Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

tunes+

Texas Flood is probably my favorite song of his. I didn't realize he started so young in 1970. He was really something else. He took the world by storm in the mid-80's, recording with David Bowie on Let's Dance. I was a big fan of SRV.

I was living in Raleigh, NC and dating a young Vietnamese chick from Austin, TX. She was a big SRV fan too. We used to fly down to Austin a lot back then and hang out on 6th Street and she'd take me to a lot of the local music bars. That was a fun time for me back then.

When I think of SRV & Hendrix, I usually immediately think about Unknown Hinson. He was popular here in the South for many years before he got famously fired from the Adult Swim cartoon the Squidbillies for criticizing Dolly Parton. To his fans, it was obviously due to political correctness, but that's just who he is.

While Unknown Hinson is more of a crude character, he had a good following in local bars around the South for his chart topping hits such as:

Your Man is Gay
Foggy Windows
I Can't Believe You're Pregnant, Again
I Make Faces, When I Make Love
I Cleaned out a Room in My Trailer for You
I Ain't Afraid of Your Husband
Fish Camp Woman, I Like the Way You Smell

While he's obviously a character of sorts, the guy could play some screaming guitar and Voodoo Child was always in the Set List in his shows. It's worth a look on Youtube. He's actually hilarious, to be honest.

My personal top favorite country singer is Hank Williams the 3rd. He's got an Unknown Hinson tattoo on his arm. The late great Ed King from Lynyrd Skynyrd made his last stage appearance at an Unknown Hinson concert.

I saw him twice before he retired. His shows were hilarious good fun.

Big fan of SRV. Dude can play

SRV was indeed one of a kind in many ways! He was taken from us far too young! He was my introduction to the blues, and was simply a force of nature!

(21-01-2024, 09:12 PM)Stevenator_ Wrote:  Texas Flood is probably my favorite song of his. I didn't realize he started so young in 1970. He was really something else. He took the world by storm in the mid-80's, recording with David Bowie on Let's Dance. I was a big fan of SRV.

I was living in Raleigh, NC and dating a young Vietnamese chick from Austin, TX. She was a big SRV fan too. We used to fly down to Austin a lot back then and hang out on 6th Street and she'd take me to a lot of the local music bars. That was a fun time for me back then.

I think SRV had just had his 16th birthday when I saw him in Lawton, OK. I guess he got a pass on his age because he was the entertainment! 

Sounds like a ton of fun with a VN chick, hitting the live music scene in Austin. Oh, man!

I did a read on him and apparently you saw him when he was first getting started. That is really, really cool.

She was a lot of fun as they say but she was nuts, too. That's one reason we split. But I remember back then she was trying to turn me onto people like Townes Van Zant & Guy Clark and I was like, "who"?

It's funny now because I really dig those folks from the Texas scene back then. Emmy Lou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Blaze Foley and the list goes on. Rodney McDowell, Steve Earle .....

I remember we once went by the Hole in the Wall. I regert now not going in. Sixth Street however was cool as hell. I spent a lot of time in Austin back then. What a great town it was back then.

Being a guitarist myself, I've long had an admiration for David Bowie's devotion to the 12 string guitar. He had at least 10 that I know of, and that's a pretty good appreciation for the instrument.

I did a YouTube search last night for some of his songs with a 12 string, because I like the jangle so much, and I was delighted to become reacquainted with some of his earliest songs, mainly Oh You Pretty Things! To be honest I had no idea that he also played the piano, too.

As I sat there watching this song and digging the piano playing by Bowie, I was also amazed by the lyrics. Not so much how funky they were, but I was saddened & stunned at the same time because no one writes lyrics like they did back then anymore. (Just think of any dreamy song by Led Zeppelin and compare it to any top 40 song of today).

So, Oh You Pretty Things sent me down a rabbit hole with The Spiders from Mars, and mainly Mick Ronson.

I always thought them to be quite cartoonish especially in the early 70's, comparing them with the likes of The New York Dolls and others. But holy cow Mick Ronson was a monster talent.

Quoting randomly from the wiki, he recorded five albums with Ian Hunter, did extensive touring with Van Morrison & Bob Dylan. He produced albums for Lou Reed, John Mellencamp, Roger McGuinn & Morrissey. He recorded albums with Roger Daley, Elton John, David Cassidy, Chrissie Hynde and Pure Prairie League, as well as recording five solo albums himself. All before dying of cancer at age 46 in 1993.

Just, incredible.

Anyway .... here's a cool biography video called The Mick Ronson Story from 2017.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kY8tpn-M-7k&pp=ygUlQmVzaWRlIEJvd2llOiBNaWNrIFJvbnNvbiBTdG9yeSwgMjAxNw%3D%3D

and Oh You Pretty Things from 1972

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IBgU0tiLy2s&pp=ygUgZGF2aWQgYm93aWUgb2ggeW91IHByZXR0eSB0aGluZ3M%3D

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon