Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Opinion

Music is my life!! I have 51,000 records, so far.
In `89, I finally bought myself an open reel ape deck!! I've wanted one since the early `70's. I decided a LONG time before that when I get one, I'm going to copy all of my 45's to reel. so, I started doing that in `89. Recorded nearly 200 reels!! Some nights I'd do 2 reels a night!! (7") After about 3 or 4 years of doing it, the deck died and I did a few cassettes instead, then I bought a CD burner and was going to continue on CD and eventually do it all all over again onto CD. I decided to pull one reel out and play some of it to copy to CD. The reel WAS brand new when I started using it!! The first time I tried to play it, the oxide started to melt onto the tape heads and guides!! After the first 5 minutes, this squeal began and got louder and louder until it was all you could hear, then, after 20 minutes, the tape deck couldn't deal with it anymore and stopped!! The oxide had built up so much it was refusing to let the tape run freely anymore!! All that work, hundreds of hours I put into that project and it was a total waste!!!! NOTHING was salvageable!!!! I found a very small pre-amp that I could plug straight into the computer from the turntable and recorded lost of stuff for that project onto a hard drive!! Don't ya know, the turntable went bad on me!! I think one of the hard drives also went very screwy on me, then I got the turntable fixed and the cartridge went bad on me!!!! I guess I'm just not allowed to record!!!! :-( One of these days I'll get a new cartridge and get back to work on that. I still have a few thousand records I've never heard yet!! But, the new computer (it's only a year old and I hardly ever use it!) is starting to give me all kinds of problems on my recording projects!!

(29-09-2014, 07:33 AM)Missed Miss Wrote:  Music is my life!! I have 51,000 records, so far.
In `89, I finally bought myself an open reel ape deck!! I've wanted one since the early `70's. I decided a LONG time before that when I get one, I'm going to copy all of my 45's to reel. so, I started doing that in `89. Recorded nearly 200 reels!! Some nights I'd do 2 reels a night!! (7") After about 3 or 4 years of doing it, the deck died and I did a few cassettes instead, then I bought a CD burner and was going to continue on CD and eventually do it all all over again onto CD. I decided to pull one reel out and play some of it to copy to CD. The reel WAS brand new when I started using it!! The first time I tried to play it, the oxide started to melt onto the tape heads and guides!! After the first 5 minutes, this squeal began and got louder and louder until it was all you could hear, then, after 20 minutes, the tape deck couldn't deal with it anymore and stopped!! The oxide had built up so much it was refusing to let the tape run freely anymore!! All that work, hundreds of hours I put into that project and it was a total waste!!!! NOTHING was salvageable!!!! I found a very small pre-amp that I could plug straight into the computer from the turntable and recorded lost of stuff for that project onto a hard drive!! Don't ya know, the turntable went bad on me!! I think one of the hard drives also went very screwy on me, then I got the turntable fixed and the cartridge went bad on me!!!! I guess I'm just not allowed to record!!!! :-( One of these days I'll get a new cartridge and get back to work on that. I still have a few thousand records I've never heard yet!! But, the new computer (it's only a year old and I hardly ever use it!) is starting to give me all kinds of problems on my recording projects!!

You should probably think about recording those records onto a blue-ray disk. Seems strange, of all the media we play around with, tapes fail, hard drives crash. Even CD`s & DVD`s eventually fail. But, the original mass public recording media seems to stand the test of time. I have a few singles from when my mother was a teenager, but nothing on tape has survived. and I have also lost quite a media files on hard drives over the years.

(29-09-2014, 12:34 PM)Janet doe Wrote:  You should probably think about recording those records onto a blue-ray disk. Seems strange, of all the media we play around with, tapes fail, hard drives crash. Even CD`s & DVD`s eventually fail. But, the original mass public recording media seems to stand the test of time. I have a few singles from when my mother was a teenager, but nothing on tape has survived. and I have also lost quite a media files on hard drives over the years.
Part of the attraction to me has always been to just put on a tape or some other media that runs a LONG time (MP3 CD or SD card are the others I prefer) and just sit and listen to records for hours without having to get up and change them every few minutes, or so. However, I actually PREFER to see the records themselves playing. something you just never get from CD's.

(29-09-2014, 07:33 AM)Missed Miss Wrote:  Music is my life!! I have 51,000 records, so far.

OMG that sucks loosing all those reels. It took me long enough and I didn't have to listen to them.
I have loads of 80's music. I left school in 89. My record collection is mostly picture disks and special editions from 1986 - 1995. I have far more on CD. Love searching around charity shops and discount stores for bargain CDs. 60's and 80's are my favourite decades.

I did read in a electronics catalogue about a turntable with built in amp that plugs in to usb.
Maplins UK
Found it on a US site.
Musicians Friend US

I still can't believe I had not made copies. It's not like I don't know better or have enough drives. I have 2 backup copies now. lol

Denita

(30-09-2014, 04:32 AM)Denita Wrote:  OMG that sucks loosing all those reels. It took me long enough and I didn't have to listen to them.
I have loads of 80's music. I left school in 89. My record collection is mostly picture disks and special editions from 1986 - 1995. I have far more on CD. Love searching around charity shops and discount stores for bargain CDs. 60's and 80's are my favourite decades.

I did read in a electronics catalogue about a turntable with built in amp that plugs in to usb.
Maplins UK
Found it on a US site.
Musicians Friend US

I still can't believe I had not made copies. It's not like I don't know better or have enough drives. I have 2 backup copies now. lol

Denita

`60's & `80's are my two fave periods, too!! `90's weren't bad, either, but it seems things were on the decline by then.
Yeah, I bought one of those USB turntables once, I didn't like it. Mostly because it didn't come with a dust cover!! I bought a McLelland pre-amp on eBay a few years ago and it uses a USB connection, and you can plug the RCA's from you're turntable straight into it! It's the size of two decks of cards stacked on top of each other! Works with electricity or phantom power! I record straight from the turntable to a hard drive!!
My collection goes back to around 135 years ago.

(30-09-2014, 05:42 AM)Missed Miss Wrote:  `60's & `80's are my two fave periods, too!! `90's weren't bad, either, but it seems things were on the decline by then.
Yeah, I bought one of those USB turntables once, I didn't like it. Mostly because it didn't come with a dust cover!! I bought a McLelland pre-amp on eBay a few years ago and it uses a USB connection, and you can plug the RCA's from you're turntable straight into it! It's the size of two decks of cards stacked on top of each other! Works with electricity or phantom power! I record straight from the turntable to a hard drive!!

First single I ever brought, after seeing them on Top of the pops, was Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax. I was 10½ years old!!! A week later it was banned for being obscene. I did not understand until my mid 20's why it was obscene and what the words meant. lol

There is some good rock and metal in the 90's, but your right, definitely in decline. Just about the only music in the 00's I love is euphoric dance, trance and club.

I spent this afternoon doing house work listening to Queen, Beachboys and the Mamas and Papas. Good house work music. Big Grin

Denita

(30-09-2014, 07:35 PM)Denita Wrote:  
(30-09-2014, 05:42 AM)Missed Miss Wrote:  `60's & `80's are my two fave periods, too!! `90's weren't bad, either, but it seems things were on the decline by then.

First single I ever brought, after seeing them on Top of the pops, was Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax. I was 10½ years old!!! A week later it was banned for being obscene. I did not understand until my mid 20's why it was obscene and what the words meant. lol

There is some good rock and metal in the 90's, but your right, definitely in decline. Just about the only music in the 00's I love is euphoric dance, trance and club.

I spent this afternoon doing house work listening to Queen, Beachboys and the Mamas and Papas. Good house work music. Big Grin

Denita

It was banned because of the cover, which, as far as I'm concerned, is NOT obscene! Big Frankie fan here!!
Dance, trance & club, if I know what you're talking about, it's disco, to me!! There ARE a FEW good bands in the `90's and beyond, but, as it was put to me a few weeks ago, the record companies were getting tired of people like Kurt Nobrain screwing them out of money by doing things like killing themselves, so, they decided to start playing it REAL safe and just sign teenie-bopper little girl artists. BLAAAHHH!!!!!!
For the past two days, ever since I heard it on the radio, I've had a Madonna song running through my head CONSTANTLY!!!! I don't want it, but I'm stuck with it, for now. At least it'd be funny if I were to walk up to some guy at work and start singing it verbatim: "I live in a material world and I am a material girl!" Nearly everyone at work is a big homophobe!! Lol.

(01-10-2014, 12:29 AM)Missed Miss Wrote:  It was banned because of the cover, which, as far as I'm concerned, is NOT obscene! Big Frankie fan here!!
Dance, trance & club, if I know what you're talking about, it's disco, to me!! There ARE a FEW good bands in the `90's and beyond, but, as it was put to me a few weeks ago, the record companies were getting tired of people like Kurt Nobrain screwing them out of money by doing things like killing themselves, so, they decided to start playing it REAL safe and just sign teenie-bopper little girl artists. BLAAAHHH!!!!!!
For the past two days, ever since I heard it on the radio, I've had a Madonna song running through my head CONSTANTLY!!!! I don't want it, but I'm stuck with it, for now. At least it'd be funny if I were to walk up to some guy at work and start singing it verbatim: "I live in a material world and I am a material girl!" Nearly everyone at work is a big homophobe!! Lol.

What!!! The cover art was brilliant!! I had the poster on my wall for years. How can you ban it for that?

[Image: Relax-1400-original.jpg]
This is the original coloured pencil on paper by Ann Yvonne Gilbert.

And because of this conversation I have done some research and found that it's possible to get a print of the original art from the artist!!
Ann Yvonne Gilbert

I will have to wait for the reply to my email to find out how much it's going to cost.

Your right about music. It's risk free, money orientated and committee led. The majority is rubbish. With modern technology you don't even need to be able to sing in tune!

Got to love it when songs stick in your head. lol. It could be worse. You don't want to be caught singing and dancing along to Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun.

Denita

I think it's because of the girl's naked ass, the guy in leather panties and the spikes on the girl's tits.
I'd MUCH rather have Cyndi stuck in my head than Madonna!! At least some people from Cyndi's band came over to see mine one night when we both had a gig blocks away from each other!!
I never even listen to Madonna!! Yet, I get HER stuck in my head!!!!

(02-10-2014, 12:57 AM)Missed Miss Wrote:  I think it's because of the girl's naked ass, the guy in leather panties and the spikes on the girl's tits.
I'd MUCH rather have Cyndi stuck in my head than Madonna!! At least some people from Cyndi's band came over to see mine one night when we both had a gig blocks away from each other!!
I never even listen to Madonna!! Yet, I get HER stuck in my head!!!!

Maybe you need an equally catchy tune to force her from your mind. Like a music version of an exorcism. Tongue

I once had The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black stuck in my head for ages.

Eagles – Hotel California tends to stick in my head as well.

Denita

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon