Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

NBE and Diabetes

(07-01-2016, 07:23 AM)6of1 Wrote:  
(05-01-2016, 07:21 AM)lilmikey Wrote:  Ok, apparently I'm on an island being a type 1. If any others exist
please contact me.

Yeah, seems no one with type 1 is around, though I
thought I had read someone else with type 1 frequented
these parts.

Don't give up!

Thanks 6of1. I went ahead and started the PM anyway. It's been nearly
a month and I haven't noticed any detriment to my blood sugar levels.
I've lost 6 pounds, and need to lose a lot more. So far, so good.

Hi Lilmikey

Don't really know a lot about type1, which is why I wasn't sure what I could add to this post for you. Still trying to understand type2 to be honest. But from what I understand type1 should not in itself be a block on setting up an NBE programme. In one way it could be argued you are better equipped, in that to manage your type1 you have to keep a very close eye on your blood sugar levels so will be able to notice any changes more quickly?

Know the battle with weight all too well and good going on the progress made! Only thing I can say is to be aware of that as your oestrogen levels start to increase, and particularly if you start going for aromatase, the body will start to respond in a more female manor to fat retention. Speaking personally, I had the issue that once my programme shifted into high gear was also when I starting to load up the lb's in both female AND male areas too. Not quite the look I was going for. Not trying to put you off, but by being aware of what the issues might be you will be able to avoid the situation I seem to be in at the mo. Fore warned is fore armed :-)

Oh, and it's generally as you get into the second month you should start noticing some differences. Exciting times!

Huggy.

(04-12-2015, 12:08 AM)Huggy Wrote:  We will have to compare blood test results. You show me yours and I will show you mine ;-)

5.5 Big Grin

last time it was 6.8

(09-01-2016, 03:12 AM)6of1 Wrote:  
(04-12-2015, 12:08 AM)Huggy Wrote:  We will have to compare blood test results. You show me yours and I will show you mine ;-)

5.5 Big Grin

last time it was 6.8

Ok, now that's just showing off!

And you have every right to, too! Brilliant!! :-)

Got my appointment on Friday. Will let you know my results then.

Seriously, well done :-D

(11-01-2016, 07:22 AM)Huggy Wrote:  

5.5 Big Grin

last time it was 6.8

Thanks!

The biggest challenge is keeping it up... Smile

(18-01-2016, 09:22 PM)6of1 Wrote:  
(11-01-2016, 07:22 AM)Huggy Wrote:  

5.5 Big Grin

last time it was 6.8

Thanks!

The biggest challenge is keeping it up... Smile

Was a mixup with my appointments, got to wait until Monday now! gurrr....

Did you try Amla?

And if I may ask, what have you been doing to bring it down so well?

(21-01-2016, 02:47 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Was a mixup with my appointments, got to wait until Monday now! gurrr....

Just hate that when that happens, especially if you take time out of a busy work day to get there...

(21-01-2016, 02:47 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Did you try Amla?

No, not yet - I may add some in, I am itching to add some East Indian food into my diet. Though my fave is Japanese.

(21-01-2016, 02:47 PM)Huggy Wrote:  And if I may ask, what have you been doing to bring it down so well?

Carb counting, diet (ick Smile ) exercise (I am now addicted to my exercise routine Blush doing 5 days out of 7, now up to an hour and 25 minutes worth. Tongue
I use the stairs at work instead of the elevator.
MetFormin (My Dr. has said we may wean me off of the MetFormin if my numbers continue as they are - I am now getting
the occasional home test below 5 - which makes me happy, as long as I don't go hypoglycaemic)
I love my rice, prefer white rice, but have cut my intake by 2/3. I was eating up to 3 cups or more per day.
I was also siphoning back the ginger ale pretty
heavily just before the diagnosis, so it is now reserved for when I have a stomach issue or flu. No fruit juice, which I also
used to drink pretty heavily, along with iced tea, gatoraid, and lemonaid.
No longer use refined sugars, unless I am cooking something which has it in the sauce.

Basically, I told my Dr. I had switched into stubborn mode, I was going to keep my limbs and my eyesight.

To see how I am doing, I use software to track diet and exercise. (The software I use is called crosstrainer - buggy, but it's
OK for now, I am writing software of my own for this purpose, but it is a slow process)

How have you been feeling lately?
Keeping your spirits up, I hope?

Hiya

5.9!... and stable!!... and without meds!!! Am I chuffed or what?

And just as good... my cholesterol has gone down from 4 to 2.9. So still a bit of work to do there but that's a big move in the right direction.

Will admit that my CFS has kicked in over the last few months which has somewhat put the skids under a lot of my plans, including staying properly focused on my diabetes. But I was genuinely surprised at the results as although I haven't been stupid, considering my diet (and especially exercise) hasn't been as disciplined as it should have been I can only really put the numbers down to the Amla which is the one things I have tried to keep regular.

Very pleased to say I seem to be getting by wind back at last and I am starting to get some focus again. So for me it's a bit more discipline with what I am shoving in the pie hole and levering my butt off the couch! See, I have a plan :-)

There are a couple of series running at the moment on TV which are dealing with health and weight loss. Some of the best stuff I have seen in a long while. Got a couple of links for you and it's a current series so hopefully more to come.

Artificial sweeteners. It's been known for a long time they should really carry a health warning. During the programme a test group had their blood work monitored and IN A WEEK their blood sugar went from the normal range into borderline diabetic! Their cholesterol was spiking too!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles...bad-for-me

Changing when you eat will make you healthier and loose weight. Basically no calories after 6.00 in the evening and pushing out for an hour or so having breakfast to create a mini fast. EVERONE in the test group, even those who didn't keep to it fully, their blood sugar and cholesterol dropped and they all lost weight. and that's without making any other changes to their diet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles...meal-times

Another item explains why.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles...bad-for-me

Have just started putting these two into practice myself and my tummy loves me. Definitely going to try and keep this up.

Oh, and hitting the gym is great if you want to get proper fit for sports and stuff, but for weight loss just keeping active during the day is much more effective. Doesn't even have to be anything hugely strenuous (though getting a bit out of puff every so often is a good thing). Basically, don't sit down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles...-housework

Hope you don't mind me throwing all that at you but a bit excited :-)

Hey, excellent going with the exercise and taking the stairs. That's my next battle.

And brilliant news with possibly getting off the MetaFormin! It does have it's place but much better to not need it and risk the side effects, which are many and scary.

So your weakness is fizzy pop and ginger ale huh? Don't blame you, but for me it's my regular cuppa (tea). Hey, I am British so no real surprises there ;-) Getting better, but sometimes there is nothing that quite touches the spot like it!

Would imagine you must be feeling the benefits of all you efforts? Hopefully I'm not too far behind you :-)

Keep well and happy.

Huggy.

(26-01-2016, 09:22 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Hiya

5.9!... and stable!!... and without meds!!! Am I chuffed or what?

And just as good... my cholesterol has gone down from 4 to 2.9. So still a bit of work to do there but that's a big move in the right direction.

Wonderful (y) Smile
Keep it up!
If you keep that up, you will feel much better!

(26-01-2016, 09:22 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Will admit that my CFS has kicked in over the last few months which has somewhat put the skids under a lot of my plans, including staying properly focused on my diabetes. But I was genuinely surprised at the results as although I haven't been stupid, considering my diet (and especially exercise) hasn't been as disciplined as it should have been I can only really put the numbers down to the Amla which is the one things I have tried to keep regular.

Very pleased to say I seem to be getting by wind back at last and I am starting to get some focus again. So for me it's a bit more discipline with what I am shoving in the pie hole and levering my butt off the couch! See, I have a plan :-)

Yeah, that food discipline thing, tough when you're a foodaholic! Wink

(26-01-2016, 09:22 PM)Huggy Wrote:  There are a couple of series running at the moment on TV which are dealing with health and weight loss. Some of the best stuff I have seen in a long while. Got a couple of links for you and it's a current series so hopefully more to come.

Some certainly seem to get it right.

(26-01-2016, 09:22 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Artificial sweeteners. It's been known for a long time they should really carry a health warning. During the programme a test group had their blood work monitored and IN A WEEK their blood sugar went from the normal range into borderline diabetic! Their cholesterol was spiking too!

Yeah, and they don't really taste that good either...Tongue

(26-01-2016, 09:22 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Changing when you eat will make you healthier and loose weight. Basically no calories after 6.00 in the evening and pushing out for an hour or so having breakfast to create a mini fast.

I have to eat a snack before bed or I can almost gurantee an intestinal cramp by 5:00 am. Sad

(26-01-2016, 09:22 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Oh, and hitting the gym is great if you want to get proper fit for sports and stuff, but for weight loss just keeping active during the day is much more effective. Doesn't even have to be anything hugely strenuous (though getting a bit out of puff every so often is a good thing). Basically, don't sit down.

I injured myself overdoing it on the exercise bike at the gym, that's why I gained a bunch of weight back.
So I am avoiding the gym right now, just doing my exercises in the evening at home, maybe a longish walk as well.

(26-01-2016, 09:22 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Hope you don't mind me throwing all that at you but a bit excited :-)

deservedly excited! Those numbers are worth a shout or two! Wink

(26-01-2016, 09:22 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Hey, excellent going with the exercise and taking the stairs. That's my next battle.

Thanks! I am addicted to them now, I do them in the late evening (supposedly the worst time, adrenalin release I guess)
But I sleep better afterwards.

(26-01-2016, 09:22 PM)Huggy Wrote:  And brilliant news with possibly getting off the MetaFormin! It does have it's place but much better to not need it and risk the side effects, which are many and scary.

Yeah, all pharma scares me, as so many can have nasty side effects, if only it had an estrogenic effect! Wink

(26-01-2016, 09:22 PM)Huggy Wrote:  So your weakness is fizzy pop and ginger ale huh? Don't blame you, but for me it's my regular cuppa (tea). Hey, I am British so no real surprises there ;-) Getting better, but sometimes there is nothing that quite touches the spot like it!

Yup, Gingerale and gatorade.... May as well sit with the sugar bowl and eat it by the spoonful. Sad

But, I come from British background so, I like Proper English tea every now and then, but it has to be made proper, not
North American style... Wink

(26-01-2016, 09:22 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Would imagine you must be feeling the benefits of all you efforts? Hopefully I'm not too far behind you :-)

Yup, and since they are geared for tg/ts, I am starting to see some "interesting" results. Wink

(26-01-2016, 09:22 PM)Huggy Wrote:  Keep well and happy.

Huggy.

You too my friend! Smile

Hiya 6

This may sound silly, but apart from the CFS and being a bit lardy I am not actually doing to bad at the mo :-) Though that is a bit like saying that apart from the engine being blown up the car is a nice runner ;-) But I am working on it!

My relationship with food has been a bit weird lately. Trying so hard to focus on loosing the weight I can't enjoy it so much (I am normally really good at that bit). But what has happened is that my appetite has dropped too. I noticed it first once I got into the swing of taking the Amla, but it was when I started with Green Tea Extract that there was a definite reduction of my appetite. I still can get hungry but I am doing better at refusing to give in, and after a short while the hunger drops down again. Not showing too much on the scales yet but the podge seems to be getting a little squidgier.

So you are a secret snacker then? Suppose it's just a matter of choosing something that is slow release rather than hitting the system with a big spike of sugar and fats?

I am getting really impressed about what they are learning about exercise. Fitness training is a whole other game of course, but for weight loss just keeping active throughout the day is being shown in study after study to be surprisingly effective. Especially getting out of puff every so often. ScarletBloom reminded me of a study I read recently where we actually expel most of our fat loss when we breathe! I did a quick Google and there is a lot of info out there, but to give a taster I have included this link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30494009

Took a while but I have (mostly) broken my addiction with fizzy pop. It's those gorgeous white chocolate biscuits and proper Scottish shortcake that's my current downfall! I have had to ban them all from the house! But maan! They are soooo nice!

Had to grin at your "proper" tea comment :-D Quite right too! I know our American cousins do try (bless um :-) But there is only one way to have a decent brew. (Heheheh... Wars have been started over less ;-)

OoooOOOOoooo..... What's this about "interesting" results???? You can't just drop that into a conversation and leave it hanging??

Huggy.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon