Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Transparent

Episode 1 (not pilot):

Did the neighbor kill herself?

God, I hope that isn't true about family ...5 years and all will abandon you??? Hopefully that is reaching back into a the past a little and today, more of us are not having to experience that.

Clara said the story is not biographical but wow, it sure seems real to me. Whoever wrote the story is doing a good job of keeping it balanced with reality, yet not too preoccupied with the main character. It might be on the verge of pushing the envelop with ALL the secrets of everyone but I bet it's closer to reality than my "perception" of "normal" in America.

I hope these comments on the series don't dissuade anyone from enjoying the movie. You don't have to read on.

Wife and I finished watching the series “Transparent” tonight. I've heard that the program is getting favorable reviews, and I have to agree it is good drama with a bit of humor thrown in. I look forward to next season.

While watching the program, I was interested in how the TS protagonist, Maura, would be depicted. I may have expressed my disappointment in the past about how transgenders are often treated in many Hollywood films, and I was hoping to finally see a movie that cast TGs in a more favorable, respectful light. In the few reviews of the movie that I've read, the subject of transgenderism is said to be treated with sensitivity. I'd say that's true, but I also have to say that the movie disturbed me, as well.

It was not an uplifting portrayal of life as a transsexual. Okay, maybe that's the reality of it, but it seemed to reinforce the stigma society places on trans people. There was nothing in the movie that would reassure the family of a trans parent that this is something to welcome and embrace. There wasn’t anyone in the Pfefferman family who accepted Maura without reservation. The one line in the movie where a trans friend of Maura warned her that her entire family would abandon her in time, was particularly depressing.

The fact that transgenderism is presented along side a lot of other messed up family dynamics does nothing to avoid the impression that coming out trans is just another screwed up human condition. I can't believe that was an objective of Jill Soloway, the creator of the series.

I do think that Jeffrey Tambor does a excellent job playing Maura. Her portrayal as one of the few well-grounded, rationale people in the movie was heartening. Other aspects of transgenderism, for example male cross dressing, were hit pretty hard.

Clara

I have to agree with what Clara said. I not finished it I've watched 7 episodes and I have found to be rather depressing. I know they likely want to do several seasons so their not interested in resolving anything.

I've only watched the pilot and one episode but even that seems consistent with what Clara is saying. Perhaps it's not written for we transgenders. Maybe it's good to portray our plight so dimly, realistically. If unaware or stubborn cis people watch it, maybe it will encourage them to be empathetic or at least a little more understanding of trans persons.

I tend to agree, Kari. Good times make for lousy tv anyway. But drama (even with humor thrown in for relief) gets viewers. And showing the hard times will, I am guessing, help get people to see us more favorably, at least I hope so. Like you, I have only seen the pilot and episode one. Might watch some more tonight.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon