Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

My blood test results

(08-02-2013, 12:41 AM)aleah Wrote:  SP is most likely not responsible for the low T. It has been studied well enough that there was no evidence of it having an effect on free T.

I've had low free T all my life, a combination of lifestyle factors can affect it, such as poor exercise, poor sleeping habits and poor diet. I hated mornings (when T is highest) and still do, I never feel good but uneasy, so I would stay up late often contributing to lower T levels for most of my life. Lack of exercise and red meat can also cause lower T levels.

I had similar results to yours when I first took a blood test shortly after starting PM, but my free T was lower. I was happy about it obviously but my GP was concerned, I definetly think PM is an antiandrogen because after using it for a few months then taking another blood test before starting Spiro, my serum T was in the 200s.

Thanks, Aleah! I'm settling into the probability that my free-T has always been low, probably genetically. I'm sure my hormone levels have always been a bit whacky since my urges are definitely not mainstream and I've had significant gender dysphoria.

The doctor has ordered a "bunch" of additional blood tests. Hopefully that will shed a little more light on the issue. Ultimately, though, as long as the low free-T isn't dangerous I see no need to try and raise it artificially.

Misty

After digging up my most recent lab results from mid December, I'd like to comment on a couple of things:

Testosterone - I do not see Free Testosterone (Direct) results but can report that my Testosterone, Serum = 513 ng/dL which my new doctor regarded as high. Not excessive, but good for someone 64 years old. So apparently one has to consider age when interpreting lab tests.

Cholesterol - for the past 15 years my fasting cholesterol has been between 195 and 210 (you're supposed to fast for at least 12 hours before the test). I've been trying to combat this slightly high level with a product called Cholestoff, but to no avail. Recently I increased my fish oil pills from 1 pill of 1,000 mg daily to 3 pills daily. My cholesterol has plumetted to around 160. When I expressed surprise to my doctor, he said that the lowered levels could be attributed to the fish oil. Just something for you to consider.

(01-02-2013, 03:08 AM)Misty0732 Wrote:  I got my blood test results today. Here is what my hormone levels are:

Testosterone, Serum = 404 ng/dL (reference interval 348-1197)
Free Testosterone (Direct) = 0.6 pg/mL* (reference interval 7.2-24.0)

* Below Normal Low

Estridiol = 9.5 pg/mL (reference interval 7.6-42.6)

I'm combing the Internet for interpretation. The only thing I know for sure is my Free T is extremely low. I don't think SP lowers Free T (doesn't it just prevent the formation of DHT)? I had only been on PM for about 2 weeks when I got the test. Could it lower my Free T so much, so fast?

Thanks for any input you can give!

Misty

Taking PM can trigger your liver to start producing more SHBG to attempt to bind up the increase of phytoestrogens that is starting to be found in the blood. Since there is higher SHBG in the blood that will mean more Testosterone will be bound up than normal and that would lead to lowering Free T.

I only take PM and when I had my blood test done I had almost identical numbers to yours. I also had SHBG done at that time and it showed for me double the highest normal level.

there are studys showing that Phytoestrogens compete with 17beta-estradiol much stronger than with 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone for binding to sex hormone-binding globulin as well. so the liver could be trying to increase shbg because some of it that nomally was being bound to the testosterone is now being bound to the phytoestrogens and it's trying to maintain the balance of bound testosterone. this would still end in the same result of extra SHBG in blood which would decrease free T levels

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon