Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Rethinking PM (and the dangers of self-medicating)

I appreciate all the encouragement I have been getting here, both publicly and in PMs. I must share that I am much more encouraged than I have been in a long time. I am coming to believe that the majority of my problems come from long term usage of statin medication (and not PM). It's possible that the PM played a role, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that Crestor and Lipitor are the primary culprits. I was on a much weaker statin (Pravachol) for 20 years but was switched to Crestor a little over two years ago. Interestingly enough that was almost precisely the same time that I started taking PM.

I didn't previously suspect that the Crestor was an issue since I was taking Pravachol for so long with no ill effects. I have been off statins for about a month now, and I'm taking prudent steps to recover from the muscle and nerve issues I have been experiencing. The past week in particular has been almost euphoric for me because of the reduction of pain and muscle fasciculations. I know it will take a long time to completely recover (and some of the damage may be permanent). I intend to stay off PM for a while yet so my natural testosterone can aid in muscle recovery. I hope that within a few weeks or months I may be able to resume a PM regimen.

If my next eye exam (not required until January) shows no progression of the MD, even after months of resumed PM, I'll feel much better about a permanent resumption of the PM therapy. My wife just had a full hysterectomy today -- in fact I'm headed back to the hospital to be with her after I finish this post -- so I'm pretty sure my requirement for male performance is ending. I won't miss it.

Misty

Just re enforces my belief in Voodoo Pharms.

Misty,

I'm not an expert, but I would also suspect the statins as the cause.of your eye and muscle problems. They have a long list of nasty side effects. Have you been supplementing your Co Q10? That is greatly affected by statins, and supplementing it can offset some of the side effects of the statins.

(05-04-2015, 01:06 AM)MichelleM Wrote:  Have you been supplementing your Co Q10? That is greatly affected by statins, and supplementing it can offset some of the side effects of the statins.

Michelle,

I started CoQ10 about two weeks ago.

I can honestly say that my shoulders (rotator cuff tendonitis) feel better than they have in nearly 3 years -- in fact they feel almost normal. That's very exciting for me Big Grin

I also hope that the nerve issues and the MD are related to the statins. The nerve issues are very likely to be related, but I am less sure about the MD. I haven't found any research linking it to statin use as of yet.

Regardless, I will *never* take statins again, except for perhaps Pravachol (the weakest of the family).

Misty

(06-04-2015, 07:26 PM)Misty0732 Wrote:  
(05-04-2015, 01:06 AM)MichelleM Wrote:  Have you been supplementing your Co Q10? That is greatly affected by statins, and supplementing it can offset some of the side effects of the statins.

Michelle,

I started CoQ10 about two weeks ago.

I can honestly say that my shoulders (rotator cuff tendonitis) feel better than they have in nearly 3 years -- in fact they feel almost normal. That's very exciting for me Big Grin

I also hope that the nerve issues and the MD are related to the statins. The nerve issues are very likely to be related, but I am less sure about the MD. I haven't found any research linking it to statin use as of yet.

Regardless, I will *never* take statins again, except for perhaps Pravachol (the weakest of the family).

Misty

we just recently got my father off of statins against his "Pill Pusher" of a doctor's wishes and he's been doing much better for it, his MD has also lessened, dunno if it's related but I hope the trend continues.

(06-04-2015, 07:31 PM)Lenneth Wrote:  we just recently got my father off of statins against his "Pill Pusher" of a doctor's wishes and he's been doing much better for it, his MD has also lessened, dunno if it's related but I hope the trend continues.

Interestingly enough I used to be very "pro-statin." Funny how one's viewpoint can change when bad things start to happen. I am very grateful that I found out before more damage could occur (apparently quite of few people who develop muscle fasciculations from statin use go on to develop full blown ALS). I hope your father continues to improve as well!

Misty

So after a 3-month PM break (by far the longest since I first started) I am feeling much better than I have in years. I can't say that it is the PM break that is responsible for my improvement though, since I also made the decision to go cold turkey on statin medication and have been taking a number of supplements (CoQ10, vitamins B12, C, D3, K12, omega 3/6/9, lutein, and zeaxanthin).

My GD is off the charts. I have decided to experiment with PM again and see if the lack of statins plus the supplements can rule out PM as the cause of the physical issues that have been plaguing me.

I think I need at least 1500mg/day to realize the mental calmness and significant relief from the GD. If my symptoms return in force, I may consider trying pharma E instead (to see if I can get the relief w/o the side effects).

Wish me luck! Wink

Misty

Good luck, Misty!

My GD has been lying low for months, with a minimal dose of PM, but it has stormed back with a vengeance the last few weeks.

Good luck Misty!

After a bad experience with statins, I'm inclined to think that they are the more likely culprits than a traditional root that has not only been in use for many generations, but is actually capable of protecting against breast cancer. Usually things are bad or not, and I've not heard of any bad effects from PM, whereas there are a great number of problems with statins.

I'd be worried about taking Pharm E. The BCA1 and BCA2 genes are getting a lot of high profile women going in for mastectomies and reconstruction, e.g. Angelina Jolie.

Men can inherit these genes too. I'd be very worried about taking Pharm E if anyone in my family had had breast cancer - but then, I am very risk averse.

B.

(20-02-2015, 02:29 AM)Misty0732 Wrote:  
(19-02-2015, 10:19 PM)Lenneth Wrote:  My dad also had a sudden onset of Macular Degeneration, but he isn't on pm or anything like it, I seriously doubt it's pm causing it.

I wish I could be as sure, and then again I sort of hope the PM is causing it (because then I could probably stop any further damage).  I know that the vast majority of people with MD aren't messing around with their hormones.  Unfortunately that by itself doesn't rule out the PM as a major contributor.

Misty

Well, from my own expierence that is most likely not the case. i dont have MD, but i do get severe Muscle fasciculations. while ive been using NBE they have REDUCED significantly! Ive gone from having leg and lower back tremors that last 30+ minutes to its been more than a month since ive had a twitch! so it may very well be Genetically related to a persons individual body.

Then again, i may be well off and end up with the worst one yet to come... | but im hoping thats not the case.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon