Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Hair Removal - HPL (Home Pulsed Light) My Experience...

A bit over a week ago I purchased and received an HPL system from Silk'n called the Flash&Go Luxx (it's the $300.00 'lifetime pulse' version). I have used this all over my body twice and on my face several times and here is what I have noticed. It works. Slowly yes, but it works.

The first time I used it I had it on it's lowest setting ( one of five ). I used it on my beard and chest, legs and groin area. It was warm, not painful. About 4 days later I used it again but turned the settings up to the third power level. A few places got hot but not really painfully so I used it again all over my body, including my groin area and scrotum. Be warned though that you need to be careful of how you apply it (flatten any surface area as much as you can by either pulling the skin or otherwise manipulating the area to present a flatter surface). There is a small gap of about 1/8 if an inch or so from the outer surface of the device and the flash lamp... that flash lamp when it pulses gets HOT even on it's lowest setting... and in sensitive areas.. if skin is touching it, you're going to find out VERY fast.

Yesterday I used the device again, this time raising the power setting to 4 of 5. A bit warm but generally not painfully so. I did all but my legs (I'd just shaved them and they were still a little unhappy in a couple places thanks to cheap razor blades). Now.. the last time I used this device I noticed that my beard was smoother rather than rough as it normally is even after a close razor blade shave. I have coarse beard hair and no amount of shaving gives me a smooth feel, ever. Until now. My beard is markedly thinner. My skin is markedly smoother, especially along the area beside my ears and cheeks. The super coarse beard area of my chin is now significantly less dense and coarse and more like my jawline and cheeks were a few weeks ago.

Now granted... I am using the Flash & Go more often than they suggest (they suggest once every two weeks), So my current results are NOT typical if you follow their plan but from what I am seeing on my face, this thing works pretty well for what it is. I'll be turning it up to the highest setting when I use it again in 4-5 days and we shall see how that feels.

Just a side note... my body hair isn't responding as fast as my beard hair has to the Flash & Go.. I suspect this is because my chest, stomach, pubic/groin area and leg hair is much slower growing, as well as being slightly less dense and thick as my beard hair is/was. I'll be going to the every two weeks use on the rest of my body and see how that works out for me over time.

So.. if a Laser home hair removal system like the Tria4x isn't in your budget but you want to remove hair (This is supposedly perm hair removal according to the Silk'n website) over time This may be worth looking into for you. My experience is it does seem to work.

~Elain

Fantastic review. I love it when someone thoroughly reviews a product. I am still using my epilator, and testing to see how it works out over time, but if the device you're using works out well, then perhaps I will give it a try as well. Smile Just $300 is quite a bit to swallow. Wink

(29-01-2015, 09:53 PM)Fire And Ice Wrote:  Fantastic review. I love it when someone thoroughly reviews a product. I am still using my epilator, and testing to see how it works out over time, but if the device you're using works out well, then perhaps I will give it a try as well. Smile Just $300 is quite a bit to swallow. Wink

yeah $300 in one pop is a lot of cash, even for me. I saved up over several months to get it. The Flash&Go with the 5000 pulse lamp was $100.00 less but I decided to go with the 120,000 pulse 'lifetime' lamp because I didn't know how long I would need to use it to achieve the nearly hairlessness that I desire so decided to error on the side of the longer single lamp lifetime. If I achieve my goal and there is still life left in that lamp, I can always pass the unit on to a friend or family member who wants to perm remove unwanted hair.

https://www.silkn.com/buy-flash-and-go/?tab=faq

~Elain

(29-01-2015, 11:16 PM)ElainMoria Wrote:  
(29-01-2015, 09:53 PM)Fire And Ice Wrote:  Fantastic review. I love it when someone thoroughly reviews a product. I am still using my epilator, and testing to see how it works out over time, but if the device you're using works out well, then perhaps I will give it a try as well. Smile Just $300 is quite a bit to swallow. Wink

yeah $300 in one pop is a lot of cash, even for me. I saved up over several months to get it. The Flash&Go with the 5000 pulse lamp was $100.00 less but I decided to go with the 120,000 pulse 'lifetime' lamp because I didn't know how long I would need to use it to achieve the nearly hairlessness that I desire so decided to error on the side of the longer single lamp lifetime. If I achieve my goal and there is still life left in that lamp, I can always pass the unit on to a friend or family member who wants to perm remove unwanted hair.

https://www.silkn.com/buy-flash-and-go/?tab=faq

~Elain

That's fantastic, well I look forward to future reviews from you on the product and how it is working out for you. Then I'll decide if it is something I wish to pursue. Smile

*Update* I just ran the HPL device to it's maximum setting and used it on my face, chest and armpits.... VERY warm bordering on hot, but not badly so. I don't think I will be using this setting in the more sensative areas of my groin but for the rest of my body the max setting is doable if slightly uncomfortable in tenderer areas like the armpits and underside of my jawline.

Side note. As I continue to shave I have noticed that my facial skin is getting softer and my beard hair is less dense and coarse. My beard grows fast (I can have a decent and shaped beard grown in just over a month) so I have been using the HPL device more often than they recommend but I am def noticing a marked decline in facial hair.

~Elain

*Update*

Again I want to stress that i am NOT following their recommended course of treatments. I am flashing myself every 3-5 days instead of every 2 weeks as they suggest. However, that being said, my beard is thinning along the side burn area and jawline, and a bit patchier in the cheeks. my chin, upper lip and neck don't seem to show as much difference at this time but I am going to take a break from flashing myself and let my beard grow out for a cpl weeks, then start the process again and see what happens. So far though, there IS some thinning, so I'd say this thing does work.

~Elain

(09-02-2015, 02:21 AM)ElainMoria Wrote:  *Update*

Again I want to stress that i am NOT following their recommended course of treatments. I am flashing myself every 3-5 days instead of every 2 weeks as they suggest. However, that being said, my beard is thinning along the side burn area and jawline, and a bit patchier in the cheeks. my chin, upper lip and neck don't seem to show as much difference at this time but I am going to take a break from flashing myself and let my beard grow out for a cpl weeks, then start the process again and see what happens. So far though, there IS some thinning, so I'd say this thing does work.

~Elain

Thanks for the update Elain! Still not 100% sold on the idea yet. Maybe if I get a good bonus this year. Big Grin

(09-02-2015, 10:50 PM)Fire And Ice Wrote:  
(09-02-2015, 02:21 AM)ElainMoria Wrote:  *Update*

~Elain

Thanks for the update Elain! Still not 100% sold on the idea yet. Maybe if I get a good bonus this year. Big Grin

It does seem to have some issues with thicker hair, but the website also said that male facial hair would take longer to reduce/remove so that doesn't surprise me.

~E

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon