Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Slightly annoyed

Went in for my driver's licence renewal today. Asked if I could change my name since, obviously, I'm not "the same person" I was 10 years ago.

Not only did I get shut down to change my name, they wouldn't even reissue as license under my old name since I don't look anything like the guy on my old card. If I want a license, I need to get proof of identity and name, and then I need to take the whole thing over, including the written test.

wow, that's really messed up.

WOW I'm amazed that you would have that much trouble in CA!!
I think I'd try again with a supervisor. Thats just too much stupidity.
I'd bring what ever proof of ID that you have, for backup, and refuse to go through the drivers test again.
The only thing they can stand on is the name change unless you have legally had it changed.
Bobbi

Have you changed your name with SSA yet? Think that's a requirement everywhere in the US.

(27-07-2015, 01:02 PM)OHboobs Wrote:  Have you changed your name with SSA yet? Think that's a requirement everywhere in the US.

OB might be right on the money with that thought.

Go to the probate court ( or whoever handles name changes in your county), and change your name. I did so and even though some facial recognition program said that I wasn't the same person and rejected it anyways, I was able to use the name change order and my new SS card to get the state trooper office to override the software so I Could get my DL.

Of course, you will need to get a new SS card.

1) name change order
2) SS card
3)DL
And then use the last two to change all your accounts. In some states you can reissue your birth certificate gender/name, in some you can't, and in some you can merely have them amended.

Yeah, I know it's a hassle. good luck.

(28-07-2015, 03:49 AM)SarahSchilling Wrote:  Go to the probate court ( or whoever handles name changes in your county), and change your name. I did so and even though some facial recognition program said that I wasn't the same person and rejected it anyways, I was able to use the name change order and my new SS card to get the state trooper office to override the software so I Could get my DL.

Of course, you will need to get a new SS card.

1) name change order
2) SS card
3)DL
And then use the last two to change all your accounts. In some states you can reissue your birth certificate gender/name, in some you can't, and in some you can merely have them amended.

Yeah, I know it's a hassle. good luck.

Almost bad as a woman who gets married and want to go with her hubby last name. What a nightmare. Just think, that was EVEN before 911 happened.

I hope you are getting things sorted out ok now etna.

I was finally able to get a license renewed under my given name, with an updated picture, but that's the only thing that was updated.

Yes go to County Clerks office file for name change, are you going for biologically female. Just pay the fee for a new name/sex or you need to see the Judge if the Clerks can't handle it all. I have filed my own court cases representing myself and the fee is half what a legal aid will charge. I go to the CA court web sight and get Adobe documents and type my form myself. Yes the Clerk helped me. Even if I had to go to the window multiple times its cheaper.

Billyboy

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon