if anyone would notice if I made her my default desktop picture?

I'm going to have a dissenting opinion here. First, I think it's rather divisive to try to pit the struggles of homosexuals against the transgender community. As as much gays have become accepted in society, I think it's worth mentioning that at least in the US over 50% of the states still have a ban on gay marriage.

Second, I'm rather skeptical of whenever the lack of political correctness in language is being used as the primary example of discrimination against a particular group of individuals. The way I see it, legal discrimination and physical violence are far more sobering cases of abuse than words that insensitive jerks or ignorant individuals may use. Most sensible and respectful individuals who use insensitive language I think fall in the latter group and are amenable to changing their language to a certain extent. When dealing with the former group, I think it's more practical to have thick skin and show them that being transgender is a source of strength and pride for you. As much as any of us would like to put an end to hateful speech, I think the importance of having the freedom of speech in public discourse takes precedent. To quote Ron Paul, "We don't have freedom of speech to talk about the weather. We have the first amendment so we can say very controversial things."

Flame, with due respect, I think you missed the point and have now made an attempt to move the conversation into a broader area. The writer was merely pointing out to his gay brethren that in light of the struggles they have encountered with hateful speech, that they might be more sensitive toward the feelings of TG. No where did I see him attempting to pit one against the other at all, but rather to bring them together.
Nor, do I believe the article came close to entering the ugly waters of divisive politics which you suggest, and seem to wish to further with your remarks. This was not about political correctness, or any other cynical catchphrase soundbite, but simply one person pointing out to his readers that their unthinking remarks are likely to cause unnecessary pain to others with whom they have something in common. Is it really necessary to broaden that into a foray into personal political belief?

Samantha. Thank you for the link to such a wonderful and inspiring article.

My thoughts on the "T" word.

Should we be more excepting of "tranny" when it is compared to other forms of abuse? HELL NO!!

It is derogatory, it cheapens and belittles the person it is aimed at. It may be considered "only a name" but it singles an individual out as different from normal and potentially makes them a target. Any acceptance of name calling or derogatory terms provides affirmation that abuse is acceptable and it empowers the abuser to continue or even heighten their abuse.

Is there any good reason to use what is considered an abusive and derogatory term when other acceptable words are available?

Denita

My reaction was a feeling of renewed fellowship with the gay community. I have to say that in the many times I've been to gay clubs, I have been positively received. I haven't encountered any evident prejudice towards me as a TG person, quite the opposite. But I've also been aware that this t word wasn't meant as a positive. It was good to read one gay writers rejection of a word often intended to demean.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon