Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Solar PM Phytogen

Ok Girls, so I just received my order of Solger Pm and I am confused...Did I buy the wrong stuff? I know I should start off with 1000mgs daily. But the Solgar has only 80mgs...Is this stuff formulated differently???

I'm sorry I have no experience with the Solgar brand.
Anyone else?

Since it's a standardized extract it's hard to tell what that 80mg of PM is actually equivalent to since they don't list an extract ratio on it's ingredients(looked it up on amazon).

It would take 13 caps to even reach the 1000mg dose assuming it's only a 1:1 extract.
If it was a 5:1 extract for example it would be equivalent to 5 times that, 400mg of PM per cap, so you would significantly overshoot 1000mg if you took 13 caps(it would be 5200mg). At least that's my understanding of how extract ratios work.

Anyways you don't know how strong a single dose is, so at least proceed with caution.

You could start at a low dose like 4 capsules and gradually work your way up from there until you start getting results.

Thanks Ladies...Yes it would take 13 pills to reach 1040mgs, the problem is with the B12. Each pill contains 1000mcgs which is 16667% of the daily requirement, so that would mean if I were taking 13 pills a day that would put me at over 200,000% of the daily requirement...I don't want or need that much B12. That's absolutely crazy...Smile
I started yesterday with one pill in the morning and one at night and ordered myself some Ainterol this morning...I will however, finish what I have in the Solgar and let you know what I think...smooches

(27-12-2014, 05:48 PM)krystal3838 Wrote:  Thanks Ladies...Yes it would take 13 pills to reach 1040mgs, the problem is with the B12. Each pill contains 1000mcgs which is 16667% of the daily requirement, so that would mean if I were taking 13 pills a day that would put me at over 200,000% of the daily requirement...I don't want or need that much B12. That's absolutely crazy...Smile
I started yesterday with one pill in the morning and one at night and ordered myself some Ainterol this morning...I will however, finish what I have in the Solgar and let you know what I think...smooches

All that B12 probably won't really hurt you since it's water soluble, so your body will just flush what can't be used. I suspect they may really be using it as a filler since the dose is ridiculously high, likely so they can charge you more for it.

Though high B12 levels may actually increase the chances of getting prostate cancer.

(27-12-2014, 05:09 PM)Outsider Wrote:  Since it's a standardized extract it's hard to tell what that 80mg of PM is actually equivalent to since they don't list an extract ratio on it's ingredients(looked it up on amazon).

It would take 13 caps to even reach the 1000mg dose assuming it's only a 1:1 extract.
If it was a 5:1 extract for example it would be equivalent to 5 times that, 400mg of PM per cap, so you would significantly overshoot 1000mg if you took 13 caps(it would be 5200mg). At least that's my understanding of how extract ratios work.

Anyways you don't know how strong a single dose is, so at least proceed with caution.

You could start at a low dose like 4 capsules and gradually work your way up from there until you start getting results.

That is exactly the reason I only used one bottle of it. Too much other junk in it. I did however, go to a pharm lab that did the standardization. I think the name is "purestrol" or something like that..Anyways, it's supposed to be the active ingredients that help women with menopause. Not sure that is good enough for what we are trying to do, but since I am no bio chemist....

(28-12-2014, 05:33 AM)iaboy Wrote:  That is exactly the reason I only used one bottle of it. Too much other junk in it. I did however, go to a pharm lab that did the standardization. I think the name is "purestrol" or something like that..Anyways, it's supposed to be the active ingredients that help women with menopause. Not sure that is good enough for what we are trying to do, but since I am no bio chemist....
You mean this?
http://www.puresterol.com/puresterol.html

I think, if you look on the label of Solgar PM, it says that 80 mg of puresterol derived from PM. My way of thinking is, if you could get like 300mg without the mega doses of the other unnecessary crap Solgar puts in their tablets.... it might be worth trying for a couple of months.

But, I am a firm believer in the too much of a good thing equals bad to toxic in severity... I would think that 80x the recommended dose of a vitamin would be in the toxic range. I would rather use combo's in safer dosages for the purposes that they are designed for.. Make sense? I mean after all, it's proven a person can overdose on Vitamin C right???

(28-12-2014, 05:03 PM)iaboy Wrote:  I think, if you look on the label of Solgar PM, it says that 80 mg of puresterol derived from PM. My way of thinking is, if you could get like 300mg without the mega doses of the other unnecessary crap Solgar puts in their tablets.... it might be worth trying for a couple of months.

But, I am a firm believer in the too much of a good thing equals bad to toxic in severity... I would think that 80x the recommended dose of a vitamin would be in the toxic range. I would rather use combo's in safer dosages for the purposes that they are designed for.. Make sense? I mean after all, it's proven a person can overdose on Vitamin C right???

Purestrol is just the name of a standardized 20mg extract of Miroestrol from PM.

Krystal, I wouldn't sweat it, I made the same mistake in the beginning too. Rolleyes maybe we need to do a better job providing the correct info for starting programs, (note to self, add it to the - Genetic male NBE Guide, lol) Smile

When the ratio of the extract is listed on the label 1:1 or 1:5 it's referring to the weight of the herb/plant and volume of the solvent used (alcohol/water).

Manufacturers use different extraction processes, some might use solvents (alcohol) or high pressured cold water. Or some will go with CO2 extraction or Supercritical Fluid Extraction (SFE). You'll also get different explanations on how these results are obtained. For instance, this one comes from herb inc.

Liquid Extract Strength

The strength ratio listed on liquid extracts is a weight to volume ratio (gram:ml)

1:1 = 1 gram (1000 mg) per 1 ml (20 drops)
1:2 = .5 grams (500 mg) per 1 ml (20 drops)
1:4 = .25 grams (250 mg) per 1 ml (20 drops)
1:5 = .2 grams (200 mg) per 1 ml (20 drops)
2:1 = 2 grams (2000 mg) per 1 ml (20 drops)

Note: Simply because a company used 1 gram of plant to 1 ml of alcohol does not mean you are necessarily getting 1 gram worth of plant matter per 20 drop dose - this depends on how readily the active constituents of a plant dissolve in alcohol.

Also, Fresh Extract and Dry Extract strengths cannot be compared. Fresh Extracts will often appear to have a stronger ratio because the company must compensate for the water mass of a fresh plant by adding more of the plant. Thus, a 1:5 Dry Extract is frequently stronger than a 1:1 Fresh Extract, depending on the plant in question. Herb Pharm extracts tend to follow Pharmacopoeia guidelines for selecting fresh or dried plant, Gaia tends to follow a "fresh is better" approach; there is most likely validity to both arguments.

Gaia brand extracts use a method known as "double maceration" - a 1:1 extract from Gaia is a 1:2 extract in which the plant material is replaced with fresh plant material after the first extraction. This may or may not make an extract stronger depending on the plant and the solubility of the plant's active constituents.
In summary, it is nearly impossible to tell how strong an extract will be until you try it yourself. "Standardized" extracts, in which a company tells you the concentration of active constituents (most companies will only test their product once despite seasonal crop variations), are not necessarily stronger than a normal extract. The best advice we can offer is to find a brand you like and stick with it.

(09-03-2014, 11:02 PM)Lotus Wrote:  
General averages of rates/ratios when consuming herbs

Q-How long does a capsule take to dissolve?

A-Typically the average is up to 20 minutes, some sources have at 5-10 minutes while others say 20-30 minutes. Extracts 1 to 4 minutes

Q-What are typical absorption results?

A-For skin application- 60%

A-Liquid- 98%

A-capsule- 10-20%

Q-What is the capsule to extract ratio?

A-20 to 1, meaning it would take 20 capsules to = 1 teaspoon of extract

Q-When is the best time to take an herb?

A-In general herbs are best taken on an empty stomach

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon