Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

black cohosh

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but here goes.

I have just had some blood work done, and my doctor was very concerned about my extremely low iron deficiency. I have a other appointment to see him later on today. But in the meantime I did some searching.

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/black+cohosh...cy+anaemia

I'm guessing it's time to cut back on the black cohosh ! Although I do not take a lot, and only one week on, 3 weeks off it seems it's still enough to mess things up.

On the plus side .. My T levels seem to be looking good.

Testosterone has dropped from 15.7 to 0.4
Free T has dropped from 72 to 1, from my last readings in April.

The doctor sugests I cut back on the black cohosh !

Could it be your iron deficiency is caused by something other than black cohosh? In that case, cutting back on the black cohosh won't help. What about taking iron supplements to resolve your iron deficiency? Or maybe eating foods that are rich in iron?

(19-09-2015, 04:38 AM)flamesabers Wrote:  Could it be your iron deficiency is caused by something other than black cohosh? In that case, cutting back on the black cohosh won't help. What about taking iron supplements to resolve your iron deficiency? Or maybe eating foods that are rich in iron?

Who knows if there is a direct relationship between Serum Iron and Black Cohosh. But I would assume the Doctor is trying to explore the easier explanations first. I can tell you that having "Iron Infusions", according to my Daughter" is not fun. And if the deficiency is severe enough, that is what will happen.

I would say what the Doctor suggests, and what Flame has suggested is the most prudent way to attack the iron shortcomings. Just my 2cents worth.

Umm, this may sound stupid, but one of the symptoms of low T is mild anemia. Given you are intentionally driving your T down to almost zero, does it not make sense there should be iron deficiency and possibly anemia?

(10-09-2015, 11:54 PM)jannet.duff Wrote:  On the plus side .. My T levels seem to be looking good.

Testosterone has dropped from 15.7 to 0.4
Free T has dropped from 72 to 1, from my last readings in April.

The doctor sugests I cut back on the black cohosh !

Hi Janet,

Soy (phytoestrogens, that includes PM) coffee, sodas, etc lower iron absorption levels, just supplement with an iron supplement as suggested.

The 15.7 to .04 (reported in nnmoL) translates to 452 ng/dl to 115 ng/dl. The free T values doesn't make sense. Normal free T for males: 9-30 ng/dL, can you verify please. The link below could help calculate Free T

How much black cohosh have you been taking?, are you taking it with anything else. Like I said before, black cohosh inhibits (suppresses) the LH (lutenizing hormone) which prevents the HPA (hypothalamus pituitary axis) signaling the testes (leydig cells) to produce testosterone. Effective approach, accept if combined with an aromatase to facilitate FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) synthesis with E2 (or phytoestrogen) has a potential of a one-two punch. Big Grin (well......that's my new working theory anyways).

Free and bioavailable testosterone calculator
http://www.issam.ch/freetesto.htm

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon