Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Thread Closed

Trans Language

You're right, OH, there is much ignorance out there concerning transgender issues. As, Miranda pointed out, the language is in flux. I didn't accused any one of malicious intent. Also, I don't expect people to "magically change overnight". I was informing people here about the change in language. Information exchange is one purpose for this forum.

Words come to mean certain things, their meanings change, and going forward it will be assumed at a minimum that a person using certain out of favor words are either doing it to be mean, or don't know the difference. Either way it doesn't reflect well on the speaker.

You show your misunderstanding of the word "transgender" as well. The American Psychological Association says:

Transgender is an umbrella term for persons whose gender identity, gender expression or behavior does not conform to that typically associated with the sex to which they were assigned at birth.

One can identify as a man, but still be transgender. Gender identity exists on a spectrum, and the word "transgender" covers all gender variant nature.

One does not have to want to transition to live as a woman to be transgender. Someone who does, like some of us here, is called a transsexual, or better yet, a trans woman or a trans man.

Here is a link to some basic information provided by the American Psychological Association:

I hope that you and others will read some of it.

Answers to Your Questions About Transgender People, Gender Identity and Gender Expression

BTW, note that no where in this information is the word "transgendered" used.

Clara Smile

I doubt anybody meant offense by using the term transgendered, (self included.)

It's the pot calling the kettle black and typical troll tactics.

Example: foolish contradictions, deliberately offensive insults (inferring ignorance) to all who use "transgendered" in a sentence. More follow-up comments to gain attention and disrupt the forum, or to make trouble.

(22-07-2015, 05:29 AM)ClaraKay Wrote:  Reading the various posts here on BN I've noticed a lot of misuse of terminology that can lead to miscommunication, confusion, and even be offensive.

(24-07-2015, 01:32 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  Ignorance can be remedied rather easily; bias not so easily.

(24-07-2015, 03:12 AM)ClaraKay Wrote:  I don't call male-identifying cross-dressers 'transvestites', or men who want breasts 'fetishists'.

(24-07-2015, 10:46 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  Yuppers. If you go back over a year ago, you find that I, too, used the word "transgendered".

Yeah, you did:

(11-07-2015, 12:44 AM)ClaraKay Wrote:  How about creating a new group specifically for us transgender types? We'd have a place to meet without interference from the guys with a breast fetish. Not that we would exclude anyone, but many here prefer not to associate with us, anyway.

Clara Wink

(24-07-2015, 02:08 PM)ClaraKay Wrote:  Well, I think my purpose in creating this thread has been accomplished.

(25-07-2015, 12:34 AM)ClaraKay Wrote:  You're right, OH, there is much ignorance out there concerning transgender issues. As, Miranda pointed out, the language is in flux. I didn't accused any one of malicious intent. Also, I don't expect people to "magically change overnight". I was informing people here about the change in language. Information exchange is one purpose for this forum.

Words come to mean certain things, their meanings change, and going forward it will be assumed at a minimum that a person using certain out of favor words are either doing it to be mean, or don't know the difference. Either way it doesn't reflect well on the speaker.

You show your misunderstanding of the word "transgender" as well. The American Psychological Association says:

Transgender is an umbrella term for persons whose gender identity, gender expression or behavior does not conform to that typically associated with the sex to which they were assigned at birth.

One can identify as a man, but still be transgender. Gender identity exists on a spectrum, and the word "transgender" covers all gender variant nature.

One does not have to want to transition to live as a woman to be transgender. Someone who does, like some of us here, is called a transsexual, or better yet, a trans woman or a trans man.

Here is a link to some basic information provided by the American Psychological Association:

I hope that you and others will read some of it.

Answers to Your Questions About Transgender People, Gender Identity and Gender Expression

BTW, note that no where in this information is the word "transgendered" used.

Clara Smile

So why have you referred to men who do not wish to transition but only grow breasts as "guys with a breast fetish"?

I never there was anything wrong with just, "woman". Especially if you got the parts to back it up. Any of the "trans" terminology really only matters (if at all!) when, say, someone you haven't seen in a long time is talking to your family or a friend and said family/friend tells them that you had a sex change by saying that you are whatever trans term is used. And only then just to sort of reduce the "shock" of seeing the new you when they finally DO get to see you again. Or, if you get into a serious relationship with someone and feel you SHOULD tell them what you use to be just to be fair to them. Otherwise, screw it!! You're a woman!! Except for the genitalia, you always HAVE been!!

(25-07-2015, 01:05 AM)WantAPair Wrote:  I never there was anything wrong with just, "woman". Especially if you got the parts to back it up. Any of the "trans" terminology really only matters (if at all!) when, say, someone you haven't seen in a long time is talking to your family or a friend and said family/friend tells them that you had a sex change by saying that you are whatever trans term is used. And only then just to sort of reduce the "shock" of seeing the new you when they finally DO get to see you again. Or, if you get into a serious relationship with someone and feel you SHOULD tell them what you use to be just to be fair to them. Otherwise, screw it!! You're a woman!! Except for the genitalia, you always HAVE been!!

I totally agree, WAP. And if you've had GRS, even the genitalia match! Tongue

Clara

(25-07-2015, 01:09 AM)ClaraKay Wrote:  
(25-07-2015, 01:05 AM)WantAPair Wrote:  I never there was anything wrong with just, "woman". Especially if you got the parts to back it up. Any of the "trans" terminology really only matters (if at all!) when, say, someone you haven't seen in a long time is talking to your family or a friend and said family/friend tells them that you had a sex change by saying that you are whatever trans term is used. And only then just to sort of reduce the "shock" of seeing the new you when they finally DO get to see you again. Or, if you get into a serious relationship with someone and feel you SHOULD tell them what you use to be just to be fair to them. Otherwise, screw it!! You're a woman!! Except for the genitalia, you always HAVE been!!

I totally agree, WAP. And if you've had GRS, even the genitalia match! Tongue

Clara
Exactly!! You've, then, got your full membership card!!
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon