Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Bra Guide

I don't profess to be an expert in this, but having spent a significant amount of money and time on bra shopping, I thought I would share for anyone who is interested.

I'm going to say something right now:
Everything you know about bras are wrong!

Instead, take a look at ABraThatFits , which contains a wealth of information on getting your real bra size and bra fitting.

Start with the Beginner's Guide.

Because we are males, the bra size calculator will overestimate by about 2-3 cups. That is, if the bra size calculator gives 36DD, then your bra size might be 36C or 36B. As males, our breasts are usually shallow, which means the breast tissue is spread across a larger area. This is important, because you'll want to buy bras that fit shallow breasts. These are usually bras that have wide underwires.

Next comes the "fun" part: the trial and error to confirm your size, and find a bra that fits.

Suppose the possible bra size is 36B or 36C. You might want to try a tighter or looser band, meaning, 34C or 34D, or 38A or 38B. (This concept is known as sister sizes.) Amazon works great for this because they have free returns, so you can order multiple sizes and return those that don't fit. I previously ordered 10 bras and returned 7. Very rarely, Amazon might flag an account that does lots of returns, but an online chat with customer service should clear it up. So what you'll want to do is order a bra in at least two sister sizes, more if you have the budget. And try different bras with different cuts.

I had great success with these:
b.tempt'd by Wacoal Women's B.Delighted Demi Contour Bra
Betsey Johnson Women's Eyelet-Lace Three-Section Foam Demi Bra
OnGossamer Women's Laced In Paradise Balc Bump (few sizes left though)

My experience:
I never knew my size for certain, and always bought bras in various sizes, anywhere from 36A,B,C to 38A,B, and while my bras would fit ok, they didn't fit fantastic. I assumed it was simply because I didn't have breasts. The best fitting bra I had then was 36A. Even so, I had a feeling it could fit better. So that sparked my interest in finding my real bra size and finding a properly fitted bra. And this brought me to ABTF, which has been amazing to increase my knowledge of the world of bras. The bra size calculator gave me 36DD. So I started with Aerie, and ordered various sizes in 36C,D, DD. I didn't know then that the size I got from the calculator was 2 cups too big. I found that 36C fit me best. But I felt the band wasn't tight enough (the band needs to be tight enough so that when you "scoop and swoop", your breasts can stay in the bra cups).

So next, I ordered from Amazon, this time in 36C,D and 34D (sister size of 36C). Again, the 36C fit me best, as well as a 34D.

Annoyingly, different brands and cuts of bras make fitting very difficult. Not all 36C bras fit me well. Some cups cut into my breasts (while a larger 36D was way too big), some had cups that were ridiculously small (probably because it was meant for narrow breasts). It was frustrating at first, I admit.

Eventually, I started ordering from Taobao (China's Amazon), and finally settled on my true bra size of 34C.

I will be happy to try to answer any questions. And if you're brave, you can post in ABTF as well. They are trans/CD friendly.

Wow, you have great taste in bra's. I have to wear a 38 C right now. It's funny how many places talk about "sister" size's in bra's. But I don't really find that to be true. For instance many places say if you have to go up a band size, drop the equal number of cup sizes.

I am here to tell ya, that a 40 B, a lot of times, is not the same cup size as a 40 B. Usually, if I feel like I have to "stuff" my breast into a 38C, I go to the same bra style, maker and material but in a size 40 B. Sometimes great, but most times I have a little play in the cups.

Go figure.

(13-07-2015, 05:53 PM)iaboy Wrote:  Wow, you have great taste in bra's. I have to wear a 38 C right now. It's funny how many places talk about "sister" size's in bra's. But I don't really find that to be true. For instance many places say if you have to go up a band size, drop the equal number of cup sizes.

I am here to tell ya, that a 40 B, a lot of times, is not the same cup size as a 40 B. Usually, if I feel like I have to "stuff" my breast into a 38C, I go to the same bra style, maker and material but in a size 40 B. Sometimes great, but most times I have a little play in the cups.

Go figure.

Well you do have a point. Sister sizes don't necessarily have the same cup size. So it's all trial and error. Even genetic girls have this problem (just look at all the request for help threads on ABTF!)

Types of Bras

Cups

Unlined bras

Unlined bras refers to bras where the cup is very thin, usually lace. They are very forgiveable in terms of fit, and keep a low profile under clothes.
[Image: 41R%2BstTjF5L._SL190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg]

Lightly lined/Molded

Lightly lined bras have thicker cups which are usually molded, but not padded. Because of the molded cups, they give more shaping and definition to the breasts. It also means they are less forgiving in terms of fit. For example, if the band is stretched too much, the cups might become deformed. Or if the cup was designed for narrow/projected breasts, then shallow breasts will simply not fit (probably too pointed cups).
[Image: 512vUHrCz1L._SL190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg]

Push-up Bras

Push-up bras are padded bras to push and lift breasts. The "add 1/2 sizes" push-ups have thicker padding.
[Image: 41lIM1Y5EiL._SL190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg]

Cut

Full Coverage
[Image: 51JY9hQrgnL._SL246_SX190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg]

Demi
[Image: 41lIM1Y5EiL._SL190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg]

Balconette
[Image: 514sUYl44zL._SL190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg]

Plunge
[Image: 41CripT90SL._SL190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg][Image: 41sqnc2NUTL._SL190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg]

My thoughts:
I wear bras in office, and so I have lots of unlined bras. I've found that the brand and style of unlined bras also make a difference. Some actually have very nice shaping, and some even give a slight push-up effect. Some lace will show through clothes. T-shirt bras usually have some projection, which can be difficult to hide as well. Lately, I've started to wear more fitted clothes, and I've found that fitted clothes can disguise molded or even push-up bras better than loose clothes (because two mounds on the chest of an otherwise loose/baggy T-shirt is very obvious).

Dark colors, prints and pockets are great for hiding bras. With light colors, go with bras that are skin color.

Thanks, Val. Some very helpful pointers (not a pun)! I don't think I have enough to merit a bra, but the comment about baggy tee shirts is illuminating. Of course, there is a side of me that would like to get noticed more or at least to leave them guessing.

Underwire Width

Most of us have shallow breasts. So we need bras with wide enough bra cups. Unfortunately, most of the time, no one measures how wide the cups are. But if you look carefully at the bra on the model, you can roughly tell if the cup is narrow or wide.

Narrow:
[Image: 915E58xr2fL._UX385_.jpg]

Average:
[Image: 91heZyVatJL._UX385_.jpg]

Wide:
[Image: 91zuUv25WZL._UX385_.jpg]

Favorite places to shop

Amazon

Difficult to navigate the wide range of bras. Requires a selective eye to pick out quality bras. Can pick up great deals if you're lucky. Shortlist those sold by Amazon for free shipping on $35+ (or Prime), and free returns (if indicated) within 30 days.

Example:
[Image: 6KRAnKC.png]

Aerie

Aerie targets the 15-25 year old market, so the bras may be a bit young-ish. But I find some of the bras very pretty. I like how they use real models without touch up, and you can see the bra in your size (or sister size). However, regular prices tend to be quite high. I normally wait for sales (which happens quite regularly) and shop the clearance, where you can pick up bras under $20. Free shipping with any bra purchase. Free returns.

Herroom

Great collection of bras. Fitter's comments are very useful for comparing bras. Every bra has a picture with measurement markings, useful for comparing cup width. Prices are on higher end. Free shipping on $70+. Free returns within 30 days.

Example:
[Image: lily-of-france-lof001-2121260-ns7x.jpg]

Walmart

Walmart is the place for cheap bras. I've only just ordered from them, so no comment yet. Free shipping on $50+ (currently $35+). Returns within 90 days.

(15-07-2015, 01:20 PM)spanky Wrote:  Thanks, Val. Some very helpful pointers (not a pun)! I don't think I have enough to merit a bra, but the comment about baggy tee shirts is illuminating. Of course, there is a side of me that would like to get noticed more or at least to leave them guessing.

You're very welcome, spanky. I have that side of me too, which is why I'm starting to wear pushups under my clothes. Wink

Thanks for the very informative information, I'm looking forward to using it on my next eBay or Ali express visit

Yes, this is very informative. Thanks! I never thought about underwire
width before and also about band size keeping the scoop and swoop in place. Of course, it makes perfect sense. Going bra shopping now. Smile

Thanks for the info.
The male cup size fudge factor makes things a lot simpler and is in line with my reality. Knowing the real cup size does make it less frustrating when i am trying to narrow down the possibilities.
The one thing that the basic video does not address is breast shape and position. The only way to deal with your own unique situation is to try on as many different styles and manufactures as it takes to find a style that fits properly. The sad thing is that there are so many pretty bras out there that just do not fit my body shape properly. Sad
Oh well, it is just part of the quest for perfect breasts.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon