Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

PM and Muscle Fasciculations?

I had an appointment with my neurosurgeon yesterday. I showed him the video I posted with the muscle fasciculations I am experiencing. He confirmed that the chances the fasciculations having anything to do with my back are extremely low, and suggested the most probably cause is endocrine. I do have an order for an EMG to test for sure, but he suggests I see an endocrinologist first.

I can say also say that the fasciculations have indeed dropped way off (now that I am almost 2 weeks into my break from PM). Hence I no longer doubt my guess that PM is the cause of the twitching. I'm not sure whether it is the introduction of the estrogenic properties, the absence of testosterone (especially free-T), or something else.

In any case, I now face a dilemma. If I visit the endo while taking PM, I'll likely be advised to stop (if I disclose it at all) or could be placed on a pharma regimen to increase my testosterone. Neither is a happy option.

I'd appreciate advice!

Misty

When we listen to our body it does tell us a lot. For now stay away from PM as you have done, and have a healthy diet plus some moderate exercise. If you can not exercise for some reason, then, walk half an hour a day. Be healthy. <3 POM

(14-01-2015, 01:02 PM)pom19 Wrote:  When we listen to our body it does tell us a lot. For now stay away from PM as you have done, and have a healthy diet plus some moderate exercise. If you can not exercise for some reason, then, walk half an hour a day. Be healthy. <3 POM

Well I am already doing all that. I'm pretty healthy now, if you don't count the fasciculations.

Staying away from PM means a return of the GD, and of the other consequences of normal to high T levels. Not a pleasant thought.

Misty

(14-01-2015, 11:11 PM)Misty0732 Wrote:  
(14-01-2015, 01:02 PM)pom19 Wrote:  When we listen to our body it does tell us a lot. For now stay away from PM as you have done, and have a healthy diet plus some moderate exercise. If you can not exercise for some reason, then, walk half an hour a day. Be healthy. <3 POM

Well I am already doing all that. I'm pretty healthy now, if you don't count the fasciculations.

Staying away from PM means a return of the GD, and of the other consequences of normal to high T levels. Not a pleasant thought.

Misty
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Substituting other phytoestrogens with PM?

I would think that possibly Red Clover would be the next best Estrogen substitute??? Maybe Lotus would have a better idea?

I got reading this and looked up about calcium and PM. I remember reading somewhere about taking calcium with PM and was curious if people do. So I found this study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15647615

Now this is on monkeys, but it shows longer term dosing of Pm in relation to PTH, and the results were lower blood calcium levels, which can cause neuromuscular irritability(twitches and cardiac issues). So, not sure how accurate it is on humans, but you could try taking some calcium supplements and see if your symptoms lessen.

(15-01-2015, 12:53 AM)iaboy Wrote:  I would think that possibly Red Clover would be the next best Estrogen substitute??? Maybe Lotus would have a better idea?

I think hopes would probably be the next down the list, Isabel had good results with that.

(15-01-2015, 02:22 AM)wantingmore72 Wrote:  I got reading this and looked up about calcium and PM. I remember reading somewhere about taking calcium with PM and was curious if people do. So I found this study.

Now this is on monkeys, but it shows longer term dosing of Pm in relation to PTH, and the results were lower blood calcium levels, which can cause neuromuscular irritability(twitches and cardiac issues). So, not sure how accurate it is on humans, but you could try taking some calcium supplements and see if your symptoms lessen.

I use the extract, 3-4 drops in about a 5 ounce glass of milk. I stir it really good and then drink it. I have had problems with cramps since I had to go onto my heart meds, but no "twitches" that I am aware of.

Misty, I hope you don't have to chose between dealing with the fasciculations and GD. Sad

Maybe there's an optimal dose of pm that prevents the reemergence of GD but not incur fasciculations for you?

I think it's hard to say whether there's another herb that can put down GD like pm can. I suspect because pm is the tried and true herb, it's easier to stick with pm than venture out and try other herbs.

(15-01-2015, 02:22 AM)wantingmore72 Wrote:  I got reading this and looked up about calcium and PM. I remember reading somewhere about taking calcium with PM and was curious if people do. So I found this study.

Interesting enough, the label on Ainterol's pm bottles suggests taking calcium with pm. Perhaps this is one reason why?

(15-01-2015, 03:41 PM)flamesabers Wrote:  Misty, I hope you don't have to chose between dealing with the fasciculations and GD. Sad

Maybe there's an optimal dose of pm that prevents the reemergence of GD but not incur fasciculations for you?

I think it's hard to say whether there's another herb that can put down GD like pm can. I suspect because pm is the tried and true herb, it's easier to stick with pm than venture out and try other herbs.

I hope not too, flame. I have already tried most all the other herbs, before I started PM. They had no noticeable affect so I really have no reason to expect they will now.

I'm going to go a while off PM, until the fasciculations have completely vanished, and then will see if I can find a dosage that will work. I'll add progesterone at least one week a month, and will take calcium along with the PM. Then we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I feel like I'm in for a long couple of weeks...

Misty

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon