Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Finasteride effects?

This isn't quite synthetic hormones, but am curious if anyone else is taking finasteride and what your experience has been?

I started on 2.5mg of finasteride about 6 weeks ago. Not sure if anyone else has taken it. I am mostly taking it to hopefully halt (fingers crossed on some restoration) my hair loss.

At first I did not notice much, but over the last week or two I have noticed 3 things:
1 - Shedding. My hair appears to be falling out. I've read online that this is somewhat to be expected, but it's still scary as hell.
2 - Slightly increased libido. This one has me confused since it appears to be in direct conflict with one of the more common side effects for this drug, which is loss of libido.
3 - Increased sweating/body odor. It's bizarre, but I find myself packing an extra shirt and deodorant in the car now in case it gets too bad during the day (this is just sitting in an office or riding in the car - not while working out).

Anyway, hopeful that anyone else who had experience with finasteride could share their reactions.

Kate

(14-02-2015, 10:19 PM)katieinhiding Wrote:  This isn't quite synthetic hormones, but am curious if anyone else is taking finasteride and what your experience has been?

I started on 2.5mg of finasteride about 6 weeks ago. Not sure if anyone else has taken it. I am mostly taking it to hopefully halt (fingers crossed on some restoration) my hair loss.

At first I did not notice much, but over the last week or two I have noticed 3 things:
1 - Shedding. My hair appears to be falling out. I've read online that this is somewhat to be expected, but it's still scary as hell.
2 - Slightly increased libido. This one has me confused since it appears to be in direct conflict with one of the more common side effects for this drug, which is loss of libido.
3 - Increased sweating/body odor. It's bizarre, but I find myself packing an extra shirt and deodorant in the car now in case it gets too bad during the day (this is just sitting in an office or riding in the car - not while working out).

Anyway, hopeful that anyone else who had experience with finasteride could share their reactions.

Kate

The hair shedding is normal. Finasteride is a 5AR blocker which reduces the amount of DHT in your system by preventing testosterone from being turned into DHT by 5AR. DHT is the testosterone variant that is responsible for hair loss (as you already know).

One temporary side effect of 5AR and DHT reduction is an increase in the serum levels of testosterone in your system, that can for a while, increase the onset of erections. Your body will adjust to the change and eventually you should return to normal and less um.. frequent.. erection presentation.

As for the sweating and odor. That I don't know but I would assume that with more free testosterone in your system, you are probably metabolizing slightly differently, and your body is working at ridding itself of some of those byproducts. Sweat, like urination and other body waste elimination activities is often accompanied by odor due to the various chemical compounds exuded from your sweat glands. Give yourself a bit of time to let your body adjust to it's new conditions.

One other thing you should consider when taking Finasteride is to have a comprehensive metabolic panel taken of your blood, as well as a Testosterone and DHT levels test. The CMP is more for your safety, as Finasteride can effect the liver and kidneys in some cases. As long as the CMP is normal you should be fine. The T and DHT test should give you a good idea of how effective the Fin is being in your system at reducing DHT, and how high it's jacked your T levels. You may end up needing to take something like Aldactone to lower T levels if they are too high.

~Elain

Wow! What a detailed and informative response. Thank you so much!

I have an appointment with my doctor in a few weeks and will ask her about a CMP (also plan on having a discussion about hormones then, which I suspect will also require a CMP?

(Edit: fixed typo)

(15-02-2015, 01:51 PM)katieinhiding Wrote:  Wow! What a detailed an informative response. Thank you so much!

I have an appointment with my doctor in a few weeks and will ask her about a CMP (also plan on having a discussion about hormones then, which I suspect will also require a CMP?

A CMP and you really want to check your T, estrogen and DHT levels as well.

The main reason for having regular CMP is these medications can sometimes have an adverse reaction with your liver, damaging it (sometimes permanently). The CMP if done regularly (once a month initially to one every two or three months after you have been taking it for a while) will let your doctor know if your liver is taking a hit. If it is, then you have to either change meds, drop the med entirely, or reduce dosage. There is no point in taking these meds, if you end up destroying your liver in the process, so being careful, getting regular testing done etc is important.

~Elain

I have been on 5mg. of Finasteride for about two months and haven't noticed any of these side effects. I will take to heart the suggestions about the tests though. I don't want to mess up my liver. I was hoping it would help enlarge my breast. remains to be seen I guess?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2.5 mg of Finasteride is more than is recommended for preventing MPB.

(18-02-2015, 01:05 AM)Terilynn Wrote:  I have been on 5mg. of Finasteride for about two months and haven't noticed any of these side effects. I will take to heart the suggestions about the tests though. I don't want to mess up my liver. I was hoping it would help enlarge my breast. remains to be seen I guess?

Finasteride by itself will only marginally effect breast growth, the ones that pushes that envelope is a reduction of Testosterone and an increase in Estrogen and progesterone. Finasteride is used primarily for enlarged prostate reduction and blocking of DHT production (hair loss), it has at best only a very minimal effect on breast size.

Aldactone ( Spironolactone ), would reduce your testosterone levels. 100-200mg a day normally, depending on your body chemistry etc. Then you'd need to raise your Estrogen and progesterone levels. Those two can be done with herbals if you don't want to take a handful of pills like Estrace and Progestin. You can actually do all four, lower your Testosterone and DHT levels and raise your progesterone and estrogen levels with a combination of herbs and extracts.

If you prefer to go the synthetic route then you'll need to reduce both T and DHT and raise E and P. Aldactone, Finasteride, Estrace and Progestin in careful and measured dosage would do this.. just remember though that these drugs are the common ones used for Male to Female transition regimens. So if you intend to stay operationally male.. i'd rethink using them in combination as using them in combination will likely tank your libido, make you unable to perform sexually and in effect make you hormonally female. This, if done long enough 3-6 months or so, can render you perm sterile.

PRE-OPERATIVE REGIMEN w/o TRANSDERMAL
• Estradiol : 6 to 8 mg (sublingual) daily.

• Finasteride : 6 mg Propecia (divided, morning and evening) or 5mg Proscar am

• Spironolactone : 100 mg to 200 mg divided dose, morning and evening.

• **Progestin : 5 to 10 mg daily for 10 days of the month (optional).

**Progestin isn't actually needed and may cause your estrogen levels to over balance w/o careful monitoring by an informed physician.

If you are already in transition, or have already transitioned then those medications listed above would need to be changed, adjusted, eliminated etc depending on your current T and DHT levels and your current E and P levels. Those are things blood tests can look for and as you should be monitored when taking these meds, I strongly recommend that you inform your physician about what you are taking, why, and encourage monitoring of those blood levels as well as CMB's etc. the tests I list below are some of the ones you'd want done regularly while taking those medications.

LABORATORY TESTING
• CBC with Differential
• Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
• Lipid Profile
• **Testosterone -Total + Free
• PT/PTT
• Urinalysis
** test Estrogen and Progesterone levels as well.

~Elain

(18-02-2015, 01:16 AM)ClaraKay Wrote:  2.5 mg of Finasteride is more than is recommended for preventing MPB.

It is what my PCP recommended. I have 5mg pills that I am splitting in half and taking once a day. I've heard that the dose for MPB is usually around 1mg daily?

Just wanted to give everyone an update. The sweating and body odor has finally subsided. The shedding continues, but is not as bad as it was a few weeks ago. My libido continues to be up (pun intended).

I also snapped a photo on 2/19/15 and another one last night to try and see if there has been any difference -- I really didn't expect anything, but it appears that regrowth is happening!! It's not a lot yet, but I'm so happy!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon